WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Like you said it can be different for every hiker. I on the other hand was very pleased with my stay there. I was feeling a little off (thinking it must be a fear of the Whites) and stayed a couple of days and slacked up Moosilauki. Packrat was a great host and I enjoyed his company very much. ( Three days later I was rushed to the hospital via ambulance from a hostel in N Woodstock. Guess I was really sick and didn't realize it when I was there.)
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Hi all! I wanted to comment on this thread because I was talking about this very subject in Damascus this past weekend.
    First of all, The Hiker Welcome Hostel runs on an honor system, which is consistent with many other hostels along the AT. This method may seem like no one is minding the store, but it does work if a hiker bothers to read the rules when they arrive. Quite frankly I like that method of management because there is nothing worse than trying to microwave my frozen pizza with a hostel owner standing over me with a score card.
    Secondly, by the time NOBO'S and SOBO'S get to Glencliff, they should be well versed in hostel protocol and not be shocked if everyone in the room doesn't bow down and kiss their butt just because they are hiking the AT. I, for one, don't move from my frozen pizza or my 30th viewing of Texas Chainsaw Massacre when a hiker arrives in glencliff.
    A hiker will not get a Full Honors Greeting upon arrival at the Hiker Welcome Hostel, but you will get a cheap shower, a decent tent site and some good hiking advice if you need it. Above all. you are given a chance to be an honorable person at no extra charge.
    I have one more observation and I'll go away. It has been my experience that there is tension at Hiker Welcome Hostel between NOBO'S and SOBO'S. The NOBO'S arrive really cocky and ready to tackle the White Mountains, and the SOBO'S arrive in Glencliff just wanting a little respect from anyone who is willing to give them some love. This causes tension and segregation and it is obvious. I can see why an unsuspecting hiker could feel unwelcome in this atmosphere. Again, this is just an observation from over the years at staying at the Hiker Welcome Hostel. Take care all.

Just Jim

Hostels, B&Bs, motels and other places to take days off aren't needed on the AT. They're wanted. I'm glad I hiked back in "the day".

What are you shovelling, Wolf? On your last thru you took around 70 zero days off, at least, mostly in motels. You'd take whole weekends off to watch golf tournaments! Back the day, indeed!!

Yup. But no hostels. They generally suck. I'm not very social.

Images

just think if they didn't like each other

Does anyone have a phone number for this hostel?

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    Does anyone have a phone number for this hostel?
    Try (603) 989-5154.

Images

Default Hiker Welcome Hostel

I just called the hostel from Las Vegas with our 105 temps!!

I had a great talk with Phatt Chap who remembered me even though I stayed there back on June, 16th, 2005.
    By the way, the number for the hostel is 603-989-0040 (5154 is for the post office, but they gave me the correct number!).

I have fond memories of the hostel, the post office, and the store.
    My only negative was that I was a "soaked rat" from all the rain we had that week.

Next time I think I'll go SOBO....

Images

Back in 2005, I got turned back in the April Smokies Blizzard along with Pack Rat. Then Phat Chap picked me up outside Erwin when I had what we thought was a heart attack, but wasn't.... Anyway both said they'd see me when I got to New Hampshire. Well, I'll be there this year and can't wait to see them both!

The hostel is great.. In 05, I played several games of chess with Phat Chap and bought some used fleece from Pack Rat and shipped it home.. Jack cooked up some chuck steak on the grill and I did some slack packing out of there.. It was a great place to rest up before hitting the Whites!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++