WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section-I-81 South to Damascus

I'm planning this section hike from I81 south to Damascus starting the 1st or 2nd August. Any major water issues I should know about (or anything else that one should be aware of for that matter)?

Bruce Hudson
    [email protected]
    Raleigh, NC

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

You did not specify where on I-81 you will begin hiking south. Speaking for SW Virginia, we are dry. At the same time, however, we are wet because we have been having lots of afternoon showers. They aren't, however, enough to keep intermittent streams flowing.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I assumed from the Data Book that the AT crosses I-81 at Aktins which is where I intend to start my hike south to Damascus.

Bruce Hudson

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Bring lots of water......it's getting dry around here

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hudson View Post
    I assumed from the Data Book that the AT crosses I-81 at Aktins which is where I intend to start my hike south to Damascus.

Bruce Hudson
    Well, yes it does. That is, it crosses at the community of Groseclose. Atkins is a road walk 3.5 miles away. There are also other I-81 crossings many miles north of there. So, that is why the question.

It rained all last night at Sugar Grove, which means that there may be some temporary streams all along the trail during your hike, but don't count on that being true except for the South Fork of the Holston River.

Maybe it's time for me to leave some jugs of water out a little "south" of VA 672. Will do.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

PS: I forgot to mention that I shuttle sometimes and slack others while they are in this area.--Kinnickinic
    --Salaun

I'm a teacher hoping to get another section in before school starts and since I hiked Erwin to Damascus earlier this summer (my first multi day hike anywhere) it seemed to make sense to make Atkins to Damascus my next section. I wonder if water is less of an issue further north in Virginia?

Bruce Hudson

atkins to damascus is a great section hike. there's some incredible scenery along that section, especially after crossing slabtown road and heading up into the hurricane campground. the streams are very low and even dried up now. well worth it, though.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Grayson Highlands is a highlight of that section. There was a great spring shooting out of the mtn at Whitetop when we were there - not sure what it's doing now. You will be able to get water at Grayson Highlands State Park, Hurricane campground, and at Partnership shelter. Also the trail skirts by an equestrian campground after Grayson Highlands on the way to Old Orchard shelter, should be able to get water there too.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I walked 603 south to Damascus last weekend and water was fine. The only high country source I used was the spring behimd Thomas Knob; good water, outside of that there are plenty of stream & branch crossings. Driest May on record, dry June, but things seem to be getting better.

++ New Posts ++