WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RickB-"Charging a citizen to walk in a National Forest is wrong."
    Actually they aren't charging you to walk in a National Forest. If you drive there and park at a number of WMNF trailheads, there is a parking fee. No one is forcing you to go there so you have the choice to pay, stay home, or walk there. The parking fee just isn't that much.

If you're over 62, get the lifetime America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't mind supporting the NFs, just disagree with the method of collecting. By the same token I support the maintenance of my local parks, but would hate to see our cash-strapped local officials charging the town folk (or visitors) to use them. Some day they may, with current attitudes the way they are. Glad to hear you no longer get a ticket when you park along the roadside without a sticker in the WMNF. That is if I understand the new interpretation of the laws.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-24-2007 at 07:27.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Actually they aren't charging you to walk in a National Forest. If you drive there and park at a number of WMNF trailheads, there is a parking fee. No one is forcing you to go there so you have the choice to pay, stay home, or walk there. The parking fee just isn't that much.

If you're over 62, get the lifetime America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. - Cost $10.
    Actually, that isn't true. There is no "parking fee", in fact the Recreation Fee Act . In fact, charging for parking alone is strictly prohibited. As is charging for senic overlooks, or "persons who are driving through, walking through, boating through, horsebackriding through or hiking through Federal Recreation Lands and waters without using facilities and services":

http://www.doi.gov/initiatives/Recre...eeLanguage.pdf

(see the Prohibition on Fees section and draw your own conclusions)

In fact, for them ot legally to collect a fee for recreation, the site needs ALL of the following:

- permanent toilet
    - permanent trash
    - interpretive sign, exibit or kiosk
    - picnic tables
    - security services

Again, read the document yourselves and draw your own conclusions. The way I read it, most of the Iron Rangers in the Whites violate the law.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    This is good to know. Charging a citizen to walk in a National Forest is wrong.
    There's no charge for walking. Rick -- just for parking. You know. Just like in your town, only they have parking meters to collect the fee.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    There's no charge for walking. Rick -- just for parking. You know.
    Read the post above and go to the link. Charging for parking is stricly prohibited under the Recreation Fee program. The fee is supposed to pay for developed recreation areas (with bathrooms, intrepretive signs, etc..).

Here is another link that is easier to read:

http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/about-rec-fees.shtml

As you can see, if they charge a fee, 'Each site or area must contain six "amenities," which are picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security.'

Most of the areas in the Whites where they charge a fee do not meet this standard.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chomp View Post
    Here is another link that is easier to read:

http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/about-rec-fees.shtml

As you can see, if they charge a fee, 'Each site or area must contain six "amenities," which are picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security.'

Most of the areas in the Whites where they charge a fee do not meet this standard.
    You convinced me. I'm going to stop putting my "golden Age" paaport in my car window in protest. That'll show em!

Weary

Journal Entries
    Images

The should start charging those who take alder staffs out of the woods for their own selfish purposes.

Interesting info brought forward.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The should start charging those who take alder staffs out of the woods for their own selfish purposes. .
    I'm just removing biomass which Bush says will stop forest fires. Remember. We have to destroy a forest to save it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++