WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: What do you Carry for Protection on the Trail?

Voters
203. This poll is closed
  • Bear spray/Mace

20 9.85%
  • Firearm

16 7.88%
  • Hiking Poles

55 27.09%
  • Knife

16 7.88%
  • Nothing

93 45.81%
  • No Comment

3 1.48%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    Images

I think old 'gator is missing some letters
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

----------------S

Sorry DC for the language.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I guess I can C the point of this thread.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

'night Jack.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

JLB-“Wrong. If Jack carried the knife in his pack at any time in Georgia, he commited a crime.”
    Yes, and using your illogic, if pigs had wings they could fly. Jack didn’t say he carried it concealed, you are trying to imply that. Please stick to the facts, don’t create hypothetical situations and use them as facts, you can do better than that. .

Georgia law
    16-11-126.
    JLB-“Notice that there is NO EXCEPTION FOR HIKERS!!!
    Absolutely correct. Notice I never said there was an exception-for anyone. The statute is talking about prohibiting concealed weapons. What it says pertaining to open carry of weapons is that that is legal. What can’t you understand about open carry?

NC-14-269
    JLB-“ Once again, if he carried his knife in his pack, he was illegal “
    I really beginning to like your sense of humor! Do you really believe that by clicking your heels and saying “there’s no place like home”, you end up in Kansas? As you are fond of saying: “for the 10th time”, Jack never said he carried concealed. Stick to the facts, repeating the same old hypothetical is getting old. No matter how many times you repeat a lie, it will never become fact.

TN 39-17-1307
    JLB-“ His blade exceeded 4" by his own admission. He broke the law.
    Sorry you can’t read the bold text which says: “with the intent to go armed
    If there was no intent to go armed, there is no conflict with the statute. Once again, you missed the mark, are you sure you are a highly skilled marksman like you claim?

W. VA. §61-7-2.
    JLB-“ I did not comment on West Va. before.”
    Of course you didn’t comment on WV, it again doesn’t support your claim. It clearly excludes knives from the weapon category unless such knife is knowingly used or intended to be used to produce serious bodily injury or death. Let me say this in simple terms so you can understand it. The law realizes that ordinary people, not limited to, or excluding hikers, use knives for eating at home and for picnics, etc. The law says this use is legal with the only reservation being when they are use to produce serious bodily injury or death. A “legally” carried gun becomes a deadly weapon if you beat someone to death with it even though you haven’t used it to shoot anyone. Can you understand that simple concept? .

JLB-“ By your own posts, it is legal to carry a gun openly, if it is legal to carry a knife openly.”
    Once again you use illogic to try to fool people. Because cats and dogs are both animals doesn’t mean that a cat is a dog. Both a knife and a gun can be weapons, a gun always is. That is why many more knives are used in kitchens than guns. (Actually I don’t know about your kitchen!) There are more regulations on owning and buying guns than knives. I don’t need an FFL to sell kitchen knives and they can’t be modified to cut full automatic. I do hope you can tell the difference between a knife and a gun, or I hope you don’t use your gun as an eating utensil!

JLB-“ All you have done is bolstered my argument, by posting case law that says a knife is considered the same as a gun, in Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina.’
    The laws in those states don’t consider guns and knives the same, that’s why they have different sections of the laws mentioning each. In Georgia, only under school carry is the length of a knife blade mentioned in Law. Are you implying that section also said guns are legal in schools? Your arguments are laughable and would be truly funny if you didn’t really believe all those half-truths you post.

JLB- Why are you scared? You should only be scared if you intend to do me harm, and if you do, then my gun has already achieved it's purpose.
    Ah, at last your signature comeback! I see you don’t understand the nuances of the English language. Please reread this quote: “I have met and had pleasant talks with several hunters carrying legally on the A.T. and I have nothing against them nor do I fear them.” I haven’t said I was scared at all. The statement “Carrying for what sounds like first-strike capability is just scary whether you claim to carry legally or not.“ doesn’t imply I’m scared but rather the thought of you loose among normal people should be a cause of concern. Your saying “You should only be scared if you intend to do me harm, and if you do, then my gun has already achieved it's purpose” sounds like a remark from a scared, insecure indididual and you have used it before. What are you afraid of. Why do you have to continually remind people that you are armed and won’t hesitate to use deadly force against them? Why are you so paranoid. Don’t answer the last question, it was rhetorical. I know you have trouble understanding English.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator

Sorry DC for the language.
    I live with a soldier.... I thought that language was normal everyday stuff...

