WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Pilgrim of Serendipity

Hmmmm....

I live in Houston, another big metropolitan area with transportation issues. But to the best of my knowledge, we mainly fund our own Metro bus/train system. I'm sure it gets some state and federal funding, but primary responsibility rests with the city/county that actually uses it.

Why should the rest of Pennsylvanians fund a system that's of no use to them? Why can't Philadelphia take care of itself?

And even if they need state funding, why not use the existing surplus, at least for this year? If Rendell thinks it's so very important, he can fight to get the energy tax next year, or the next... whenever the surplus is gone. Shutting down state government even for a short time does far more harm.

The admins will have to bump this to the Politics forum pretty soon. ;-)

Ok, back on topic: has anyone tried hiking into a state park today?

Images

berninbush:

Short answer: SEPTA's a regional transit system, serving five counties, that the state legislature created. It's name is quite literal: South Eastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.
    OK, no more politics from me. I'm in a good mood today, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Back to parks: I'm willing to bet no one hiking the AT gets stopped. I'm sure the rangers are more concerned with protecting the facilities in the state parks today than monitoring hiking paths.

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    Hmmmm....

I live in Houston, another big metropolitan area with transportation issues. But to the best of my knowledge, we mainly fund our own Metro bus/train system. I'm sure it gets some state and federal funding, but primary responsibility rests with the city/county that actually uses it.

Why should the rest of Pennsylvanians fund a system that's of no use to them? Why can't Philadelphia take care of itself?

And even if they need state funding, why not use the existing surplus, at least for this year? If Rendell thinks it's so very important, he can fight to get the energy tax next year, or the next... whenever the surplus is gone. Shutting down state government even for a short time does far more harm.

The admins will have to bump this to the Politics forum pretty soon. ;-)

Ok, back on topic: has anyone tried hiking into a state park today?
    Dispatched from Murda'City:

SEPTA's opperational budget deficit exists for multiple reasons including, "Pay for Play" politics in city governments, failing/faulty infrastructure, coverage gaps, and sub-planned usage. The largest issue is that for their own reasons not enough Pennsylvanians use SEPTA. So, why keep it operating at this level? Because soon enough their will be a higher demand for public transportation options and without the states initial funding these options will be limited, at best.

Why insert a necessary bill into a deadlocked budget? Why delay a necessary fix? (question with a question)

Pennsylvania's issue: it is too large and with too few urban/commercial/financial centers. Too politically diverse.

Johnny

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    You can still walk the AT. In Tennessee, Governor Bredesen closed several parks when he first got elected so he could review the budget. When he closed the parks all the gates were closed, so you couldn't drive in, and all the staff were at home so the trails weren't well maintained. Even though this happened it wasn't illegal to park outside the park and still walk the trails.

wasn't it Gov. Sundquist who closed the parks?? Gov. Bredesen is the open that reopened them
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    wasn't it Gov. Sundquist who closed the parks?? Gov. Bredesen is the open that reopened them
    Sunquist closed several parks and Bredesen reopened them. However, Bredesen closed the parks after the state senate and house members refused to dump a lot of pork from the budget during his second year in office. He closed the parks saying we could either have pork or parks, but not both. The closure was brief as the public outcry was swift and strong - parks won over pork and lots of small-time fatcats across TN were really, really upset as their projects got dumped in the process.

Images

I believe there exists between NPS and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania an agreement known as a memorandum of understanding which is in effect if not in fact a legal right-of-way for the A.T. This document may come into play at times like this to determine whether or not A.T. thru-hiking is permitted on property owned by the Commonwealth when closed to other public access.

I'm not a lawyer and could be wrong about what I just posted and welcome posts from anyone who knows more about this issue. I still say keep thru-hiking until instructed otherwise by an official in a position to speak on this topic or until someone with the authority to stop someone does.

I'm disappointed we haven't heard from ATC. Has anyone called them to ask their opinion on this issue?

As I said before and I don't know if my earlier post was deleted when threads were combined, PGC is funded differently and SGLs are open to hiking of all kinds today. NPS corridor lands managed by ATC and its member clubs for them would also be unaffected as would Hamburg's watershed. I think any problems a thru-hiker would encounter are most apt to occur at Caledonia, Pine Grove or Swatara SPs. There might potentially be an issue with thru-hiking on state forests too.

Thru-hikers In The Green Diamond (Berks County -- slightly less than 25% of the A.T. in Pennsylvania) are encouraged to inquire with BMECC's caretakers Ron and Mick at 501 and Eckville respectively for more information. Ron's a DCNR ranger who can fill in NOBOs on Weiser State Forest. He's requested he be advised of any shutdown-related issues that thru-hikers may encounter.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-09-2007 at 16:32.

