ok, so my nieces are finally of the age where I think I can take them on a camping trip without going crazy and/or losing one. Being the horrible uncle that I am, I've forgotten a birthday or two, so I'm going to catch up with some backpacking gear so we'll have everything we need when we go. (probably fall or next spring, since we don't live in the same state)

So, does anyone else have kids? (I know, stupid question, but hey). Where do you get their gear? My nieces are 10 and 8 right now, but I'm unsure how tall they are. Do I get them adult sized gear? A big packpack, or something small?

I'll be getting most of the stuff on REI outlet, because I can't afford expensive gear for both of them, but do I get extra cheap stuff knowing they'll tear it apart quickly, or regular stuff that will last into their teens? I'm thinking I'll go with a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and backpack right now to start. Do they make kid sized backpacking packs, or should I just get a lightweight one. Also, short or regular sleeping bag? A little help here for a lost uncle