WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SOBO Sleeping Bag

I have read about people switching out bags during their hike when the weather changes. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a single bag to be used for the whole hike. In particular a SOBO starting at the beginning of July.

I meant temperature rating for the bag, but specific bag recommendations are certainly welcome too!

You're still likely to get plenty of nights in the lower 40's on a SOBO hike before fall really kicks in. I'd take a 30 degree bag until mid Virginia, then switch to a 15-20 degree bag for the rest of the hike if I were to do it again. I'd also plan on NOT using a 20 degree bag in the dead of winter when it was getting consistanly in the 0-10 degree range! I don't think I slept for a month.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
    I have read about people switching out bags during their hike when the weather changes. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a single bag to be used for the whole hike. In particular a SOBO starting at the beginning of July.
    30* down bag. You can use a liner in it in Maine and White Mtns in hte summer, and the Smokies in the fall, and just lay it over us as a quilt Mass thru Va. Sometimes in ME-NH-VT you will be chilly, you will definately be hot in PA-VA, and will be chilly again at times in the Smokies, but a 30* bag with a liner should do the trick.

The question is why? Why not simply use a 20* bag to start, mail it home when it is too warm, use a 45* bag until the Smokies, and then use the 20* bag for the rest of the the trip?

$60 bucks for a 45* bag isn't so much to save to be worth carrying a heavier too-hot bag for 1000 miles in the middle of the hike, and the samings will be gone if you take a single zero to avoid weather too cold for the 30* to handle.
    Frosty

Geezer

30* down bag.

You can use a liner in it in Maine and White Mtns in hte summer, and the Smokies in the fall, and just lay it over to use as a quilt Mass thru Va. Sometimes in ME-NH-VT you will be chilly, you will definately be hot in PA-VA, and will be chilly again at times in the Smokies, but a 30* bag with a liner should do the trick.

The question is why? Why not simply use a 20* bag to start, mail it home when it is too warm, use a 45* bag until the Smokies, and then use the 20* bag for the rest of the the trip?

$60 bucks for a 45* bag isn't so much to save to be worth carrying a heavier too-hot bag for 1000 miles in the middle of the hike, and the savings will be gone if you take a single zero to avoid weather too cold for the 30* to handle.
    Frosty

I am also looking for a sleeping bag for my upcoming SOBO (leaving July 1). Right now I have a marmot helium and a North Face Allegheny.

The Helium is great, but way too warm unless it's cold out (15 degree rating). The half zip really limits it's flexibility, hard to use as a blanket.

The Allegheny is nice, but it's a pretty heavy (2.5 lbs) and not all that warm.

Should I start with the helium and switch to a summer bag when I get out of the whites? I have a feeling this might be too warm. I could use the Allegheny, suffer the weight, and use my base layer if it gets too cold out.

Another option is to get a better summer bag. I've been looking at:

Marmot pounder (sounds a little cold, but I could add a liner and still be under 2 lbs)
    Big Agnes Horse Thief 35 degree
    Eureka Silver City 30 degree ($60, 2 lbs, full zip, warmish?: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45322)

Any thoughts?

I have a Big Agnes insulated air core pad. I might consider ditching it for something lighter once I get my trail legs, but so far it's given me the best sleep I ever had outdoors.

Thanks!

I use a zero degree Quest rectangular. Lot's of leg room, I'll NEVER be cold, extra padding to sleep on - on warm nights and only a pound and a half more than the fancy pantser bags. It's worth the weight considering six to eight hours a day of use.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Your'll see some nights into the 40's starting out. The Whites can be freezing all the time. Last year I sent home too much cold weather gear and was freezing at night a few times in VT. The weather seems to change a lot from very hot to cold on the southbound hike. I had a few hot nights, but looking back nothing to send my fall gear home.

Start with what you would use in the fall. Keep it until it is time to get your winter gear. Some people last year kept 45 degree bags until VA. They had some super cold nights. Just depends on where you want to sleep and how many clothes you have.

Images

I'm taking my 20 degree WM bag. May use my summer Deuter as a liner for it when it gets really cold this winter...

