WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Where do you put your pack when sleeping in grizzley country?

I'm heading to Glacier national park in a week, and I plan on doing at least three or four nights in the backcountry there... I'm hiking/backpacking with my girlfriend and another couple, and we have bear canisters for our food. But where do we keep the our packs while we sleep? On previous trips, we have hung them chest high using a strap wrapped around a tree. I would put it in my tent, but I have a seedhouse 2 and there is not much room in there. I'm afraid if I hang it a bear might think there is food in it, and destroy it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes with a stick View Post
    I'm heading to Glacier national park in a week, and I plan on doing at least three or four nights in the backcountry there... I'm hiking/backpacking with my girlfriend and another couple, and we have bear canisters for our food. But where do we keep the our packs while we sleep? On previous trips, we have hung them chest high using a strap wrapped around a tree. I would put it in my tent, but I have a seedhouse 2 and there is not much room in there. I'm afraid if I hang it a bear might think there is food in it, and destroy it.
    I'm sure you'll get good answers here, but have you asked a ranger? I mean, that's what we pay them for..

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Glacier

Glacier has designated campsites with bear hanging poles. There is also a designated cooking area away from the campsites.

Once you are done with dinner you can hang your food (and pack if need be) at the pole. Bring some parachute cord and you'll be OK.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

All the backcountry sites I stayed at in Glacier had bear cables/poles. On the cables, you might be able to get your pack up, but I doubt it would work on the poles.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

A Grizzly came by our site in the middle of the night, batted our packs, and sniffed our tent. No damage to the packs though .
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Don't forget your "triangle"....Cooking and eating, sleeping, food storage.

Keep 75-100 paces between the "big three" and do not sleep in the middle. Be very concerned about your "smellables" and keep them hung 6' (if possible) higher than your tallest person.

Even batteries, film / camera's, chapstick, water tablets,any food,toothpaste and tooth brush, etc.. are all considered "smellables" and must be hung. The clothes you've eaten and cooked in need to be hung. Wash / wipe your hands and face from eating really good before turning in.

Allways have an "oop's" bag! A small bag that is hung seperatley and can be taken down easily....for the little "oop's" that will always happen. Your about to go to bed and realize that you have a tube of chapstick or a piece of beef jerky in your pack. Maybe a small tube of tootpaste....anyway, it's a bag that can be easily taken down to prevent you from saying "it'll be alright"....and go on to bed.

most importantly, do what everyone else has said...consult a local ranger and get him to tell you what he wants so it'll be the way he wants it and if anything does happen they can't fine you as long as your following thier procedures!

What is the pole/cable system like at Glacier? Can the bear canister be left on the ground in the pole/cable area, or should I attempt to hang it?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=gold bond;375508]Don't forget your "triangle"....Cooking and eating, sleeping, food storage.

=================================

aka ...the BEAR-MUDA-Triangle !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Where do you put your pack when sleeping in grizzley country?

I hiked in Glacier National Park in "74." It's important to pay attention to every system they've put in place to help hikers stay safe in my opinion. There used to be deaths every year of hikers who didn't take it serious. I have a good bear can but a bear can play with it for miles if it gets a mind to. Anything you can do to secure your bear can is also a good idea. You can debate about hanging a bear bag on the AT but it's a silly thing to do in Glacier National Park and some other places. There are people who do all the wrong things and get away with it...are you feeling lucky?

The cables were strung between two trees. The poles had I think four hooks on each one at the top. The pole stood on it's own base. I don't know exactly how high they were. I found them harder to hang stuff on. The hooks are close together and multiple lines tended to get tangled together. It was also harder IMO to get the line over the hook. They do provide a separate pole to help push things up. I think it would be hard to get four backpacks up the pole. I went through Glacier with a large pack, as opposed I think to Mags, who I believe has a small pack. His experience is also more recent, I was there last in 2000.

I don't know the regs on bear cannisters, check with the park.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Amen slogger! They told me that my PCT-1 was nothing more than a "bear burrito"

I as well learned something on my last trip. We were advised by a Ranger to never put our tents in a "circle". He said that if a bear was to get inside of the circle it is possible the bear would get confused and not be able to get out and the bear would start to panick and no telling what the bear would do to get out! I had never heard that before.

The ranger advised us to put our tents eithe in a straight line or a "semi-circle" leaving about 3-5 feet between the tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I went through Glacier with a large pack, as opposed I think to Mags, who I believe has a small pack. His experience is also more recent, I was there last in 2000.