Seriously, not offended by the language, am upset that Whiteblaze and it's members are getting trashed like this. Whiteblaze is about hiking the AT, and before I get slammed... no I am not a hiker, never have claimed to be one, however, that said... SGT Rock is and I support HIM. The AT means a great deal to him, as does this site. Don't make me get ugly folks. I'll start lining y'all up like I do my boys.

Now behave, and go talk about hiking, or trail blazing, or gear or how much something weighs for goodness sakes.

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Yes, and using your illogic, if pigs had wings they could fly. Jack didn’t say he carried it concealed, you are trying to imply that. Please stick to the facts, don’t create hypothetical situations and use them as facts, you can do better than that. .

Georgia law
    16-11-126.

Absolutely correct. Notice I never said there was an exception-for anyone. The statute is talking about prohibiting concealed weapons. What it says pertaining to open carry of weapons is that that is legal. What can’t you understand about open carry?

NC-14-269

I really beginning to like your sense of humor! Do you really believe that by clicking your heels and saying “there’s no place like home”, you end up in Kansas? As you are fond of saying: “for the 10th time”, Jack never said he carried concealed. Stick to the facts, repeating the same old hypothetical is getting old. No matter how many times you repeat a lie, it will never become fact.

TN 39-17-1307

Sorry you can’t read the bold text which says: “with the intent to go armed
    If there was no intent to go armed, there is no conflict with the statute. Once again, you missed the mark, are you sure you are a highly skilled marksman like you claim?

W. VA. §61-7-2.

Of course you didn’t comment on WV, it again doesn’t support your claim. It clearly excludes knives from the weapon category unless such knife is knowingly used or intended to be used to produce serious bodily injury or death. Let me say this in simple terms so you can understand it. The law realizes that ordinary people, not limited to, or excluding hikers, use knives for eating at home and for picnics, etc. The law says this use is legal with the only reservation being when they are use to produce serious bodily injury or death. A “legally” carried gun becomes a deadly weapon if you beat someone to death with it even though you haven’t used it to shoot anyone. Can you understand that simple concept? .
    Please try not to tell me that not one person on this board, including yourself and Jack, has ever carried their knife in their pack.

As to the intent, the intent is not known until after the crime has been commited, not before. You may not intend to be armed with your big knife, but you still may kill me with it.

Once again you use illogic to try to fool people. Because cats and dogs are both animals doesn’t mean that a cat is a dog. Both a knife and a gun can be weapons, a gun always is. That is why many more knives are used in kitchens than guns. (Actually I don’t know about your kitchen!) There are more regulations on owning and buying guns than knives. I don’t need an FFL to sell kitchen knives and they can’t be modified to cut full automatic. I do hope you can tell the difference between a knife and a gun, or I hope you don’t use your gun as an eating utensil!
    I never said a gun was a dual use weapon, infact I said the opposite. Pay attention.

The laws in those states don’t consider guns and knives the same, that’s why they have different sections of the laws mentioning each. In Georgia, only under school carry is the length of a knife blade mentioned in Law. Are you implying that section also said guns are legal in schools? Your arguments are laughable and would be truly funny if you didn’t really believe all that half-truths you post.
    The laws I posted treat the carry of gun and knives in the same manner. Concealed is not ok, open carry is ok. I have a permit that is valid in multiple states, so I can carry either way.

Ah, at last you signature comeback! I see you don’t understand the nuances of the English language. Please reread this quote: “I have met and had pleasant talks with several hunters carrying legally on the A.T. and I have nothing against them nor do I fear them.” I haven’t said I was scared at all. The statement “Carrying for what sounds like first-strike capability is just scary whether you claim to carry legally or not.“ doesn’t imply I’m scared but rather the thought of you loose among normal people should be a cause of concern. Your saying “You should only be scared if you intend to do me harm, and if you do, then my gun has already achieved it's purpose” sounds like a remark from a scared, insecure indididual and you have used it before. What are you afraid of. Why do you have to continually remind people that you are armed and won’t hesitate to use deadly force against them? Why are you so paranoid. Don’t answer the last question, it was rhetorical. I know you have trouble understanding English.
    No, as I have said before, you will never know I am armed, unless you attack me. This is the internet, not real life. We are arguing the merits and legality of carrying weapons, so try to stick to that.

