WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Hiking Pole(s), Your Thoughts?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    2005 Camino de santiago

Default Hiking Pole(s), Your Thoughts?

Some use them, some don't.
    For those that do, some use one, some use two.
    Some think they should not be used for the ecological damage done.
    Some consider that of little consequence and need the extra legs.
    I wonder what's the predominate view?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Wouldn't (couldn't) hike without them. HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Thumbs up

Wouldn't leave home without them. Have been a godsend for my aching knees. 1001 uses. Tent poles,clothes poles, snake movers, trash pickers etc. Have found the anti-shock feature to be a useless add on that really has no benefit and just adds weight. Curious to see if anyone else likes the antishock feature. PROZAC

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Due to the insistence of a number of die-hard trekking pole users on this Forum that I give poles a real chance for an extended period of time, I used them full-time during my 6-day, 85-mile hike earlier this month in central Virginia.

While there are certainly times that they get in the way (rock fields) or make my palms sweat, all in all I think they really helped me maintain a better pace throughout the day with more stability. I was able to avoid blisters by only holding them tightly on extended ascents and steep descents. I did find that I had to be careful about not relying on them too much...sometimes it was smarter just to rely on my sense of balance given the situation. I brought along rubber tips, but the trailbed never made it worth the effort of putting them on and taking them off. I might consider going with rubber tips for rockier portions of the Trail up north.

I also caught myself walking away without them a few times, forcing me to sheepishly return to pick them up, but that occurred less as the week wore on.

I spoke to an older thru-hiker who had converted to trekking poles and also had a tendency to tendonitis in his elbow (which has quite a negative impact on our golf games). Surprisingly, he said that his tendonitis had cleared up at least in part due to his use of poles. While reliance on repetitive motion to address a symptom caused by repetitive motion seems counterintuitive, I must say that my 'golf elbow' seems improved since I returned from my hike.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default Danger of poles

I was hiking along in the Whites a couple summers ago when I passed a father and 10 year old son. Just after I passed, I overheard the father explaining to the son "Old people use those poles to avoid hurting their knees on downhills". So beware, use of poles may cause you to be MISTAKEN for an old person! Actually, by using poles now I hope to still be hiking when I'm an old person.
    Last edited by DebW; 08-06-2003 at 09:38.

Images

Deb:

Reminds me of the classic Riddle of the Sphinx, from Greek mythology: "What goes on four legs in the morning, two legs in the daytime, and three legs in the evening?"

Correct answers (with mandatory explanation of why) get your name inscribed in The Weasel's Golden Book Of Over-Educated Hikers.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I started out with finding a nice straight stick, shaving the bark and knots off, and carving out a little notch on top for my thumb.

Then I ran into a day hiker that had a pack full of tree sapplings that he was planting in the woods. He was using an old pair of ski poles and he said they worked great. The next weekend I bought a pair for a dollar at a yard sale. They served me well for time.

Next, my boss bought me a treking pole for xmas. It had the round wooden ball on top that screws off to use as a monopod for a camera. After xmas I went and bought another pole of the same make for a matching pair.

The wooden knob tends to be uncomfortable doing a long hike, for me anyway.

So I then went and bought a pair of hiking poles that have the anatomical grips. Now, I'm finally happy.

As far as rubber tips or not, I prefer the rubber tips for a couple of reasons. First, they are quite. You will see a lot more wildlife with the rubber tips. Second, they cause less damage to the trail. By saying that, I'm not saying the metal tips chews the trail to pieces. Third, you'll have less slippage on rocks

The only time I have found metal tips to be needed is on ice or picking up trash.You'll also have a nice little collection of leaves on your metal tips that you'll have to clear off from time to time.

Images

Originally posted by The Weasel
    Deb:

Reminds me of the classic Riddle of the Sphinx, from Greek mythology: "What goes on four legs in the morning, two legs in the daytime, and three legs in the evening?"

Correct answers (with mandatory explanation of why) get your name inscribed in The Weasel's Golden Book Of Over-Educated Hikers.

