WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I use a Gregory Acadia. It was made for EMS, but I've seen a few sold elsewhere. Holds a nice load for section hiking(which is what I am currently). I bought it 2 years ago and it's still like new, with 400+ miles on it. I've always been a big fan of Gregory, but am beginning to look more at lighter gear. The only advice I could add to the great post's so far is watch how many cubic inches you get. If you go with too big a pack, you might be tempted to overpack. Happy hiking!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Pack Choice

Regardless of which pack you choose ...buy one that will hold the gear you plan to carry. That may seem like common sense but I've met dozens of hikers who purchased a backpack and THEN decided what they were going to shove into it.

To optimize my carrying weight on this year's thru-hike I ended up with 2 packs. Your initial and final months on the trail will involve carrying more and bulkier clothing/gear. In the warmer months you can normally cut way back. That's when I went to a smaller pack.

Just as a reference, I started off with the Gregory Reality and used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail when my load would allow. I generally carried around 34 - 36 pounds in the colder months and was able to get my total pack weight down to 24 - 26 pounds in the warmer months. The Vapor Trail pack was over 3 pounds lighter than the Reality which is a nice savings in base back weight.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Default Moonbow Gearskin

I have also listened to the Sarge...

as my Father's Day present last year, it didn't come in time for my week long scouting trip (Used a Kelty Super Tioga)..

but very happy with my Gearskin! It has taken me a few trips to play with it... It gets better each time I use it. I have also used my Thermorest Ultralight w/chair package(old style.. yep..these bones are getting old)... as the support ... that worked well but the silnylon packing bag (also from Moonbow... very happy with that) wants to slide out the side occasionally. My last weekend trip I actually used the closed foam pad in a clamshell form (for the first time it looked the same as Sarge's website).

I also have a concern about the hipbelt... but only because I have lost 60# since ordering it. I currently only have an inch to spare... but not worrying for now.

I am very happy with it... planning on using it at Philmont this summer.

ScouterSteve

Take a look at Granite Gear packs, the VaporTrail and the Nimbus Ozone.
    Singletrack

You might consider Mchale Packs www.mchalepacks.com There is an interesting "letter from Dan" regarding lightweight packing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++