WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: parking in DWG

Default parking in DWG

Is there a safe and secure place in Delaware Water Gap you can leave your car for three weeks? Will be glad to pay. Thanks.

I believe the trail head parking on the jersey side is patrolled routinely. At least it was when my friend got busted there for having a smoke inside a van in 2001.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Parking DWG

A couple of years ago I hiked out of DWG and left my care there for a week.
    The NPS has a building there and they let you park. I think I had to fill out some paperwork before I left it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Is there a safe and secure place in Delaware Water Gap you can leave your car for three weeks? Will be glad to pay. Thanks.
    I parked at the normal AT lot on the westbound side of Interstate 80 a few weeks ago. There was a sign there warning hikers not to leave any valuables either in view or hidden due to vehicle break-ins. The only theft I ever had from my car occured in my driveway, so this advice obviously applies everywhere.

The visitors center is on the eastbound side of 80 and is much more open and probably better patrolled, but It seems to be more for short term visitors. I'd call and ask, but I think they'll tell you to park in the AT lot, especially for three weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't feel good about leaving my car there for an extended period.

The older visitor's center was damaged substantially in a recent flood and has been demolished. New structures are in process, but there are no longer any rangers there. The parking area has been partially taken over as construction laydown, but there are still parking spaces available. Parking for three weeks? I doubt if the State Police would leave your car alone for that long.
    Grumpy Ol' Pops

Hold onto dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Images

According to the park's newsletter, the new visitor center is open, so I'd assume the rangers are back in some form. Might want to try giving them a call.

BY PHONE:
    Administration
    Superintendent's Office (570) 426-2418
    Public Affairs Officer (570) 426-2430

I hiked with a girl in '95 who left her car there and hiked all the way to Katahdin, came back and got her car. It was a little dirty but otherwise fine.

She left it on the Jersey side.

Images

There is a large, public parking lot in the town of DWG. It's just a short walk down from the outfitters there. My wife and I left our car there for 2 weeks with no problem a couple of summers ago.

I've left my car on both sides of the DWG (PA & NJ), for extended periods of time with no issue.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Peace Be With You

++ New Posts ++