WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: What do you Carry for Protection on the Trail?

Voters
203. This poll is closed
  • Bear spray/Mace

20 9.85%
  • Firearm

16 7.88%
  • Hiking Poles

55 27.09%
  • Knife

16 7.88%
  • Nothing

93 45.81%
  • No Comment

3 1.48%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I'll go along with the last comment at least. The problem is not guns, but idiot organizations like NRA. What is pathetic are the stupid, unthinking critics of so called "liberals." Such labels have no meaning. True Liberals by there very nature do not speak with one voice, but with a thousand voices.

Weary
    The NRA protects the right to keep and bear arms. Why do you call it an idiot organization? Without the 2nd Amedment, all the others are worthless, when the government decides they are.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Now, now

Y'all are just trying to make trouble to get some of Weary's buds.

Images

Last edited by Photofanatic; 05-27-2004 at 00:35.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JLB
    The NRA protects the right to keep and bear arms. Why do you call it an idiot organization? Without the 2nd Amedment, all the others are worthless, when the government decides they are.
    Well, there are many complicated reasons, but I'll tell you a personal anecdote. I've owned a gun for at least 60 years. I've hunted for at least 60 years. I've worked to protect wildlife habitat for 50 years. Some think I'm mostly responsible for the recovery of 400,000 acres that Maine preserved when it sold its public domain 150 years ago and then forgot it owned the land.

Twelve years ago I ran for the state senate against an incumbent who had fought against every legislative bill that sought to protect wildlife habitat during her several terms, who routinely opposed efforts to create more land for hunting and fishing opportunities.

But she was supported by NRA and by the Sportsman's Association of Maine, the NRA Maine affiliate. A good friend who was president of SAM said I was rejected because of a wrong answer on one of the NRA questions, a question about whether outdoor shooting ranges should be allowed in residential neighborhoods. Knowing NRA, I knew when I said no, that I had lost any chance for an endorsement.

Weary

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea.....Dope. If I were you LW, I wouldn't be putting things out on the internet of that nature. You don't know me well enough. Sounds kinda' slanderish to me. You got any money, real estate, anything of value? You keep that kinda' crap up and you won't have it long. KZ@ P.s. I mean that.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

You want me to post the threatening e-mail you sent me for all to see? Shows what kinda punk you are. I thought you weren't going to respond to weak,mindless BS. Go to your post about "pot toking weed puffing hippies.." on 2-13-2004. Sounds like you MAY smoke it.

L. Wolf says: My most recent personal decision (effective yesterday) is only do today what I can live with tomorrow
    Now here is some incredibly sensible logic!
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

That's L. Wolfe, not L. Wolf

Sorry, my typo
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea.....Pot smokin' hippies. Ah...wha da madder Lone Wolf, you don't like us...Aw, too bad. We like you. You such a nice guy.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Images

Last edited by Photofanatic; 05-27-2004 at 00:21.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Weary... You owned a gun and have hunted for atleast 60 years ? Assuming you didn't own a gun until you were about 14.... you must be about 74 right ? Great job discovering that 400,000 acres in maine, but the NRA is still a great organization.

Kozmic Zian....the best self defense to slander is the truth.

This is some funny stuff.... "You can't say I smoke weed because it's slander....HEY pass that pipe bro"..... hahahaaa Classic

Lone Wolf 1 liberals 0
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    Well, there are many complicated reasons, but I'll tell you a personal anecdote. I've owned a gun for at least 60 years. I've hunted for at least 60 years. I've worked to protect wildlife habitat for 50 years. Some think I'm mostly responsible for the recovery of 400,000 acres that Maine preserved when it sold its public domain 150 years ago and then forgot it owned the land.

Twelve years ago I ran for the state senate against an incumbent who had fought against every legislative bill that sought to protect wildlife habitat during her several terms, who routinely opposed efforts to create more land for hunting and fishing opportunities.

But she was supported by NRA and by the Sportsman's Association of Maine, the NRA Maine affiliate. A good friend who was president of SAM said I was rejected because of a wrong answer on one of the NRA questions, a question about whether outdoor shooting ranges should be allowed in residential neighborhoods. Knowing NRA, I knew when I said no, that I had lost any chance for an endorsement.

Weary
    I'm sorry for your personal political reasons that make you upset with the NRA. Their job is to protect gun owner's rights, and as such, will endorse you or not only on that issue. With that in mind, you should not hold a grudge against them for doing what they are supposed to do, which is select the most pro-gun candidate available to endorse. Also, the good that they do on a national level should far outweigh the personal reasons you have with them.

Default Big Bears

You wouldn't catch me in the bush without my trusty rifle....I don't want to be found in a pile of bear dung smelling like pepper... Alaska has some very Big bears...

Yo Kozzy Kupkake? You havin a bad day? Gonna sue me for slander in one breath then admit to being a pot smokin hippie in another breath. You oughta leave that s**t alone. Seek counseling.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JLB
    I'm sorry for your personal political reasons that make you upset with the NRA. Their job is to protect gun owner's rights, and as such, will endorse you or not only on that issue. With that in mind, you should not hold a grudge against them for doing what they are supposed to do, which is select the most pro-gun candidate available to endorse. Also, the good that they do on a national level should far outweigh the personal reasons you have with them.
    Well I tend to see Weary's point about how a group like that can actually hurt themselves with people that would tend to agree with them because of certain points. I was an NRA member back in the 80s. But there was a law that they were trying to stop that had to deal with the legality of automatic weapons and I just couldn't abide by their position, and it was the poistion I read about in their magazine. So I dropped my membership and have never continued it. I still own multiple weapons, but feel that gun ownership and laws about gun ownership need to come from a point of common sense, not a questionaire.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Well I tend to see Weary's point about how a group like that can actually hurt themselves with people that would tend to agree with them because of certain points. I was an NRA member back in the 80s. But there was a law that they were trying to stop that had to deal with the legality of automatic weapons and I just couldn't abide by their position, and it was the poistion I read about in their magazine. So I dropped my membership and have never continued it. I still own multiple weapons, but feel that gun ownership and laws about gun ownership need to come from a point of common sense, not a questionaire.
    Automatic weapons have been illegal to own without a tax stamp from the Treasury Dept. since 1934. The manufacter of new transferable automatic weapons was banned in 1986.

There has NEVER been a crime commited with a legally owned automatic weapon in 78 years. They are not a problem.

I own a machinegun, btw. Lots of fun.

Images

True, but I still don't have to agree with the position that it should be legal to own a machinegun. But by supporting the NRA when they make a stand on this point, by defacto I am supporting something I don't agree with.

I am a very pro-gun ownership person, but I feel that there has to be some limits for various reasons. I wouldn't want a range in my neighborhood, I like my range being out in the country. But by Weary supporting the exact same position as I would, despite all his gun and hunter friendly positions, his oponent got the support of the NRA despite her apathy to wildlife habatat protection. This is what I mean about the NRA sometimes not looking at the whole picture to it's constituents. I am not the only person I know that has had this kind of problem with the NRA, and I am not the only person I know that has cancled my membership.

Anyway, we are getting way off topic at this point.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

you rock....sgt rock.

I enjoyed our discussion of this issue at HARD CORE...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Unless one has taken the time and trouble to learn how to use them properly, "protection" aids such as mace, knives, etc. might help your peace of mind, but in fact, probably pose an equal threat to the owner. The single best tool for self-protection in the backcountry is simple commnn sense.
    Seems to me I saw a picture of you wielding a HUGE Bowie knife on the trail somewhere awhile back
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++