I don't know the regs on bear cannisters, check with the park.
    Very good point. I had one pack..and a small one at that.

Personally. I think as long as you hang food items (which includes food, cookware and toiletries such as toothpaste, sunscreen, etc.) you'll be fine.
    Make sure ALL food items are removed from the pack.

As a note it is easy to do the "Bearmuda" triangle (I like that! ), in Glacier. In fact, it is setup so you HAVE to do it.

Ultimately, I really wouldn't worry too much about the griz. You are four people, camping in areas that are nicely setup for that reason, etc.

Have a great time and enjoy the beauty of GNP!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I've heard that it's a good idea to cook dinner before setting up camp, then hike another mile or so and stopping for the night. That way there are no food odors wafting about at all, aside from the goodies in your pack, and those should be hung up anyway. You may want to wash your pack with soap and water if you've ever spilled something smelly on it, especially Dr Bronner's soaps. I've had rangers tell me that bears love the smell of peppermint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    I've heard that it's a good idea to cook dinner before setting up camp, then hike another mile or so and stopping for the night.
    It is what I did in the Sierra and the Bob Marshall Wilderness (for example). However, I don't think it is neccessary in GNP. In fact, I don't think the rangers would condone it considering the amount of people that use glacier in a given year. I suspect they would want cooking in the designated areas.

Here are some pics from Glacier to inspire those thinking of going there. Ignore my ugly mug and the scenery is awesome!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    However, I don't think it is neccessary in GNP. In fact, I don't think the rangers would condone it considering the amount of people that use glacier in a given year. I suspect they would want cooking in the designated areas.
    True, I hadn't considered that. I've been planning a trip to Yellowstone for years, that's probably where that would be most effective. Now if only my hiking partners would stop breaking legs and and spending money on frivolous things like engagement rings I might make it there someday...

I used my can last time I was in the GNP with no problems, I just left it near the bear poles that everyone else used. Regarding the pack, I just placed it against a tree with its cover in place to stay dry. The only issue I had was with the deer, I lost a hat and nearly lost a sock to these salt deprived critters! Enjoy, Glacier is absolutely gorgeous!

- Montana

Images

Bears are different in each park, and not just by species, but also by their habituation with hikers. Before going into a particular wilderness, try to speak to a ranger with actual backcountry experience in that park/wilderness (not all rangers do, so it's worth asking their familiarity with where you are actually going on a 'boots on ground' basis). Hanging a pack is useful, but don't underestimate the reach of even black bears. It can be hard to get a pack adequately away from all branches that a bear might use if it aggressively was interested in a pack.

Good advice I've gotten here in California (bears are very aggressive): Clean the outside of bear bins/bags with alcohol wipes after each use. You get food scent on the exteriors from handling them at meal times, and then that can rub off into the interior of your pack or even your sleepbag sack. One ranger also advised mouthwashing, brushing teeth and flossing at night, saying that he didn't want 'food breath' to attract a bear.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    The only issue I had was with the deer, I lost a hat and nearly lost a sock to these salt deprived critters!

As I was cooking dinner one night, I saw a deer run by my food-prep area — with a shirt in its mouth. In fact, it was MY hiking shirt! I yelled at it, startled it, and picked up my shirt, which was missing three buttons. With some safety pins, I managed to effect repairs and give it the stylish look all backcountry travelers desire.

Without the safety pins, the shirt would have been down to almost my navel. If my compass was on a gold chain, it would have been quite the dashing look.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Now if only my hiking partners would stop breaking legs and and spending money on frivolous things like engagement rings I might make it there someday...
    hmm..I hope those two items are NOT related in some odd and scary way.
    Last edited by Mags; 06-27-2007 at 15:36.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    hmm..I hope those two items are NOT related in some odd and scary way.
    Thankfully not directly.

Three years ago I was all set to go when my nephew broke his leg in work just a month prior to the trip. So that trip got cancelled. I love hiking solo, and I've done it in the Grand Canyon and other western parks, but somehow I want a partner for Yellowstone. Just seems safer.

Two years ago the same nephew backed out on me because he decided to get engaged. Can't really blame him I guess. Priorities and all.

Last year I quit my job rather unexpectedly (it was a surprise to myself too) and went back to Grad school. Isn't life what happens while you're making other plans, or something like that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++