WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default TarpTent: Squall2 or Rainbow?

Well I've read a massive amount of past posts here, and have pretty well been convinced to get a TarpTent.

I am just stuck, at this point, as to which model to get. Most of my backpacking is done in the White Mts. during the late spring / summer time.

I don't hike with poles, so with a few of the models (Squall at least?) I would have to buy the 2oz. stakes.

For the most part I hike alone, however on occassion there would be one other hiker with me (close quarters = OK).

So I am trying to decide between the Rainbow and the Squall2. From what I understand two people can, in a pinch, squeeze into the Rainbow? I'm only 5'9 / 150 or so, and sig. other is well smaller than that.

Other than the slight weight difference (6oz between them, as I'd have two poles), and size differences, is there any major difference, or reason to choose one over the other?

Many thanks! All input welcome.

Mark off the floor area on the floor and try it out with two. Because of your size, you may find the Rainbow comfortable for two, especially with a zipped-together sleeping bag. You do not HAVE to use poles with the Rainbow, but it is nice to have it freestanding.

Images

If I had the money and the choice, I'd go with the freestanding tarptent.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I have a Rainbow and my hiking buddy has the Squall. His Rainbow is on order. I have used the Rainbow freestanding as well as staked. Pleanty of room and I am 6'0"

I am currently looking for a tent also and the tarptent sounds really interesting so if anyone has any info about it i would really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Mark off the floor area on the floor and try it out with two. Because of your size, you may find the Rainbow comfortable for two, especially with a zipped-together sleeping bag. You do not HAVE to use poles with the Rainbow, but it is nice to have it freestanding.
    That is a fantastic idea, thank you!

I know a couple who got a single Rainbow and decided it was a little too close for the two of them. They traded up for the double Rainbow and are quite happy with it. They particularly like the two side entrys, as oposed to the door entry of the Squall models. Makes it a lot easier when the husband has to go outside in the middle of the night.
    Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bearbag hanger View Post
    I know a couple who got a single Rainbow and decided it was a little too close for the two of them. They traded up for the double Rainbow and are quite happy with it. They particularly like the two side entrys, as oposed to the door entry of the Squall models. Makes it a lot easier when the husband has to go outside in the middle of the night.
    I think the vast majority of hikes will be myself solo. So being cramped <5 nights a summer wouldn't be so bad.

I think the Rainbow will be my choice, thanks

Of course now as I read more, I'm contemplating the double rainbow, as its only 8oz heavier... which really doesn't bother me.

Default Double the fun

With the Double Rainbow, apart from the extra floor area, you get two vestibules and two entrances. Having the boots and the pack on your side makes it a lot nicer than having to crawl over your partner. Another big plus is the mini porch set up if you need to cook from inside the tent.In really hot weather you can leave both sides fully opened for maximum ventilation. The 07 DR also comes with zippered doors.
    Franco

Poozer, I was thinking about this some more:

The single Rainbow is 7" wider than a twin bed: 46" total. I am a couple of inches taller but more than 50% heavier than you are and am very comfortable in it. The Double Rainbow is the same width as a double bed: 54".

I am very comfortable in the single Rainbow but because of my size, cannot imagine sharing it with anyone unless it were an emergency, or if we were intimate and normally slept holding each other and used bags zipped together. You are significantly smaller than I am in girth.

Maybe you and your wife have spent the night together in twin and double beds and can compare on that basis.

Thinking it over some more, for half a pound, it suits me better to have a tent I and another can use, and in a sense, saves 1.5lbs because two solo tents won't be needed.

If I end up doing a thru hike after college solo, well then I can always invest in another

Thanks.

That sounds well-reasoned.

++ New Posts ++