WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default External frame packs

Recently, I used a friends external frame pack when I visited him for a weekend hike. I liked it more than my internal pack. His was an old Kelty (early 90's) but was not willing to part with it. It seems that externals are out of favor nowadays. Why is that? Also does anyone have any reccomendations for a current model of external?
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The he-dino use the Kelty Trekker 3950. We have a pair of the really old Keltys - from the 1970s - and this pack is basically the same.

Default External Frame Packs

After thirteen years of sectioning with a Kelty Trekker, I'm now starting to wonder. Finished up a 70-mile section in Penn. this Spring with a bruised kidney and the only thing that really makes any sense is the external frame, pounding on my torso. Granted, strap adjustments to the pack could have solved the problem, but I'm now considering going internal. I guess life is always greener on the other side....

I own a very very old version of this pack...

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

...that I used when I was a kid in boyscouts. The pack is very comfortable, and since the frame is plastic, it flexes a little making it move with the body a little bit. Kelty also makes great packs.

Campmor.com has a whole section on external frame packs, and none look to be over $110.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I'm with Ender. I have seen the Outdoor Products Mantis, which is a smaller version of the Saturn. Holds a lot, its sturdy, weighs probably @ 4#. If you are a light weight kinda hiker, youth packs might be good: they hold @3000 cu, and are cheap. Jansport Scout, Kelty Yukon, Mountainsmith something-or-other. I like the concept of it being able to sit off the ground somewhat, when leaned against a tree.

I never miss a chance to praise the luxurylite external frame pack (luxurylite.com). Mine holds 4200 cubic inches of stuff and weighs just over two pounds (you can customize it to your own needs). I've hiked over 400 miles with it and like it more all the time. Hopefulhiker, on this site, hiked the length of the AT with it. It's not for people who are tough on their equipment, and it's expensive, but it's one to consider.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    Recently, I used a friends external frame pack when I visited him for a weekend hike. I liked it more than my internal pack. His was an old Kelty (early 90's) but was not willing to part with it. It seems that externals are out of favor nowadays. Why is that? Also does anyone have any reccomendations for a current model of external?
    Just my own theory, but I believe the internal frame craze is almost entirely due to marketing. Internal frame packs just look better/cooler in advertisments, so alot of people started picking them up. Internal frames are undeniably better for rock hopping and scrambling, since they keep your center of gravity closer to your body for better balance. But they're horrible at keeping you cool in summer heat, and there's just something nice in knowing that you can just strap anything you don't want inside the pack onto the frame and go, like wet clothes and tents. For the AT an external frame is just fine.

I have a Gregory Evolution external frame that I have used for the past ten years until I bought an internal frame. This Spring I had to use my external frame pack again while I was having my internal frame repaired. I hope I never have to use the external again. It was so stiff and clumsy, I was snagging low branches the entire way. I still like my Gregory but only as a back up.

[quote=Ender;389690]

...that I used when I was a kid in boyscouts. The pack is very comfortable, and since the frame is plastic, it flexes a little making it move with the body a little bit. Kelty also makes great packs.

Since the frame is plastic, does anyone have any thoughts or info on the durability of it vs. the traditional aluminum frames?
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

Default sooner or later there comes a time

I have a Kelty Tioga........I got it mainly for the reason I expected to more or less be a Sherpa on backpacking trips with my wife....no not that... I mean carrying the stove, water filtration ect.. the weight distributation is utterly fantastic. Well balanced.... and the weight of the pack itself is comperable to most internals I have tried. Perhaps the external frame and the adjustments give the feeling of it weighing less once it's on than while putting it on ... if that makes any sence. Anyway it has been my loyal garage on three section hikes on the AT now and hopefully someday I will live out of it from Springer to Katadin.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy

Images

SQUEAK step step SQUEAK step step SQUEAK.
    They can be annoying. I have had several over many years and still have my '72 lake cruiser from Camp Trails.
    Everyt ime I get a nostalgia bug (about once a decade) I see one dicsounted and pick it up - take it out for a few days and then remember why I like internals. Then I sell it on Ebay.

I have grown accustomed to a pack that moves with me, hiking without taking my pack off for 2-4 hours at a time, with flexibility.

With the Eframe, you can't lean over too easily, You are always catching branches & and spider webs. Blowdown is horrendous to ger through. I also find I cannot walk as fast with the E Frame as I can with the I Frame.

