WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Hiking Pole(s), Your Thoughts?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

I have never used a pole.

A stick.. yes. I like a good stick. Shamanistic style.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter
    I don't like the noise of hiking poles either, nor do I care for the scars on rocks. That's why I put rubber tips on my poles. Didn't notice any decrease in performance, and they were quiet, didn't scar rocks, and don't poke little holes in trails.

You're right, the rubbler tips don't poke little holes in the trails, they poke BIG ones. I used rubber tips for awhile for the same reasons you quoted above, didn't like the noise, didn't like scarring up rocks, but when the ground was wet, I noticed my rubber tips sunk in just as the small tip did and left a quarter size hole. And since the AT is very wet........

I took my poles to the Leki tent at trail days and they told me not to use the rubber tips, except on road walks. They didn't grasp the rocks or roots as well as the carbon tips do, and he was right. I've noticed my poles slip a lot less without the rubber tips on them. I watch and in most cases can avoid setting my poles on rocks. If I'm doing a rock scramble, I simply lift them up and avoid using them altogether. Rock hopping is much easier without poles anyhow.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    You got that right. You seem to like crutches.
    you got it buddy, the more the crutches, the more the life.....

I figure, if you are going to carry tent poles anyway, (hammockers hush) then why not make them crutches?
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock

Now Nalgen bottles, there is a truly usless peice of gear people are brainwashed into thinking they need.
    i agree with that, i was a nalgene follower for a period, still have one laying around here somewhere.....a big ole soda bottle works great and a collapsable water bag is of good use around the camp....

Images

As a trail maintainer for a number of years I never seen any significant damage due to the use of trekking poles. I use a pair myself, even dayhiking.

Images

I always hike with a Pole. Her maiden name was Czyz.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSweeper
    As a trail maintainer for a number of years I never seen any significant damage due to the use of trekking poles. I use a pair myself, even dayhiking.
    (emphasis mine)

a one post dude- is this because he lurks, and then has joined and posted to correct this horrific misinformation?
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

well I am fairly new here, is that a problem? And what misinformation?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSweeper
    well I am fairly new here, is that a problem? And what misinformation?
    Hey Trailsweeper, I love Upstate SC. Where do you maintain trail? Are you a member of the Foothills Trail Conference?

Regarding the comment above, some folks don't like their world view challenged. While I have seen some damage to trails caused by poles (the Bigelow Range comes to mind - near Avery Peak), I too use the instruments of Satan. In fact, I hear that Pat Robertson wants to have me assasinated for using them.

I am sometimes bothered by the click click click sound that the poles make. Hiking in Colorado with my daughter recently, she asked me out on the trail "how come your poles don't make alot of sounds?" I told her that I tried to carefully select where I placed the poles so that I could walk as quietly as possible through the woods. Thereafter, she tried to walk a bit more deliberatively with the poles.

But I digress (as per usual).
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I live near Charleston, have hiked the entire Foothills twice, and have helped with maintainence on the trail. Yes I am an FTC member. I have worked with the ATC Konnarock trail crew for the past 8 years on numerous projects. I worked for a number of years with the Potomac ATC in the Lee ranger district, in VA, where we constructed the Massenutten Trail. I volunteer time to many trail crews along the AT.
    While there is some damage to outslope on some sections of trail I have never seen any significant damage that was directly caused by poles. I use rubber tips on mine where needed.

IMO, the concern of Leki-type hiking poles causing damage to the trail is way over-rated. The clickity-clack is a good thing, in griz country. I've never seen a Leki pole in scat!

They havevn't saved my knees, really, but they do help me to maintain ballance while fording streams and trekking through some of those stretches of trail where there has been little to no maintaincence for a year or so. My poles are also tools when at camp or at other times, example, I keep a camera mount fastened to one pole via a velcro wrap so I can mount my little digital camera to the end of the pole and just stab the pole in the ground and get in the picture.

Images

Default Pacerpoles

I've never felt the need for poles. I tried using a single one on a four day trip and found it a little useful but not worth bothering with.

As cool inventions go Pacerpoles look great. Almost makes me want to try them out. They can be seen and had at http://www.ula-equipment.com/pacer_poles.htm and the makers site (with lots of info) is http://www.pacerpole.com/index.html Anybody tried them?

TrailSweeper: no no, I wasn't saying you were wrong... I was playing devils advocate, with the debate that you shouldn't use poles because they damage the trail causeing landslides and globalwarming and and and...

It was a tongue in cheek post, because finaly someone who has more expertise than just a hiker (in the fact that you watch a section of trail) more than these read a book and spout forth types. (again, here I go again- tongue in cheek folks!) Has posted about their observations.

Welcome to Whiteblaze!
    titanium
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    IMO, the concern of Leki-type hiking poles causing damage to the trail is way over-rated. The clickity-clack is a good thing, in griz country. I've never seen a Leki pole in scat!
    The clickity-clack was pretty useful in letting a copperhead know I was coming last weekend too. Reached forward to plant the pole and what looked like a spring in grass shot to the side of a rock. I didn't touch it with the pole, I was off to the left some, my feet were a step or two back. It was right in the middle of the path I was taking through the rocks.

by oak, ash and thorn nicodemus's Avatar

When I found out how much impact is reduced on the knees and hips, and then multiply that by how many miles you go on the AT, it's remarkable how anyone would want to do it without them. I know that purist will disagree, and that's fine. I keep the rubber tip covers on mine, keep a spare set in the pack, and they keep ya' truckin along.

Thanks for using the rubber tips, too bad other hikers consider they are doing the trail a favor by using metal or carbide tips.

I assume you are using 2 sticks instead of 1. Using 2 sticks doubles your comfort and safety.

Images

I'm a convert. I used to be the tough guy calling those with poles sissies. Then on a whim- I took my ski poles (not the best for hiking) on a day hike and saw the light. They can also be multifunctional. I carry a tarp now and use the poles to set that. Also, (I'm not a thru or even a section hiker) I carry an SLR camara with a tele lens. One pole has a quick attach for the camara/ lens (monopod), the other has a Y adapter that lekki sells, that allows me to use both poles as an improvised but extremely effective bipod (those familar with photography can appreciate the great benifit this can be.) Then I carry the super light weight mini tripod (4 oz)

When I'm on easy terrain, they usually go on the pack (I find them annoying when you don't really need them)

This is my set-up that I have developed (partly driven by the camera) I would borrow some, or use ski poles to try it out and see if you like them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Thanks for using the rubber tips, too bad other hikers consider they are doing the trail a favor by using metal or carbide tips.

I assume you are using 2 sticks instead of 1. Using 2 sticks doubles your comfort and safety.
    I guess folks weren't using them much back when you thruhiked. How many years ago was that??
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++