Images

I dunno about a single bag. It'll be cool at night to start a SOBO, but you'll get into some good cold weather in the South starting in November. I'd start with my 30F down bag, and switch to my 5F bag in mid-November or so.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Good sleeping bag question and responses. I'm thinking about going with a MontBell 15* bag (2lbs, 7oz). It has a full zipper which is nice for warmer temps. Being a southerner, it is still hard for me to imagine 30* and colder weather in July/Aug?! One hiker mentioned he was still comfortable in his 15* bag in N. Virginia in Aug and it was after that he moved to a summer bag. During the hot months, I may just by a cheap bag somewhere. Maybe I will run into a hiker looking to sale his bag for bus $.

What do you think? Is a 15* too warm?

I'm debating this issue as well. Right now I have a 40 degree down bag, but I'd really rather just get a warmer bag and carry it for the whole hike if necessary, and sleep in the silk liner when it gets warm.
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Images

Default ...sleeping bag...

Here is my "twocents" worth:
    I too have been wanting a new bag for hiking and like all of us, have searched extensively for what I MAY want. I find 1st, one needs to decide on a synthetic vs. down. ( 15deg. ) Here are my synthetic results on my search, be advised it's from only one internet site, but the stats will be the same, maybe not the price from other sites:

From Campmor:
    $140 Big Agnes 15* fill wt.-24oz. Total wt. 3lb.5 oz.
    $40 Eurika " " " 36oz. " " 4lb.
    $70 Marmot " " " 35oz. " " 3lb.8oz
    $170 Mt. Hadwar" " " 34oz. " " 2lb.14oz

Women Specific:
    $140 Big Agnes 15* fill wt. 25oz. Total wt. 3lb.3oz
    $70 Marmot " " " 28oz. " " 3lb.5oz
    $170 Mt. Hardwar. " " " 35oz. " " 3lb.

And just for colder weather:
    $45 Slumberjack Latitude 0* fill wt. 45oz. Total wt. 4.0lb

I got to looking at the FILL WEIGHTS of these vs. wt. I was willing to carry vs. being warm. You may have a light bag, but look at the fill weight of that bag. 1lb of fill vs. 2 or more for the same advertised degree it is rated at would get my attention. As it did, hence my experience with this comparison table. May this help.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Fill weights must be taken into consideration by looking at:
    1) What is the cubic inch down loft measurement (ex: an ounce of 650 fill down doesn't fill up as much space as an ounce of 800 fill down, so more down weight is required to provide the same loft, which is where the warmth comes from).
    2) The size of the sleeping bag itself (ex: wider bags have more fabric to fill, thus requiring more down, regardless of the fill #).
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-05-2009 at 12:54. Reason: correction/addition
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Garlic
    Images

If I were limited to one bag for the whole trail, I'd use the Campmor 20 down bag. It does not have side baffles, so you can shift down from top to bottom and vice versa for different conditions, it has a full zip, and it's reasonably priced. I used this bag for the entire PCT and it worked down to its rating and was OK in summer heat (but not as humid as the AT).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I am going SOBO starting June 15. I plan to take a Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree bag with liner. Depending on my pace and fall weather in the south, I can switch out to a 15 degree Marmot Pinnacle.

Default brand query

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the LaFuma bags?

I have the lafuma warm n light 35. the lowest i have taken it was 40ish in a THICK bivy wearing synth tights. I was cold but not miserable. the bag is cut far too big is its major shortcoming imo.

Its a toss up for with that or my pinnacle.
    I am heavily leaning to the lafuma with a space blanket because now I have a tarp tent.

pinnacle it a dead of winter bag to me, too heavy and always warm.
    if you go pinnacle there is no real need for a pad imo, just flip it upside down if its warm enough so you can save a lot of weight there.

I am going to attempt to use my synthetic North Face Cat's Meow 20* bag for my SOBO thru this year. If needed I will use a liner come colder weather. I enjoy it anywhere from 30* to over 60* in my hammock and could probably push it farther laying on a shelter floor.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

I've had the same question, and I'm also going with a 30* bag I think, the Marmot Never Winter. I figure I can either pick up a 10-15* bag on the way, or Sea to Summit makes some very nice liners that can add a ton of warmth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++