Images

Yeah Bredeson. How crazy is it that Sunquist closed the parks, yet still named one after his wife? That rubbed a lot of TNseans the wrong way, me included.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

The Martha Sundquist State Forest was named by the state legislature - not Don Sundquist per the state archive:
    the Tennessee Legislature passed a resolution, which was sponsored by former Sen. Tommy Haun and Rep. Ronnie Davis, naming Tennessee’s newest state forest the "Martha Sundquist State Forest." The resolution recognized the governor’s wife for her work on women’s and children’s issues as well as her efforts to promote conservation and beautification in Tennessee.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    The Martha Sundquist State Forest was named by the state legislature - not Don Sundquist per the state archive:

Still, The Gov closes parks, one gets named after his wife? It still smells fishy, no matter who submitted the bill. We used to have a tradition in this country to name things after places or people who have died, as a historical tribute. Sundquist wasn't even out of office, as he was the one that approved that bill.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

This post is to remind hikers headed to Pennsylvania it's hot here at this time of year. It's been pleasant lately, but today's temperature in The Green Diamond topped out at 91°F and tomorrow 93°F is expected.

Time to practice 10 before 10. Summer's just beginning and it brings with it heat, dehydration and thunderstorms! Strong hikers in a hurry to get through Pennsylvania routinely hike 25 and 30 mile days. When temperatures soar above 90°F, it's wise to hike in the morning and evening hours and find some shade in the middle of the day.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-09-2007 at 19:20.

I was in Duncannon this morning. Shades is correct. While some hikers "routinely" hike 25-30 miles in PA, it ain't happening this week. It was close to ninety by noon, and I don't think the next few days are going to be much better. The only thing that's going to happen "routinely" this week in Duncannin is that folks are gonna take an extra zero day at the Doyle Hotel.

In '95 it was upwards of 100 degrees this time of year. It was hitting 105, give or take for about 1 week. We were at the Bleu Blaze hostel and were told we had to either get up good and early and slack pack to the 501 shelter, or stay the day in the basement and night hike out. We hiked with it, one way or the other. It sucked, but we did it. If 90 degree weather is going to slow you down, quit the hike.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

To the best of our knowledge, the A.T. has not been closed in any part of Pennsylvania in connection with the recent government shutdown.

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    Information Services Manager

Images

Thanks for chiming in, Laurie.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    To the best of our knowledge, the A.T. has not been closed in any part of Pennsylvania in connection with the recent government shutdown.

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    Information Services Manager
    See? Nothing to worry about, chickadee. Those thru-hikers should just keep hiking! Standing still won't get them any nearer where they want to go.

Images

Okay, I'm back from the AT, celebrating my 52nd birthday (YES, I'M AN OLD F*RT) by dropping off a new register at Hertline campsite, by getting out on the trail for the first time since my surgery 2 months ago, and by making a little Trail Magic (ice cold O.J. goes down really well on a 93 degree day).

First, some clerical housekeeping:

to minnesotasmith - I do apologize about the rocks in Pa; the last few years we haven't had enough maintainers to get out there and keep the rocks properly sharpened!

to modiyooch - the Appalachian Trail is indeed a National Park, administered by the National Park Service, and managed and maintained jointly by the NPS and the ATC and by the local maintaining volunteer clubs. The fact that the footpath runs through so many tracts that are not directly owned by the NPS is due to the fact that, when NPS was buying up private land, it sought to protect the trail by placing private land into the public domain. Land that is already owned by another governmental agency (federal, state, county, etc.) is already considered within the public domain, and it is therefore "protected". (At least, that was the idea way back when!) Places where the local clubs had seen fit to route the footpath through state-owned land were left alone. It was largely a matter of funding, I suspect.

I personally have not called the ATC, as Shades of Gray and others have suggested someone should - my voice doesn't work too well on the phone anymore!! I could leave an e-mail, but I suspect that Karen Lutz's office is swamped with them. BUT, I was on a small patch of DCNR land today, and lived to tell about it. There were no rangers lurking behind trees; there was just the bright sunshine, the cool shade and cold running streams, a gentle breeze, the birds, the chipmunks...and hikers! In all, a beautiful day in Pennsylvania!

Go for a walk and enjoy God's blessings!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    I personally have not called the ATC, as Shades of Gray and others have suggested someone should.

Go for a walk and enjoy God's blessings!
    SB, take a look at my post right above yours and read carefully, especially the quoted portion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    I was on a small patch of DCNR land today, and lived to tell about it.
    You are a rebel SB!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    If 90 degree weather is going to slow you down, quit the hike.
    Easy for an iceman to say.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    You are a rebel SB!
    You forget that I grew up in the 60's!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++