WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trailplace

Default Trailplace

Trailplace is back in buisness for those interested in history and the idea of the trail http://trailplace.com check it out.

:banana

Thank you WingyRay.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

hey lets all go over to wingy's site and put messages on the forums about whiteblaze.net.....he'd love and allow that...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Done.

Here is what I posted...

For those of you who like information overload, check out these other great online resources...

www.whiteblaze.net (excellent forums, good resupply articles)
    www.hikinghq.net (good gear info)
    www.backpacking.net (good light weight, and DIY forums)
    www.backpackinglight.com (excellent light weight techniques/gear)
    www.thru-hiker.com (great articles and DIY stuff)
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just went to trailplace. As I said in another thread earlier he had demoted me to the status of "guest" because of a topic asking who was going to The Gathering. As a guest you can not do anything. So why doesn't he just delete me? Oh I just realized why. It must be because if he leaves everyone on the site as a guest then it looks like his membership is a lot more then what it really is.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

You have to take trailplace with a grain of salt. The information is good, though not always up to date. Dan has done a lot of hiking, but recently? It is his own personal soapbox and it is either his way or no way. Never was a member of his group, found the ego's were way too big. Kinda like this place a bit better.

Grey Owl

There is nothing wrong with Whiteblaze nor is there anything wrong with Trailplace, each serve a purpose. I feel the idea of Trailplace sticking to the traditional values of the trail is a good thing, it makes it unique in its own way. Dan is very educated in the history of the AT, more so than most. Dan has his vision on how he would like his site, and thats his right. Regardless both sites have a wealth of information and I see no reason to not particapate in both. Both sites have seen good traffic in the last few days, is that a bad thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Amen StevieRay
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Originally posted by StevieRay882
    There is nothing wrong with Whiteblaze nor is there anything wrong with Trailplace, each serve a purpose. I feel the idea of Trailplace sticking to the traditional values of the trail is a good thing, it makes it unique in its own way. Dan is very educated in the history of the AT, more so than most. Dan has his vision on how he would like his site, and thats his right. Regardless both sites have a wealth of information and I see no reason to not particapate in both. Both sites have seen good traffic in the last few days, is that a bad thing.
    Interesting. But --- a couple questions:
    First - who (other than Dan or some of his groupies) has told you that his views are "traditional"?

Second - if Dan is so knowledgable about the Trail, how come he doesn't impart that knowledge to those on his list? Some of the previous "graduates" of his list are the most trail-history-ignorant hikers I've ever run into. Not all of them - but the hardcore "wingnuts" make themselves obvious by their attitude and ignorance.

Third - how long do you think Trailplace will last this time around? The last Trailplace crash released some really vitriolic personalities into the mainstream hiking community.

And then - a comment. I was at the Gathering this weekend and had dinner with Chris Townsend on Sunday. He mentioned that he was putting together a list of good trail information sites for publication in his next book. And that his experience with Trailplace never got beyond the Intro page. His view was that the restrictive requirements for participation on Trailplace were unreasonably and unnecessarily dictatorial and exhibited an ignorance of what hiking and hikers were about. Trailplace won't be on his list. YMMV.

Personally, I'd like to see Trailplace stick around for a while. It keeps certain mindsets busy and generally off the more productive forums.
    No one can solve problems for someone whose problem is that they don't want their problems solved.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

I really think that if the ATC would just merge the data book and the companion together, the handbook would fade away in a couple of years.

I hate to jump in here and I hate to sound like I support this guy. I was on an AT mailing list (not Dan's) and we wasted a lot of bandwidth about Dan and Trailplace. There are a lot of Dan supporters (good for them) and a lot Dan detractors (good for them) and they will never agree on anything when it come to Dan. So let us cool our jets and get back to talking about hiking.

Grey Owl

Originally posted by tlbj6142
    I really think that if the ATC would just merge the data book and the companion together, the handbook would fade away in a couple of years.
    For better or worse, ATC is the keeper of the Data Book info and the arbiter of who gets it - and ALDHA owns the copyright on the Companion. ATC gives the Data Book info to both.
    No one can solve problems for someone whose problem is that they don't want their problems solved.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

My bad. I knew they were "owned" by two different groups.

Originally posted by bunbun
    For better or worse, ATC is the keeper of the Data Book info and the arbiter of who gets it - and ALDHA owns the copyright on the Companion. ATC gives the Data Book info to both.
    The difference being that Wingfoot sells that free info. Without the charity from the ATC, Wingfoot would be out of business.
    He sells the info for a profit. The ATC should charge him for it or cut him off. He "improved" his book this year by apparently not just using the free mileage data but by copying the DataBook's entire format, and reportedly is telling people that they no longer need to buy the DataBook "because it's now included in my book."

It's time for the ATC to kick "LeechFoot" back into the gutter.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I hear he's buttbuddies with "Cry Uncle Or Else" Johnny in Erwin.

Went to Trailplace an hour ago and tried to post this message:

Sources of A.T. info (thread title)

Here are some good sites:

www.aldha.org
    www.trailforums.com
    www.whiteblaze.net
    www.outdoors.org

And THIS is what appeared after I hit the "enter" button:

Here are some good sites:

www.*****.org
    www.***********.com
    www.**********.net
    www.outdoors.org

THEN, after less than half an hour, I went back to the site and the thread was deleted. Wingfoot was logged on.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Default Like I said

Originally posted by smokymtnsteve
    hey lets all go over to wingy's site and put messages on the forums about whiteblaze.net.....he'd love and allow that...
    so much for wingy and his love of sharing the trail!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Seems like the threads on windfoot have become a significant part of the trail history, so many have devoted much time and effort to either dispare or uplift the man and his site, this too has become part of the AT culture.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Default well, duh

Originally posted by U-BOLT
    Went to Trailplace an hour ago and tried to post this message:
    THEN, after less than half an hour, I went back to the site and the thread was deleted. Wingfoot was logged on.
    As I and then later Greyowl mentioned yesterday it would be nice if everyone stopped talking about Wingfoot. These talks are counter productive and continually rehash the same things over and over again.

To correct a couple of misleading posts:

OF COURSE your links to other websites were deleted. When you registered you agreed NOT to post links to other sites:

"The forum is provided as a place of discussion for Trailplace visitors, not as a free advertising bulletin board for other A.T. or outdoor sites. Forum members should avoid posting links to other A.T. or outdoor sites in the forum. If you feel a site is worth mentioning, check with the administrator beforehand for permission to mention it (or better yet, include the site in the links in the "Hiker Resources" section of this website so that all Trailplace visitors can have access to it)."

Wingfoot has a mechanism to post links to Trailplace. It includes links to the ATC and every maintaining club. He even includes links to the ALDHA (despite what some would have you believe), Sgt. Rocks website, and (who knew?!) the Doyle Hotel.

Images

People really should leave Wingfoot alone. Don't go to his site, don't buy his book. Just let him wallow in peace and quiet. Of course, if he wants to make a ruckus, that is a different story.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++