WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Lodge - Millinocket, ME

If you have plans to be in the Millinocket, ME, area you should check out the AT Lodge, under the new management of "Ole Man" and "Navigator". We stayed there last week and they were great! The rooms are clean, well appointed, and very reasonably in priced. Just down the street they have their restaurant, The Appalacian Trail Cafe", and the food there is terrific. Especially try the "Hungry Hiker Breakfast". In addition, they offer a very dependable shuttle. Their cordial hospitality and knowledge of hiker needs is the best. I can't say enough about how nice these people are and the care and concern they apply to their business.

Safe travels to all!

Another rave review! Congrats to the owners, they must be doing it right!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

And their daughter is out doing a southbound w/ Alpine @ the moment. Gotta love it when the trail runs in the family.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adrifft View Post
    If you have plans to be in the Millinocket, ME, area you should check out the AT Lodge, under the new management of "Ole Man" and "Navigator". We stayed there last week and they were great! The rooms are clean, well appointed, and very reasonably in priced. Just down the street they have their restaurant, The Appalacian Trail Cafe", and the food there is terrific. Especially try the "Hungry Hiker Breakfast". In addition, they offer a very dependable shuttle. Their cordial hospitality and knowledge of hiker needs is the best. I can't say enough about how nice these people are and the care and concern they apply to their business.

Safe travels to all!
    ===============================

We'll be there in mid August. Hiking Rangeley to Monson and then hopping up to Baxter for a climb up Katahdin. Headed into Millinocket that night for a room and then it's back home.

Lookin forward to it !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    And their daughter is out doing a southbound w/ Alpine @ the moment. Gotta love it when the trail runs in the family.
    Alpine from Mountain Crossings? I just saw him about month ago. He's one of my favorite ultra-hyper folks out there.

Hi Folks...NaviGator here. We are having a great time here in Millinocket with the SOBO's and we can't wait to greet the NOBO's!
    Just for the info Alpine was here with Jen(??Princess Brat I think is her trail name) who is not our daughter. She was a big help at the Cafe one morning when she saw we needed help she jumped right in. Thanks Jen.
    I would like to put the word out to the hiker community that we need an experienced short order cook ASAP. If any knows a hiker looking to finance their next hike tell him/her to call us.

Default Personal experience last year with both places...

1) I stayed at that hostel on my way out of Maine (from Baxter SP to Hanover NH to finish my flipflopping thruhike). Have nothing bad to say about it; I'd certainly stay there again if in the area. Nice people, nice place.

2) The AT Cafe is a by-the-bite (nonbuffet), so by definition it's not a 1st-rate chow place to a thruhiker. That said, the food was okay. The waitress didn't bat an eye at my ordering and eating two entire meals at one sitting, either. When I mentioned this to her, she indicated that that was routine for just-finished NOBO thruhikers they got in there each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man View Post
    Hi Folks...NaviGator here. We are having a great time here in Millinocket with the SOBO's and we can't wait to greet the NOBO's!
    Just for the info Alpine was here with Jen(??Princess Brat I think is her trail name) who is not our daughter. She was a big help at the Cafe one morning when she saw we needed help she jumped right in. Thanks Jen.
    I would like to put the word out to the hiker community that we need an experienced short order cook ASAP. If any knows a hiker looking to finance their next hike tell him/her to call us.
    That is her trailname and that Alpine. Sorry I was confused about the relationship. Now I'm curious as to where I became confused. I'll give Yimmy a call.

Nothing bad to say about a place, Minnesota?

That's kinda unusual for you, dontcha think?

I think the new people here are great and I wish them every possible success in Millinocket!!

Are these the same people who worked with the owners, Josh and Leigh, of the Hiker Hostel in GA? If so, no wonder they are nice people to stay with!
    Last edited by Rambler; 08-22-2007 at 13:20.

Images

I can add that we just stayed there at the end of our section hike less than a week ago. First class place for hikers and close to most everything (of course Millinocket isn't all that big). As already mentioned the owners of the Lodge also own the AT Cafe. They have a great breakfast and open at 5 AM, which is nice for hikers trying to jam down some food before heading out to Baxter to climb Katahdin. They also have free internet at the Cafe.

Great people ...Great place.

'Slogger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Are these the same people who worked with the owners, Josh and Leigh, of the Hiker Hostel in GA? If so, no wonder they are nice people to stay with!
    ===================================

Yes they are ...in fact Josh and Leigh were just in Millinocket working with them on fixing up the Lodge.

'Slogger

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adrifft View Post
    If you have plans to be in the Millinocket, ME, area you should check out the AT Lodge, under the new management of "Ole Man" and "Navigator". We stayed there last week and they were great! ........ETC,................... I can't say enough about how nice these people are and the care and concern they apply to their business.
    Safe travels to all!

THANKS for the report/review!
    hope to get there in a few years as i continue my NoBo section-hike...on the "20-year-plan"!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I had a great experience there this summer, very nice people, great food at their restaurant, great lodging as well. It is reasonably priced, and they allowed me to stay there until 6pm the day after I stayed there waiting for my ride.

Kirby

Very nice people. Very helpful to hikers.

I hope the best of luck to them.

Nearly Normal

Images

Default Thruhiker Special

SOBOs need to know about the Thruhiker Special: pick up in Medway, night at the lodge, meal at the cafe, and shuttle to Baxter for only $70! I made my reservations!

Just spent 4 nights at the AT Lodge. It was clean and nice and the owners were real hospitable. I would recommend a stay or connecting up for a shuttle if you are in the area.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

When I finished my hike last month I rated the AT Lodge as the best hostel I stayed at.

Old Man and Navigator are awesome hosts. The AT Cafe is also the bomb.

++ New Posts ++