WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    This thread has 76 posts in it. How are people reading and responding to posts on the first or second page page supposed to know about this post by you? It was left unmoderated too long to start now IMO. You'd have to go back and edit warren's and lone wolf and jacks and ferrymans comments that you let slide ealier to be fair about it.
    Alligator wasn't the one that let those comments slide this weekend I was. Alligator is the mod for this forum and when a mod posts a warning on this site you are not to argue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    But hell, do you read Lil Red's entries? I doubt it. If you did, you would know she is a positive addition to these boards.

And I thought with LW on the Long Trail, some positive hiker talk could occur.
    Again, read what I just posted above... When a moderator on this site posts a warning, they are acting on the administrators' behalves because we can't be here 24/7. They are just doing what we have asked them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    Alligator wasn't the one that let those comments slide this weekend I was. Alligator is the mod for this forum and when a mod posts a warning on this site you are not to argue with them.

Edit LW? No, he gets away with all the snarkiness he wants. He's a "legend" this site needs for cache. But Lil Red and her pissant 700 miles, well, let's just damn her to hell.

You are not to argue with them? Are you serious? What is this the Bush White House? Am I going to banned? Lose my talking privileges? Gimme a break.

End the damn thread, but don't selectively choose who you are going to jump on based on their trail miles.

Keep posting Lil Red.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    This thread has 76 posts in it. How are people reading and responding to posts on the first or second page page supposed to know about this post by you? It was left unmoderated too long to start now IMO. You'd have to go back and edit warren's and lone wolf and jacks and ferrymans comments that you let slide ealier to be fair about it.
    Reading the entire thread before posting avoids misunderstandings .

It was moderated from the beginning. However, I was not the one moderating it earlier. The hooking up forum has a very simple purpose. To connect hikers wishing to travel together. That's a fairly simple concept. Admin has chosen to more vigorously enforce a no bashing, no pot-stirring policy. Here it is again.

"From now on all posts that are meant as either bashing or pot stirring (even if by Warren himself) will be deleted. If this behavior continues everyone who participates will be placed on moderated post status for a period of one week (Warren included). If this doesn't solve the problem y'all would leave us no choice but to leave you on moderated post status, meaning every post y'all made on WB would have to be approved prior to it being seen by the public.

You gentlemen are really leaving us with no choice in the matter. We can't have these actions on the site."
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Edit LW? No, he gets away with all the snarkiness he wants. He's a "legend" this site needs for cache. But Lil Red and her pissant 700 miles, well, let's just damn her to hell.

You are not to argue with them? Are you serious? What is this the Bush White House? Am I going to banned? Lose my talking privileges? Gimme a break.

End the damn thread, but don't selectively choose who you are going to jump on based on their trail miles.

Keep posting Lil Red.
    Have you not been paying attention in the last few days?? LW has been edited plenty.

And yes Keep arguing You'll go on moderated post status. You have been warned.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I was not arguing with him. Just pointing out ahead of time why people who may be edited in futer posts may find the actions unfair. Just trying to help, see? That's all. Call it what you want. Fine. You da boss. You are always right...

Warning heeded. Check out my post #'s. I don't do it often and only get pissy in reply to LW.

If you check the snark, I will be a rainbow eating icecream in a jello pool.

I did miss the new editorial policy. And am very curious to see how it plays out.

My god, I've been warned. It makes me laugh just to read it.
    Yahtzee

Images

It's starting to resemble "Trailplace" around here! Not there yet but on the edge of the slippery slope.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

I totally agree Lugnut. As someone who once was a member of that site, long long ago when it was in its earliest forms, I can see where you are coming from. But there is one difference. No Dan Bruce. Trailplace was/is his baby and if you don't agree, you're gone. I don't get that the mods here want people to agree with them, just talk in a civil manner.

Hopefully the new editorial policy achieves that.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    It's starting to resemble "Trailplace" around here! Not there yet but on the edge of the slippery slope.
    You know it's people like you that make me wonder why I even care about this site at all sometimes.

Dixi,

Don't let 'em get you down. You're doing a great job. Thank you.
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    If that's your worry, why throw fuel on the fire?

This thread was started with a legitimate, limited purpose. Yet time and again, posters have entered the thread to wreak havoc. What have you chosen to accomplish with some of these posts? All you are doing is encouraging heavier moderation. If you don't want it to become like Trailplace step away from the edge of the slope. Admin is fed up. They've said so. You aren't giving them much leeway when you are insulting them. They work for free. They don't need to put up with this.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

I guess I just don't like censorship. I've been on this site longer than most and have seen all the flame wars and bickering. Most of us can recognize when a post is petty. Most of us know that when WD posts anything at all a few will drag out the dead horse and beat it some more. Rather than addressing that situation it seems that we all have to pay. I just hate seeing one person choosing what is appropriate for the rest to read. It's always been a free wheeling site, and that is what has made it the very best AT related site. Stiffling everyone won't help. Sorry I upset you Dixie. My comments were not directed toward you but rather the situation. You do a great job and we all appreciate it.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    If that's your worry, why throw fuel on the fire?

This thread was started with a legitimate, limited purpose. Yet time and again, posters have entered the thread to wreak havoc. What have you chosen to accomplish with some of these posts? All you are doing is encouraging heavier moderation. If you don't want it to become like Trailplace step away from the edge of the slope. Admin is fed up. They've said so. You aren't giving them much leeway when you are insulting them. They work for free. They don't need to put up with this.
    Wise words. Are any of the complainers really paying attention? Small potatoes located in the wrong area of the garden. Root around somewhere else.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Wise words. Are any of the complainers really paying attention? Small potatoes located in the wrong area of the garden. Root around somewhere else.
    I have to disagree Ed, this thread has been checked in on by a variety of people.

I know, I only have this small piece to tend. Between you and me, I honestly don't see how it needs this level of attention .
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I was planning on taking my motor home if I still walk the miles does that count

I have to say, the thread all though strayed "off topic" gave me great insight to the differences in hiking the AT.

WhiteBlaze staff: IMO your doing a great job and I apologize if I "assisted" in the thread getting off track. As I said, I did learn something though.
    Pedalsndirt

Why do you say I am crazy for wanting to wallk 2000 miles? =/

Default Back to the original purpose of this thread

Lyle post #64

"I know you indicated in an earlier post that you found the Circle hikes to be the most rewarding, compared to your solo hikes, once you reached Katahdin."

Q: "I guess I'm wondering, what about day to day, in the middle of the hike? Which method of hiking is more fun/rewarding on a day to day basis?"

A: Walking the trail by myself or with friends is more fun/rewarding on a day to day basis.

"Maybe, with the extensive investment in time and effort you have put into the Circle tours, this is no longer a fair question to ask you. We all know that in many situations, while we are experiencing something we are also dreading/annoyed/discouraged by it, but after we complete it, then we experience the great rewards for persevering."

Q: "Is this what you find with the Circle tours, that the greatest reward is at the end, when it's over?"

A: Yes. Being a social change educator, an unbroken circle on Katahdin is the most productive endeavor I can accomplish. It symbolizes what I believe in. The unbroken circles have been the most powerful moments in my life as an educator/humanist.

"One must know the end to know that one must win the end."

"The sheer joy of perfected achievement."

PS: I'm going "off-line" and "on-trail' for most of the next three weeks.

Happy trails!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    This thread was started with a legitimate, limited purpose.
    Some might see that differently, Alligator.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Some might see that differently, Alligator.
    oh come on Teej, we all know you just want to be invited on a circle expedition.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++