WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    When I last spoke with the aforementioned person who may or may not be on vacation right now, he mentioned other times based not upon the index but rather the calendar when fires are not permitted on BOF-administered units. The times he mentioned surprised me.
    When browsing SATC's content-rich website yesterday, I found the dates to which I referred above mentioned at least once. Go here for times in the fall and spring when snow is not normally on the ground and when burning -- read campfires -- are prohibited at least on units administered by DCNR Bureau of Forestry.

I'll attempt to locate and link this information which is no doubt somewhere on DCNR's website later today.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-10-2007 at 01:43.

www.hikersupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by couloir99 View Post
    I'm planning a thru-hike in 2008. I plan on starting early (beginning of March). I am curious what crowds will be like at the shelters. Should i still plan on bringing a tent/tarp? I plan on hiking/running it fairly fast (less than 4 months), and am thinking I might be able to find a shelter each night, which would save me some weight and help with keeping a small load. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Like some others have already said, you must bring a shelter!!
    A LOW GAP, 1 or 2 shelters north of Neals Gap, when I hiked through on March 19th or 20th there was abour 45 hikers already in, on, under, and around the shelter at about 7PM. I hiked another mile or two to a camp site on the boulevard. It downpoured that night like I have never seen. The boulevard became a brook, then a stream, then a river. I'm glad then that I had a tent with a floor.

Eventually I ditched the tent for a versital setup that included a sil nylon tarp, seperate bug protection, and a ground sheet of tyvek. If I was starting a thru-hike tommorrow and tomorrow was March 1 08. I'd probably start carrying an MSR HUBBA. 150 Miles in after the undetermined drop off the trail, I'd switch to a tarp, and then pick up bug netting in Virginia. However given the weight changes that are going to take place to the HUBBA series with the new fabrics in 08 it looks like it is going to be a tad bit lighter, making it an even better shelter to carry the whole way.

If you dont want to purchase a $300 tent, just start with the one that you have, and purchase a good sil nylon tarp made by ETOWAH OUTFITTERS before you start hiking. When you are ready to ditch the tent, just get your tarp mailed to you. Carrying 13oz vs 4 lbs sure makes a difference.

I like staying in my own tent. I'm sure everyone will thank me cause i snore like a grizzly bear! I was looking at the big agnus seedhouse tent, looks great for laying under the stars but can the rainfly keep out the high winds in 40 degree temps? tarp tents look like great tents for spring thru fall too. i'm just worried i'm not going to be able to block out the wind and cold in early march with one.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    On one occassion, yes, other backpackers yielded to them.
    I would probably yield too, if I had a tent with me. I know they are dumb for not having a tent, but I am not going to decide that someone should be without shelter for being dumb; I would move to my tent to let the tentless dummy have shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    I would probably yield too, if I had a tent with me. I know they are dumb for not having a tent, but I am not going to decide that someone should be without shelter for being dumb; I would move to my tent to let the tentless dummy have shelter.
    Great, then they will be able to reproduce and have dummy children. Better to let nature take its course.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I have found I sleep great in shelters when I am very tired, even when there are mice everywhere. I sleep well in my tent to though, but the key for me is that I need to be very tired, and when I am I fall asleep quite fast.

Kirby

im not sure if any one mentioned this or not...only read a couple pages of the posts...but in new york/new jersey area there are very few shelters.

also if its raining out don't we all make room? and if the weather is nice he can cowboy it.

that being said i always had a shelter with me.
    Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++