The Weasel
    It's a human. The young child crawls on 4 legs, the grown person walks on 2, and the old person uses 3 (2 legs plus a cane). Do I make the Weasel's Golden Book of Over-Educated Hikers?

The AT has always been trendy and it still continues today, Leki and dozens of other trekking pole manufacturers have been in business forever and it's funny how trekking poles finally caught on in America. Most people I've seen on the trail carry them but don't use them...just because they are in your hands doesn't mean they are doing anything. Learn to use your gear.

overpriced. overrated. i never use them. never will.

Default LOVE them

I love them. A lot of gear stores have demos for trial periods. Give them a shot. That's how I got hooked. Now I couldn't do without. Makes me hike faster, especially in bad weather (muddy, snowy).

Gravity Man

Default Hiking stick

I grew up using a hiking stick and will always do so. Yes they are heavier, and don't collapse and you don't get the cool click sound while you walk on rocks. On the other hand hiking sticks are free and you can even grow them yourself. I planted a vine maple in my parents yard when I was just a wee lad and I have used that tree for all of my hiking sticks since. I guess this is just my funny little fantasy but it seems neat. I gave life to a tree and in return it lends me a new walking stick from time to time. Recently I decided to hike the AT starting March 15, 2004 so I have selected a fine branch in which will become my new partner for the journey. Some carving, burning , feathers and maybe some lay in work will give me my new stick for the AT. See ya on the trail! WrongBridge

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:32.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

I use my pair and would not consider hiking without them. They have saved me from many falls, have a multitude of uses and save my knees so I can continue to hike another day.

I have to disagree with you SM Steve. I hike a lot around PA and I really do not see the severe damage that you mention that the poles do, it might be because of all the rocks though .

I believe my little holes that I leave behind with my boot prints are not damaging the trail as much as those big lugged boots I see some wear. I will walk through mud puddles in the trail knowing that my poles will most likely keep my feet under me vice walking around then. Thus IMHO that reduces more wear on the trail than not having poles because without them I am not going to risk injury. The argument that they damage the trail, IMHO, is negated by what trail damage they minimize.

Don't misread me... I am all for keeping the impact we as hikers inflict upon the trail to a minimum. But if you really want no damage done to the trail then we need to completely close down the AT and turn it back to mother nature. But until that happens it is hiker pole users like me who do trail maintenance, financially support the ATC and local hiking clubs, and clean up after thoughtless hikers who leave trash on the trail and at shelters that take care of the trail as best as humans can.

Just my two cents worth...
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door.

An Irish Blessing

Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:31.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Now SM Steve, that is not what I mean and I believe you are trying to incite me by twisting my words. The point I was making was that hikers, "LIKE ME " who use hiking poles make positive contributions to the trail through various means and are not destroying the trail. You left your comment open indicating that the poles "damage the trail" which IMHO leads people to think that people who use poles damage the trail and nothing else. I want readers to know that when someone sees another hiker on the trail with polls that they should think about saying that they are "damaging" the trail and begin their lecture. I assure you "I" do more to help and support the trail than I do to damage it. I am not saying that trekking poles don't impact the trail, but then again so do my boots and I am not hiking barefoot!

Please re-read my post.. I made no reference to non-pole users at all But I did make inferences to the benefits of the poles...
    1) That they are a piece of gear that has multi uses
    2) Poles help some hikers hike and make their trail experience a little more enjoyable.
    3) That the poles reduce risk of injury.
    4) That I use the poles to hike through puddles and around them. Thus less impact upon the trail

I did find an article on Trekking poles which I believe supports your point AND my point and some pointers on how to minimize the impact of trekking poles.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...e/RGsprg01.pdf
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door.

An Irish Blessing

If the question is about damaging the trail that's one thing, but poles in general only benefit your body when hiking, that's a fact.

They only put small holes in the trail, much less than a tent stake, very similar to the marks boots make. The problem if there is one is the amount of use the trail gets...not the trekking poles.

I would rather see and hear meager poles than see a huge shelter 3 times a day.

Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:30.

I meant the depth of the hole, not the amount of holes. Either way I usually try to focus on the beautiful scenery around me rather than tiny holes along the trail.

Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:29.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++