As for being paranoid, I should ask you the same question. Why are you so paranoid about something that means you no harm?

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter
    I live with a soldier.... I thought that language was normal everyday stuff...

Seriously, not offended by the language, am upset that Whiteblaze and it's members are getting trashed like this. Whiteblaze is about hiking the AT, and before I get slammed... no I am not a hiker, never have claimed to be one, however, that said... SGT Rock is and I support HIM. The AT means a great deal to him, as does this site. Don't make me get ugly folks. I'll start lining y'all up like I do my boys.

Now behave, and go talk about hiking, or trail blazing, or gear or how much something weighs for goodness sakes.
    Why would you be suprised that if somebody starts a thread about protection on the trail, that we might actually discuss PROTECTION ON THE TRAIL?

Why would you think that just because most of your members choose a different method of defense, that the rest of us might find this topic interesting?

Who is getting trashed? We are having a discussion here, and we are having it on a thread that has as it's topic, the very thing we are discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB
    Why would you be suprised that if somebody starts a thread about protection on the trail, that we might actually discuss PROTECTION ON THE TRAIL?
    You aren't, you are arguing guns.

Why would you think that just because most of your members choose a different method of defense, that the rest of us might find this topic interesting?
    This site was created to discuss the AT not guns.

Who is getting trashed? We are having a discussion here, and we are having it on a thread that has as it's topic, the very thing we are discussing.
    Ok whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter
    You aren't, you are arguing guns.
    Which are a valid means of protection in the woods. Otherwise, Lewis and Clarke would have left theirs at home, right?

This site was created to discuss the AT not guns.
    This thread was created to discuss guns, as it's listed right there in the poll.

Go look.

Ok whatever....
    Indeed.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

they say mental illness can be contagious....we better get out of here dixicriter..we are being exposed
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    they say mental illness can be contagious....we better get out of here dixicriter..we are being exposed
    I'm sorry I exposed your mental illness. Hoplophobia is treatable, with education, and trigger time.

Journal Entries
    Images

This thread is getting close to closing also. Here is the warning. Stop feeding JLB and then he will stop replying to your remarks. If you don't reply then he has nothing to reply to. But if you give him something to reply to then he is always going to reply to it. Again I am not singleing out JLB. Whom, says he is only defending himself. Well if he does not have any replies to his remarks then he does not have anything to reply to. So if you are tired of hearing from him then don't reply. It is as simple as that.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    This thread is getting close to closing also. Here is the warning. Stop feeding JLB and then he will stop replying to your remarks. If you don't reply then he has nothing to reply to. But if you give him something to reply to then he is always going to reply to it. Again I am not singleing out JLB. Whom, says he is only defending himself. Well if he does not have any replies to his remarks then he does not have anything to reply to. So if you are tired of hearing from him then don't reply. It is as simple as that.
    I agree. Besides, I'm sure you all have some opinions about whether or not I should bring my beagle with me on my hike, so I would like to hear all of the pro-dog, and anti-dog opinions. I'm not leaning either way, so you will be educating me for a change.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree. Besides, I'm sure you all have some opinions about whether or not I should bring my beagle with me on my hike, so I would like to hear all of the pro-dog, and anti-dog opinions. I'm not leaning either way, so you will be educating me for a change.
    Shut Up. We have heard enough!
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

JLB..Good show, you certainly have supported your assertions with fact and good natured debate. Why have so many attacked you for discussing one of the topics in the poll header? Debate doesn't have to be Mean Spirited if you can backup what you believe in.

Images

I'm going hiking and I think ATTroll is too. So, we will be off the net for a couple of days doing something some of y'all need to do - BACKPACKING.

Play nice!

If you can't be good boys and girls, then you will have to go to the hole until you learn better.

If someone annoys you, just put them on ignore or something for goodness sakes.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
++ New Posts ++