WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Golite Pinnacle Pack

I like the price and the volume as well as the weight. Anyone had experience with this pack?

Default Bought it

After looking at this pack, I decided to order one. It looks awesome and like it will be exactlty what I need. I have tried on one of these brands of packs and have nothing but great things to say about Golite products. Ill update everyone about how it works out.

My wife and I both have these packs. Hers is the womens model. We will be using them for the first time at the end of the month for a four day High Peaks trek in the Adirondacks of NYS. I will also let everyone know how the packs work out. So far, around the house the pack is perfect for what we were looking for.

Im psyched at the fact that it weighs almost 4 pounds less than my previous pack. Going to change my whole perspective on hiking!

Default Pinnacle

I have a Jam2 that I have used on two trips and have thought about replacing my Trek with the Pinnacle based on my experience with both the Trek and the Jam2.

Default Golite Pinnacle

I purchased a Pinnacle earlier this year, and I'm very happy with it so far. I've written an owner review for backpackgeartest.org, but I haven't posted it for approval yet. I hope to do that in the next couple of days. Once it's on the site, I'll post a link.

the pinnacle is a great pack, i hiked the at from connecticut north to the long trail which i followed up to canada. started on june 1st and finished on july 2nd. i never carried more than 25 lbs, my base weight was 11 lbs. it felt great and i actually wish i went with the jam2 as it was very spacious. however it had no problem compressing the load even right before a resupply. the pack is very durable and its very easy to reach back and grab a water bottle out of the side pockets while you're on the move. i highly recommend this pack for its simplicity, durability, and comfort.

Default water bottle pockets that work rule

Quote Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
    its very easy to reach back and grab a water bottle out of the side pockets while you're on the move.
    one of the best things about the pack - I'm shocked how many other packs have side pockets that won't hold water bottles -- the worst is the osprey packs that more or less make it impossible to put a water bottle in the side pocket and use the compression straps simultaneaously with out compressing the water bottle --
    Last edited by dixicritter; 07-18-2007 at 13:14. Reason: to fix coding

Default Its Here

My Golite Pinnacle just got here. I tried it on and it is awesome. Now going to load it up and go on a little walk around the park. Feels like Christmas, minus the 100 degree sweating mess outside.

Images

Smile Change out pack?

Quote Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
    the pinnacle is a great pack, i hiked the at from connecticut north to the long trail which i followed up to canada. started on june 1st and finished on july 2nd. i never carried more than 25 lbs, my base weight was 11 lbs. it felt great and i actually wish i went with the jam2 as it was very spacious. however it had no problem compressing the load even right before a resupply. the pack is very durable and its very easy to reach back and grab a water bottle out of the side pockets while you're on the move. i highly recommend this pack for its simplicity, durability, and comfort.
    I'm looking to lighten my pack load too...I have been looking at this pack as well. My question is this...is there room enough in these golites to pack a sleeping bag of 2#'s and still have room for food/stove/hammock/warm clothes in cooler weather. I am looking at the Jam from campmor, but hesitate...I currently have a camptrails triad II that I haven't used for anything but lugging fiddle heads out with in the spring (30 lbs worth at a time). I was thinking of just loading less, but seems like I'd still be carrying a lot of excess pack. So if I can get one smaller may be better. Using it only for overnight trips. Thanks in advance. Small frame/female.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    I'm looking to lighten my pack load too...I have been looking at this pack as well. My question is this...is there room enough in these golites to pack a sleeping bag of 2#'s and still have room for food/stove/hammock/warm clothes in cooler weather. I am looking at the Jam from campmor, but hesitate...I currently have a camptrails triad II that I haven't used for anything but lugging fiddle heads out with in the spring (30 lbs worth at a time). I was thinking of just loading less, but seems like I'd still be carrying a lot of excess pack. So if I can get one smaller may be better. Using it only for overnight trips. Thanks in advance. Small frame/female.
    Boarstone

I have the Golite Trek. It holds everything I need for a three day hike. Beyond three days, I switch to a larger pack.

Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    With the gear that you mentioned, you'd probably be ok with the Jam2 for overnight trips. Nonetheless, if your sleeping bag and clothing are at all bulky, you might appreciate the added volume of the Pinnacle. I like to pack my synthetic-filled sleeping bag and jacket loosely to protect their loft, and there's plenty of room to do this in my Pinnacle. Here's a link to my review at BackpackGearTest.org:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...rnie%20Elkins/

I'm not sure what led you to look at the Golite packs (other than weight, of course), but you might also want to take a look at packs by ULA-Equipment, Six Moon Designs, and Gossamer Gear. All offer lightweight and well-designed alternatives to the big mainstream pack makers. I recently purchased a used Gossamer Gear Mariposa, and I really like it. I love my Pinnacle, but the Mariposa is lighter and very comfortable. If durability is a concern for you, the Mariposa Plus is a bit more rugged. Then again, both ULA and Golite use primarily Dyneema Gridstop, which is light and VERY tough.

++ New Posts ++