WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

True enough, Dix. But some of the last few comments are pretty damned funny, ya gotta admit.

I'll leave it to other folks for awhile; think I'll head up to the ATC and find something to do. Mowing the lawn or folding a few T-shirts has to be a bit more uplifting than THIS thread......as for the rest of you, play nice til I'm back.

Default So true!

I am going hiking, come fire or low water!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    Actually I prefer post #24. Quite realistic and somewhat prophetic. Neither dumb nor questionable.
    My apologies Warren, you are absolutely correct. You were trolling there first .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Excellent......I guess that means someone must have finally coughed up enough to repair and gas up the support vehicle!! But then again, I've been led to understand you finda way to recoup some of the automotive expenses whenever you hit a restaurant!

But seriously, I hope you have a great hike. Just so it isn't in Vermont. Next week.

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post

Hike on. What do state parks and paid employees have to do with preventing us from walking the trail?
    Back in 1991, the state of Maine was having similar problems. Baxter Park employees were let go for a day or 2. As part of Maineak's speed hike support crew, we arrived at the main gate to find no rangers on duty and the gate wide open. Proceeded to Katahdin Stream C.G., then headed up Katahdin around 6:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Excellent......I guess that means someone must have finally coughed up enough to repair and gas up the support vehicle!! But then again, I've been led to understand you finda way to recoup some of the automotive expenses whenever you hit a restaurant!

But seriously, I hope you have a great hike. Just so it isn't in Vermont. Next week.
    I"LL be in Vermont next week. That ok?

Actually, Wolf, places like Baxter generate a lot of their operating income from these same user fees.....this money goes to pay for visitor services, staffing, maintenance, you name it. When people make the willful decision to evade paying these fees, then services at the Park suffer. If enough revenue is lost, the Park may have to temporarily close. So yeah....there's definitely a connection between the level of visitor services available, and the folks who make the thoughtless, selfish decision NOT to pay fees that everyone else thinks are just, fair, and necessary.

And note to Mr. Doyle: Since you've told us countless times that these fees don't apply to you and you avoid them wherever possible, then it doesn't matter what State Parks and their employees expect of you.....you're gonna ignore them anyway. If you're willing to break both regulations and laws, who you've acknowledged many times that you are, then nothing is preventing you from walking the Trail. So stop whining.

Noteto Wolf: See you in Vermont!

Lone Wolf-"I"LL be in Vermont next week. That ok?"
    I'll just warn the Vermont Restaurant Association to be alert.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    For once you could at least make an attempt to refute what I posted instead of trying to avoid commenting on the issue.
    I really should have ignored everything posted after this thread ended long ago. I hope what seems to be projecting into the A.T. is lopped off by a Mainetainer.

I would simply like to point out there is a difference between food for which someone has not paid and food for which someone else has paid, but has chosen not to eat. What we're talking about here is food on its way to the dumpster that's often perfectly suitable for human consumption.

Some folks might consider not putting that food to good use wasteful. I think it boils down to a question of what sort of eating establishment is involved and how one goes about it.

Sometimes, I've seen such food, rolls in particular, returned to the kitchen, warmed and sold a second time. On other occasions, I've seen uneaten bread or rolls picked off a table by diners themselves or for them by wait staff when a group of diners ate those that were provided. This often happens with larger groups and hungry people like hikers.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-11-2007 at 15:33. Reason: Clarity

I hope what seems to be projecting into the A.T. is lopped off by a Mainetainer.
    Lope. lope, lope. All taken care of Mr. SOG.
    By the way, I am impressed that the PA AT has so much more than rocks to talk about
    WALK ON

Um......Shades:

Years ago, I worked in lots of restaurants, it's how I helped pay for school.

What you said is partly correct: Restaurants sometimes "recycle" food, or decide to give food to their employees, to customers, to Homelss shelters or other charities, etc.

But in every case, this is the decision of the restaurant. It's NOT up to the patron to decide what food is still "good" and is therefore fair game for him to grab for free.

The fact that the grabbed food has been "paid for" by someone else is irrelevant. Restaurants are in business to SELL food to the public, i.e., people that wish to dine in these establishments are expected to pay for what they eat while there. Going in and grazing garbage off of the plates of strangers is NOT normal behavior ANYWHERE, and the fact that this food may be on its way to the dumpster is 100% irrelevant.

If one avails themselves of services at a Trailside or town restaurant or business, or if one knows there is a few required for use of said services, then people should pay for them, period.

Why this concept is so difficult for some folks to understand really mystifies me.

The next time you and your family go out to eat at a nice restaurant, Shades, do you really want to see unkempt, bearded, smelly people cruising empty tables and stuffing themselves with foodscraps and garbage left by other people?

Um.......I didn't think so.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Years ago, I worked in lots of restaurants, it's how I helped pay for school.

What you said is partly correct: Restaurants sometimes "recycle" food, or decide to give food to their employees, to customers, to Homeless shelters or other charities, etc.

But in every case, this is the decision of the restaurant. It's NOT up to the patron to decide what food is still "good" and is therefore fair game for him to grab for free.
    You and I agree on the statement above as does likely everyone else here. As you might have gathered I worked in restaurants too.

I thought you said you were about to donate some of your time to ATC? It's getting late in the day. Maybe you should stop posting, take a hike and start folding shirts.

Don't put away you lopper yet woodsy.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-11-2007 at 15:47.

Um.....I'm writing this from the ATC offfice, Shades. There wasn't any Volunteer work to do when I arrived, so I got onto the computer. I'll be back here to do a few things on Friday, OK?

When was the last time YOU volunteered here?

Images

It would be okay by me if you volunteered some your time Jack. Sounds like a great idea.

It's been quite some time since I visited Harpers Ferry, but I always enjoyed those visits. I don't leave The Green Diamond much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray
    -"I would simply like to point out there is a difference between food for which someone has not paid and food for which someone else has paid, but has chosen not to eat."
    Ah, you're mixing far too many irrelevant things together here to have it make legal sense. This reasoning doesn’t just apply to food but all goods and services.

For instance, if you were to buy a plane ticket to go from California to Florida but only go to Chicago, you can not give or sell that ticket to anyone else to fly the remaining distance because the ticket is not transferable and you would be breaking federal laws if you did so. True, you paid for that ticket, and you aren’t going to use the rest of the trip you paid for, so it is ‘going to waste’, but the bottom line is the airline sold YOU the rights to fly on their plane(with restrictions) and you are not free to do what you please with that ticket. Also, if you were to ‘find’ a ticket in an airport that someone hadn’t used, you couldn’t use it because the issuing airline did not sell YOU the rights to use that ticket, and, if you use it, you are stealing. The ticket isn’t the ‘goods’ you bought but is your proof that you contracted the airline for specific services which they have agreed to provide to you, not just to any Joe Blow.

The line of reasoning used by those who steal food is this: I can go in to a restaurant and buy a cup of coffee so I have paid for a service so then I can go from table to table until I have eaten all the leftover food in the ENTIRE© place. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way in the real world.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 07-14-2007 at 20:36.

OK enough is enough. I've asked several times that this thread get back on track, but so far that seems to be beyond possible so therefore....

Thread closed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++