WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Thumbs up Moose Goo is Awesome.

I recently read about Moose Goo in another forum. It sounded really good so I made up a small batch at home to try out. WOW. This stuff is awesome. Delicous. I noticed from a search that it has been mentioned a few times here at WB, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

Here the recipe:

Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

NOTE: If you pass this around to your friends, I have but one request - please refer to it as "Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo". Since I run this site anonymously, it's not an ego thing. I just get a kick out of hearing it mentioned on the trail, let's me know I'm contributing to my fellow trekkers. A simple pleasure, perhaps, but I take what I can get. :-) Thanks!

Basic Recipe:
    • 2 parts honey
    • 2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal! I plan to try sweet rice flour soon.)
    • 1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
    • Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
    • Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.
    Single Squeeze Tube Proportions (2-3 lunches w/ large tortillas):
    • 8 tbsp honey
    • 8 tbsp corn flour
    • 4 tbsp peanut butter
    Per tube:
    • 1320 calories
    • 172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
    • 24g protein
    • 38g fat (That's a high proportion of fat, but what the heck...)
    BEWARE! Below 40F, Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo becomes impossible to squeeze out! I open the tube from the back and spoon it out when that happens. For snow camping I pack it in wax paper instead, eat it like a candy bar, or pre-pack it into tortillas.
    I melted half a Hershey's Bar into mine when I made it. I also used Masa corn flour available in most grocery ethnic food sections.

This is something that would make a great everyday snack at work if the fat content wasn't so high. I am going to try using some lower fat peanut butter on my next batch for everyday use. I would use normal peanut butter on the trail where the extra fat would be needed.

I have also been thinking about adding some instant breakfast powder to the mix to add some vitamins and mineral, extra protien, and chocolate flavor.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Images

Sounds yummy. I wonder how yummy it would be to add Marshmellows and resses pieces.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Images

to funny, I just made a batch yesterday. Now I have to go buy some tubes to put it in or roll it up in wax paper
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Journal Entries
    Images

i think i'll make some for the hikers this fall and see what everyone thinks.....

Its so so good. I made some for my lunches on my hike next week added some reeces

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    to funny, I just made a batch yesterday. Now I have to go buy some tubes to put it in or roll it up in wax paper
    I made a small batch to start with, using 1 of those Jiff peanut butter to go cups, Masa corn flour, and sourwood honey. After eating a few bites I made it into a roll and left it in the fridge. I just broke of a chunk when I wanted it. I am trying to find those squeeze tubes without having to order them over the internet and pay shipping.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Images

I know the local REI in Nashville carries them but that doesn't help you unless you are coming down this way.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I made a small batch to start with, using 1 of those Jiff peanut butter to go cups, Masa corn flour, and sourwood honey. After eating a few bites I made it into a roll and left it in the fridge. I just broke of a chunk when I wanted it. I am trying to find those squeeze tubes without having to order them over the internet and pay shipping.
    Try the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Hamburg Center in Lexington. THey have an entire wall of that Coghlan's stuff.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    Try the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Hamburg Center in Lexington. THey have an entire wall of that Coghlan's stuff.
    I figured I could get them there. I remember all those Coghlan's items they sold. I have also been wanting to pick up one of those Swedish Fire Steel's they sell also.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

HC4U, et al,

MOO GOO is awesome....Smee and I have been using it for aboiut 4 years now....We use refillable tubes until winter.... when freezing temp put it in wax paper cause it doesn't squeeze well when frozen.... UMMMMM.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Section by Section
    Images

I figured I could get them there. I remember all those Coghlan's items they sold. I have also been wanting to pick up one of those Swedish Fire Steel's they sell also.
    Now if they only had Swedish checkout clerks...
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

ditto on the awesomeness that is moosegoo... been a while since I made some... gotta make some soon...

Images

I'm thinking of substituting Nutella for the peanut butter.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I'm thinking of substituting Nutella for the peanut butter.
    Naw add Nutella to it instead of subing. Just made another batch for next week and did the nutella instead of chocolate.

I use whole wheat flour instead of corn flour. Adding cinnamon makes an interesting variation. Someone already mentioned chocolate chips- the way my son likes it.

Great spread on a tortilla.
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

Made some today at work and mixed in some Heath bar, and granola. Great on a wheat-honey tortilla

I have also been thinking about adding some instant breakfast powder to the mix to add some vitamins and mineral, extra protien, and chocolate flavor.
    Try a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Its great!

Images

I managed to pick up some of the squeeze tubes a couple of days ago as well as some extra peanut butter and honey

I am going to make a couple of tubes including one using some chocolate Instant Breakfast powder. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Thought I would wake up this 4 y/o thread. Any new ideas for Moose Goo?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

my cousin and i make this with malted milk powder, but any powdered milk - Nido or otherwise - works well. never thought to put it in squeeze tubes! We usually make balls and roll in cocoa powder or shredded coconut or wheat germ, truffle style. we also usually freeze it on purpose - yummy!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++