You can find one oncloseout at www.eurekacampingctr.com If you were so inclined.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I hiked the trail with a luxury lite 2 lb external frame pack which featured a counterbalancing front pack...

Images

I thru-hiked with a Camp Trails Wilderness. It held up fine with 35-45 pounds. I loved the external pockets and "kitchen sink" pockets inside. I used the frame as a little table under my tarp to keep my gear off the floor. If it started to creak, I put water on the frame attachments. I had no problems with it except that time in Maine when I mis-stepped and the pack lurched me over and 4 feet deep into a bog pit (which was surprisingly warm - does that make sense?)

The frame was pretty much shot after my thru-hike and I have a Gregory Denali now. I think there are better alternatives with regard to weight (the Denali is 7 pounds dry) out there. Since I don't carry a lot of weight in it, I have been extremely comfortable with it. The suspension and padding are the best and I like the "hatch" layout of the pockets.

Whatever you get, just make sure it carries weight comfortably on you, allows you to organize and access gear the way you like, and has some element of coolness which you feel allows no substitute. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see your pack.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I love my external for lighter loads, mainly because I don't have to worry about the bulk of items. It's great for just walking.

I also just recently switched to a larger internal pack (Gregory Whitney, not something that I'd really recommend for the AT). I decided to retire the external from most jobs after a week of hiking through blowdowns. Straps got caught on limbs, caused me to go without a sleeping bag for a night (thank god for dry clothes and having a hiking partner). Coming off of the CDT, I had part of the frame, or a strap catch a limb, knocked me off balance, and nearly caused me to go down a very large and undoubtably fatal cliff. After those experiences I decided that an internal was the better back for more technical movements.

Now, if I was walking in more open country, I'd use my external. If I were to do something like that AT, I'd probably use my external till Maine, then think about changing.

How in the world do you change pack frame in the middle of a hike. Do you have it air drop to you.

Very very good friends, or else I'd imagine that your SOL

[quote=Scrollner;389812]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Since the frame is plastic, does anyone have any thoughts or info on the durability of it vs. the traditional aluminum frames?
    I used a Peak 1 external on my 1990 thru hike. I was doing reseach and developement for them with the then new XPD suspension system. It had what appears to be the same (nylon /plastic/composit?) frame as the pack pictured. It was the most comfortable pack that I've EVER carried. It had all of the advantages of the external but because it also flexed, it had some of the fit of an internal. It lasted for years and I had a little over 4,000 miles on it when I sold it. It was still going strong! I wish that I could find another one new or almost new. I would buy it in a heartbeat!
    I currently have 7 internals of various sizes and brands. Some are vastly better than others, some are very similar. None are as easy carrying and as comfortable as that Peak 1.

geek

Hey Jim, I have the same model peak 1 that you are talking about, the thing is great with loads under 35. Did you ever experiment with a different hip belt, I found that mine wasn't very comfortable when I had to start carrying heavier winter gear. That, and the belt needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Hey Jim, I have the same model peak 1 that you are talking about, the thing is great with loads under 35. Did you ever experiment with a different hip belt, I found that mine wasn't very comfortable when I had to start carrying heavier winter gear. That, and the belt needs to be replaced.
    The last few years that Peak 1 made those packs they had 2 different suspension systems. The original was really "hurting" for a good hip belt--pun intended. The XPD system had a very good, dual density foam hip belt and was incredibly comfortable. I had done alot of backpacking prior to the A.T. but never more than a week at a time. My first day on the trail with no extended long distance hiking experience in my past, my pack weighed 65 lbs.! I quickly got it down to 40-42 lbs. which was light for the day and kept it there for the remainder of the hike. The XPD system was constantly evolving as I walked and several components of the system were re-thought, re-designed and re-fitted until I got the system to it's final design before N.Y. It was a great system! Does your pack have load lifted straps from the shoulder straps to the top of the frame? If so it is XPD, if not it is the old system with the poor strap and hip belt designs.
    I feel sure that you can match up a modern hip belt as they attached to the frame easily with straps.
    Hope you can fit some new suspension because that frame rocks!

geek

Images

Just got my 16 yr old son an Outdoor Products external with a flexible plastic frame. We haven't had a chance to test its durability yet, though. He and I have been sharing my ancient boy scout external and an internal frame pack (can't remember what brand). We both prefer the external because of air circulation, it's easier to organize and you can strap more stuff on the outside (that's important to me because I have 5 and 6 year olds who can't carry much). My absolute favorite pack, though, is my ex's old Kelty Tioga (circa 1990).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++