WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Y'all are all NUTS!!!

I made up a batch of Moose Goo a couple of year ago, and I even tried the "mookie" recipe for Moose Goo Cookies. This was the most disgusting stuff I have ever put in my mouth. I might be able to eat it in a survival situation, but not for a regular hike or for pleasure. Foul stuff that moose goo....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Stats on the AT View Post
    Moose Goo sounds a lot like Lou Osmond's (I hope I am spelling it correctly) recipe for something that the kids and I call "Honey-Butter-Peanut Butter". Simply mix equal parts honey, squeezable margarine, and peanut butter. The margarine makes it spreadable even in freezing temps.

It may sound gross, but everyone who tries it loves it!

I like everyone's suggestions of things to add.
    During my on again off again veggie days I use to make a mix of 1/3 each peanut butter, honey and carob powder. There was a Mormon grocery near where I lived they were big into carob then.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

This stuff is great! It reminds me of those old fashioned candies called "Mary Janes". Good recipe for the celiac hubby, too. I like to spread it on a bagel for a quick breakfast.

I am gluten-free as well and Moose Goo on a Cliff Bar is my lunch on 90% of my trail days.

Putting powdered milk in the mix makes it sound like Ed Garvey's Citadel Spread
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Images

I was thinking of the Citadel Sp;read while reading this whole thread, but if I remember correctly, that also contained bacon grease. I think I am going to have to try this Moose Goo.

This sounds similar to buttery goodness. http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/blog/?p=657

Buttery Goodness Recipe:

4 pounds butter (salted)

1 canister regular oats (2lbs, 10oz)

1 ½ pounds brown sugar

Half a spice jar of cinnamon (less if fresh-grated, more if the jar’s really old)

Mash up butter, then mash in oats, then mash in sugar and cinnamon. Fingers work best, utensils can be used if you’re more couth than me. Don’t let the butter melt. If you like, add extras like dried fruit or nuts. Divide mixture into 2 gallon ziplocs. Keep cool. Makes about 4 person-days of food, if the person’s days involve many hours of physical labor.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patton View Post
    I was thinking of the Citadel Sp;read while reading this whole thread, but if I remember correctly, that also contained bacon grease.
    Yes he used 1 tablespoon of bacon grease. He often mixed his peanut butter, honey mixture with enough powdered milk to make it the consistency of fudge and of course cut it in squares. I have made it for almost every trip I have made. It is a lunch and snack staple for me.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Wow, all these gooey trail foods sound interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has made any of them paleo.

Images

Don't they all contain grains of some sort as a binder?

Yeah, and peanuts. But I'm wondering maybe to do some substitutions. Almond butter instead of peanut butter. Coconut flakes instead of grains, perhaps? And there's gotta be a way to put some coconut manna in there.

Why do you have to use tubes, why can't you pack it in Zip Lock Frezzer Bags? and dip it out with a spork.

Images

You certainly could use baggies, but it wouldn't be "traditional".

So I just tried this... and it was AMAZING. The difficulty for me now will be to not eat this when I'm not moving. I will become a fatty in no time if I let myself snack on this stuff while I'm not hiking. Put Moose Goo on my hiking list. My backpacking gear will have this listed under "necessaries" for any long overnight hikes. Good protein? Check. Delicious? Check.

That's all I need to know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++