WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 2010 Appalachian Trail Circle Expedition

I would like to announce my eighth, and probably last, group expedition up the entire Appalachian Trail.

It is a highly task-oriented group committed to a 100% completion rate.

It will be 127 days long (May 1, 2010 to Sept. 4, 2010).

It will be van-supported with approximately 10 days spent backpacking.

This is not 'slack'packing though - our first scheduled full rest day is in Hanover, NH (day # 96).

This is a non-commercial, 'folk', 'labor of love', volunteer endeavor.

There are five, four-day planning/practice hike sessions from 5/14/08 to 4/5/10 that will include a total of 307 miles of practice hikes (mostly backpacking) and 30 hours of logistics/planning.

If you are an individual who is looking for a specific trail experience like this, than contact me at the below e-mail address (or check out my website below by the end of August) to get more info.

May the circle be unbroken.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I cannot imagine the kind of and amount of PMs Dixie gets behind the scenes.
    Bless her heart.
    Last edited by dixicritter; 07-14-2007 at 13:52. Reason: removed quote

Default Test case

Post #2, #3, #4

Wow! I just noticed that #2 and #3 have already been handled.

There is actually a new day dawning on Whiteblaze!

Thank you!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Just to change the subject, what is a "folk" endeavor, by the way?

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who hasn't the faintest idea what Mr. Doyle is talking about.

And if only 10 days of this 127-day "Expedition" are going to involve the use of a backpack, as stated above, then how can this NOT be considered primarily a slackpacking adventure?

Just curious.

Default Replies to two questions in post #4

Two questions asked in a civil spirit deserve two answers in a civil spirit.

Q: Just to change the subject, what is a "folk" endeavor, by the way?

A: The best way I can explain why I use the term 'folk' is this example:

In my opinion, a 'folk' musician , as opposed to a 'commercial' musician, is one who plays and/or sings for the intrinsic satifaction it gives them. They are not interested in selling CD's or getting paid to do what they enjoy doing. They just have an intrinsic desire to share their talents to inform, inspire and entertain others without expecting a monetary reward in return.

Q: And if only 10 days of this 127-day "Expedition" are going to involve the use of a backpack, as stated above, then how can this NOT be considered primarily a slackpacking adventure?

A: The term "slackpacking" was introduced to the AT experience by O.d. Coyote. a north-bound thru-hiker in 1980. He has one of the most creative and entertaining narratives of a thru-hike that I know of "Chained Dogs and Songbirds: The World's Slowest Traverse of the Appalachian Trail". I subscribe to his definition of the word since he is the one who first coined it. I do not subscribe to the more 'modern' definition of the word which is more widely known in today's AT hiker culture.

The dictionary definition of "slack" (and the one that O.d. based his original term on) is as follows:
    1) slow; idle; sluggish
    2) barely moving
    3) characterized by little work, trade, or business
    4) loose; relaxed; not tight, taut, of firm
    5) easily changed or influenced: weak; lax
    6) careless; neglectful; indifferent

I see little, if any, of these terms in our 127-day, group traverse of the entire Appalachian Trail under a schedule that doesn't change; under the expectation that one cannot fall behind schedule; and, under another expectation that once one commits to the circle (symbolic of the task of the expedition) that one cannot quit/stop unless for an unavoidable chronically debilitating injury and/or death/serious illness in the intermediate family back home. The additional fact that we only have two full rest days on the entire journey also doesn't reflect the above definitions of the word 'slack'.

We are not carrying the physical burden of a full backpack by any means; however, we are carrying the emotional burden that comes with a trusting commitment to the other expedition members that we either all get 'there' or none of of us do. I feel the latter burden is a more challenging and difficult burden to bear; and therefore, a more satisfying accomplishment.

I have finished two of my AT hikes alone; one with friends present; five with family members present; and six with people who I started with on Springer and traveled with the entire distance. All of these journey endings were joyfuly satisfying, but none so substantive and vibrant than the six unbroken circles.

The expedition is not for everyone, but some have and will choose this way of walking and experiencing the trail.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

I appreciate Mr. Doyle's reply, but can't help but point out that most of today's hikers have never heard of O.d. Coyote and are unfamiliar with his original definition of the word "slackpacking." If, as he says, Mr. Doyle has no interest in subscribing to or recognizing the more modern definition of the word, well that's entirely up to him, but when the vast majority of modern-day hikers hear about group hikes where participants walk packless for 110 out of 127 days, well, the fact remains that these journeys are going to be considered extended slackpacking adventures. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Oh, and I could add that that Mr. Doyle's description of the slavish devotion that happens "once one commits to the circle" makes his venture sound positively cultish.

But that's another post, I guess. This one is about slackpacking. And if someone spends 110 out of 127 days on the Trail without a backpack (which is around 86% of their time on the Trail!) then denying that this is an extended slakpacking trip is an exercise in self-delusion.

Warren, is the 1980 trip a book? Is it available?

When you do a trip like this, where does your group spend most nights?
    Do you charge a fee to be in the group?
    How are expenses handled?

I am truly curiuos, and not trying be a troll or flame you. Sounds interesting.

my first trail name back in 1986 was "The Yankee Slackpacker". slackpacking had nothing to do with hiking without a pack and staying at a hostel for days on end partying while getting shuttled to hike packless just to cover miles. slackpacking was walking with a full pack doing low/slow miles, setting up camp at noon, taking days off in the woods.

Default Replies to questions

Some more civil questions asked in a civil spirit....

Q: Warren, is the 1980 trip a book? Is it available?

