WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Into The Wild" Trailer

Quick note to those with solid Googling abilities...the "Into the Wild" Trailer exists. It looks good...the narrative probably has more to do with Chris's internal voice than the tone of the book. Anyway, I think that we can make the trailer better...we have the technology. To take this trailer out back and put in a whole bunch of new scenes. Make it faster, stronger. The king of trailers.

Johnny

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Into the Wild

Here's the IMDB entry if anyone is curious:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

Looks like it is coming out this fall. Some fairly big names attached to it, too.

Trailer can be found here:
    http://media.movies.ign.com/media/94...34/vids_1.html

Thanks for the heads up...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Mags,
    Thanks for the link. Looks great

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

yes they did some filming round Healy AK..on Stampede rd,,,the community well located there,

you can ride your snowmacine or take a dog team to the bus pretty easy.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Default 2 Thumbs Sideways

The trailer looks pretty good, lots of big named folks tied onto it. Its been a while since I read the book, but it seems to me the movie is looking to do the same thing the text did - turn a rich kid swearing off his parents into some kind of martyr.
    Sorry, but I ain't buying into that story.
    More than likely, our hero Chris was just a kid looking to have some fun while there were no responsibilities and then the luck ran out.
    What? Me worry??

"What does the N stand for?"

"North"

Damn I want a Thru Hike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    The trailer looks pretty good, lots of big named folks tied onto it. Its been a while since I read the book, but it seems to me the movie is looking to do the same thing the text did - turn a rich kid swearing off his parents into some kind of martyr.
    Sorry, but I ain't buying into that story.
    More than likely, our hero Chris was just a kid looking to have some fun while there were no responsibilities and then the luck ran out.
    Yea, but ya gotta admire him for actually doing what alot of us dream of. Just going!

RR, if the book was out to make Chris into a martyr it failed miserably. I'd say reaction is 50/25/25 between idiot/martyr/unlucky. Idiot more than not tho......"He was only a half mile from a road, man, what an idiot."

I didn't come away from the book thinking about the rich kid thing or the way in which he died. It was the life he had lived up to that point that was incredible to read about. Kinda the same thing that made Walk Across America so great. There is something fantastic about reading a book where the main character is living an abundant and free life.

Like Grizzly Man, this kid will be more remembered by how he died instead of how he lived. Seems a shame cos he looks to have crammed in some good stuff in his short time.
    Yahtzee

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    RR, if the book was out to make Chris into a martyr it failed miserably. I'd say reaction is 50/25/25 between idiot/martyr/unlucky. Idiot more than not tho......"He was only a half mile from a road, man, what an idiot."

I didn't come away from the book thinking about the rich kid thing or the way in which he died. It was the life he had lived up to that point that was incredible to read about. Kinda the same thing that made Walk Across America so great. There is something fantastic about reading a book where the main character is living an abundant and free life.

Like Grizzly Man, this kid will be more remembered by how he died instead of how he lived. Seems a shame cos he looks to have crammed in some good stuff in his short time.
    ???...better to burn out, than to just fade away???
    Funny, I ain't burnt out, don't want to fade away.
    My thinking now, is to stick around, maybe, contribute some more.
    Go hard, leave enough to keep going...."the wisdom to know the difference."
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Lowspark View Post
    Yea, but ya gotta admire him for actually doing what alot of us dream of. Just going!
    mental illness helps. he and that grizzly idiot were from the same stupidity mold.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    mental illness helps. he and that grizzly idiot were from the same stupidity mold.

Again, LW shows his complete incapacity for anything but snark and negativity. It is a good thing for you, LW, you have a new crop of unsuspecting hikers every year to peddle your act to. You are the AT equivalent of an accountant on a Harley.

"If you didn't hike the year I hiked under the same conditions I chose to hike with all the money I inherited than you are not a hiker but a stupid loser" Every LW post.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Again, LW shows his complete incapacity for anything but snark and negativity. It is a good thing for you, LW, you have a new crop of unsuspecting hikers every year to peddle your act to. You are the AT equivalent of an accountant on a Harley.

"If you didn't hike the year I hiked under the same conditions I chose to hike with all the money I inherited than you are not a hiker but a stupid loser" Every LW post.
    c'mon honey, where's your sense of humor? don't be so snarky and negative and that quote above is not mine. never said it quit makin' stuff up. an accountant on a harley? explain your little self

Default Camp

Yes, I admit it. I made up the quote. I take full responsibility if anyone believed Lone Wolf authored the quote.

Accountant on a Harley: Not as bad as they make themselves out to be.

I left my sense of humor at camp this morning sitting right next to my ability to put up with persistent negativity.
    Yahtzee

I dig it. I read that book faster than any other in my life....yes. Its crazy how movie trailers can make everything look epic. I'm looking forward to it.

What kid hasn't tried to grab the Big One and nearly died trying? Reinhold Messner and his adventures, the guy that cut his arm off in the slot canyon, Scott Fisher on Mt Everest, and the hundreds of other young bucks that had the call of the wild in their blood.

Reading the book reminded me of myself when I was younger. Getting lost with a full pack in a Pisgah canyon and nearly falling to my death in a panic, going on a 40 day grape diet thinking I could find god as a fruitarian; what good is youth if it isn't an attempt at discovery in the quest for freedom and Nature? We all make mistakes, even the big boys like Scott Fisher and his New Zealand counterpart screw up and bite the big one.

We all make mistakes

How true. In fact, I have extras if anyone needs them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    What kid hasn't tried to grab the Big One and nearly died trying?
    What makes me worried about the movie is that it makes him look to be some action-adventure star.

McCandless' story struck a chord with many people because it did reflect a certain segment of society: Young people who are a bit idealistic and romantic who yearn for the big adventure. Like many young people, he was ill prepared and in over his head. Unlike many people who did stupid things in their early 20s (God knows I did!), his luck came up badly. "There but for the grace of Go go I..."

If things were just a bit different, he probably would have survived. He would probably be one of these people you meet who talk about the crazy stuff he did in his early 20s. At the end of the book, McCandless displayed signs that he was ready to move on. Ready to enter a different stage of life.

INTO THE WILD is a good book because it does explore this pull many people have felt at some point in their life (and still feel). That is why many people related to it.

Having said that, Chris did some stupid things. No map. Not the right gear. Dying in an area that would not be considered wilderness by western US standards...much less Alaskan standards. As I said, things could have turned out much differently for him and his family.

My fear of the movie is that it will make him something he is not. And, in my opinion, the power of the book will be lost. A flawed, bright and idealistic guy he was (like many of us at some point in our lives). An eco-adventure-warrior-poet (as the trailer seemed to show), he was not.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I read this book a few years ago while staying at Elmer's in Hot Springs. I didn't see anything heroic in what he did...my impression is that he was suffering from some type of mental illness or breakdown. The whole weird thing about abandoning the car that the rangers were later able to start easily was a telling example.

This is not a criticism, but he didn't strike me as much different than the homeless people I see every day...he just had some money and people to look out for him. If he had lived, he may well have ended up on the street.

Scott Fisher on Mt Everest

Sorry, I don't find Fischer heroic. He, and others, died because Fischer didn't follow his own rules about a safe time to turn around on summit day.

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    If he had lived, he may well have ended up on the street.

I don't think so. I know people who lived a bohemian-type life style. Then they got a little older, settle down a bit, and laugh about the crazy things they did when 21 years old.

The difference? Chris McCandless had a large amount of bad luck that was exacerbated by his inexperience.

As I said, I enjoyed the book for many different reasons. I hope the movie does not change the focus of the book and makes Chris McCandless out to be something he was not.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++