A: Yes, it is a book. There were limited editions (107 copies), self-published by O.d. I had the honor of receiving copy #2 (after Ed Garvey).
    I don't know if any are available. Last address that I have for O.d. is in the 2002 ADHA Directory: Andrew Page
    111 SE 11th St.
    Long Beach, NC 28465-6506

Q: When you do a trip like this, where does your group spend most nights?

A: Mostly at road crossings. Optional indoor lodging happens about once every ten days.

Q:Do you charge a fee to be in the group? How are expenses handled?

A: A $20 annual donation is requested to cover expenses incurred during the 2.5 preparation period. For those folks who decide, after a 2.5 month preparation period, that they want to participate in the expedition, a donation to cover expenses of the expedition (i.e., gas, support van upkeep, group supplies, campground fees, etc.) is requested within a month of the expedition's start. Suggested donation is set by prevailing gas prices and the number of participants. Either I, or the support van driver, keep receipts of all expenses and if there is money left in the donation pool at the end of the trek, it is refunded to the expedition members if they want it.

I am truly curiuos, and not trying be a troll or flame you. Sounds interesting.

If you are still curious, I suggest you e-mail me (below) and I'll send you some info.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Thanks for the info Warren!

One more question...how big is your group normally?

Default You're welcome

The largest group was 19 in 1975.

The smallest group was 7 in 2005.

The 1977, 1980, 1990, 1995, and 2000 expeditions were in the 12-15 person range.

There is no 'quota'. It all depends on who still wants to make the commitment after going through all of the 20-day preparation period.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Jack, I'd like to chime in if I may and say that I recognize the earlier definition of slackpack(er) which is clearly different from how most A.T. hikers use that term today. You may recall I mentioned here before I hiked in 1980 too. I prefer the neutral term day hiking to the term slackpacking as used by most A.T. hikers today.

Unlike most other A.T. hikers in 1980, I had the opportunity to hike with The UConn Expedition twice. When they caught up to me the second time at Pinkham Notch, I was feeling pretty down for a variety of reasons. It really lifted me to see them again and to hike with them the next day.

Warren offered to transport my pack in his support vehicle to US 2 where the expedition would meet it the following day. I thought hard about his offer as I greatly enjoyed their company and I could stay at Rattle River Shelter to think about how I might best proceed.

I opted to hike to Rattle River with my full pack instead because I was not comfortable with committing to the entire distance given my physical ailments at that time as well as my state of mind. I wanted the option to stop earlier if needed and I always felt awkward even when I hiked only a short distance without my pack. It had become a part of me in a way some here will understand.

That night Warren's group camped near U.S. 2 and I stayed at Rattle River Shelter. It never occurred to me I had accomplished anything more or less than The UConn Expedition and still don't believe I did. They hiked the A.T. their way and I hiked it mine.

I recently reread one of Jean Cashin's 'Up Front' columns published late in 1980 or early 1981 in which she referred to 1980 as the year of everybody. It was a good year to be on the A.T. Those who can should read Jean's article.

Jack, I think The South Georgia Heathens would probably acknowledge the definition Warren cites above too.

I've got other things I must do and likely won't post to WhiteBlaze again today. Y'all behave!
    Last edited by emerald; 07-15-2007 at 07:39. Reason: Added sentence after 1st smiley.

Default Thanks Shades of Gray

...for another pleasant pre-1995 AT thru-hiking memory.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

You're welcome!

I think this is good for some but I got to agree with Jack. It seems to be a way to say you did it without mentioning that you didn't carry a pack. Thats a huge difference. How can this come close to the same accomplishment?
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

GA-ME-04
    Images

Why does each accomplishment have to be the same??
    What may be an accomplishment for me.....may not be for you....OR vice versa.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slimer View Post
    Why does each accomplishment have to be the same??
    What may be an accomplishment for me.....may not be for you....OR vice versa.
    ::: Dino kisses Slimer on the toes for having a wonderful attitude :::

Journal Entries
    Images

Like Warren has said, you just got to be content with the man in the mirror.

Too many sheeple.

Chache:

In my experience, people that hike in this fashion NEVER volunteer the information that they essentially hiked packless. Quite the contrary,they keep this information hidden and are quite uncomfortable talking about it. And there's nothing wrong with hiking with little or no weight; after all,to each their own. But people who slackpack almost the entire Trail know quite well that this is NOT what most people picture in their minds when they hear about someone hiking the entire A.T. The common perception is, of course, of a backpacker, i.e one who relies primarily on their own fortitude, strength, and resourcefulness, and not on the leisure and comfort provided by the presence of a support vehicle or group leader. People envision thru-hikers camping by streams and on mountaintops, and not cooking dinner and making camp by a roadside within safe sight and sound of a van or road. In Post #9 above, Mr. Doyle stated that most nights on his outdoors expedition, people in his group camped by road crossings. This is, of course, NOT what most people envision when they hear about someone hiking the whole A.T. Nor, of course, is it what most people want from their trips, but this, of course, is up to the individual. It's a free country.......if people wish to walk the AppalachianTrail with near-constant vehicular support; if they wish to sleep most nights next to a road; if they wish to have but two zero days off; and most of all, if they wish to spend less than 15% of their journey actually backpacking on the A.T., well this is, of course, up to them. The marvelous thing about living in a free country is the right to do
    what most folks would consider foolish, and a terribly lost opportunity to discover what one is capable of achieving on one's own. But if people want to hike someone else's hike, and follow someone else's plan, itinerary, and vision, and not pursue their own, well, that's fine, too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I wonder if people who hike the Trail these days volunteer how many days they sleep in hotels, B&Bs and other such refuges.

Hardly seems like hiking to me.

Geesh.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++