WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Weather in Maine

I'm heading to Maine in two days to start a southbound and I was wondering if I am going to need some cold weather gear. It's been fairly cool here in Pennsylvania the past week and I can see it being even cooler in Maine/New Hampshire. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    dan

Possible frost is forecast for Gorham, tonight. That's a bit cool, for this time of year. Same forecast for Monday night.

The coming week will see daytime highs in the 70s and lows near 50.
    Last edited by Roland; 08-19-2007 at 19:17. Reason: spelling
    Roland

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I'm heading to Maine in two days to start a southbound and I was wondering if I am going to need some cold weather gear. It's been fairly cool here in Pennsylvania the past week and I can see it being even cooler in Maine/New Hampshire. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    ==========================================

We just got back from hiking Rangeley to Monson northbound and then summitting Katahdin (8/17). Nightime temps were in the low 50's at upper elevations and daytime temps were in the 70's. We did see a trend toward cooler temps as our hike progressed, not to mention that when it rained we could definitely detect a serious drop. For our Katahdin climb we wore shorts and light weight long sleeved tops with a button down nylon shirt on top. About a mile or so up Katahdin the sun came out brightly and we lost the button down shirts fast. Above tree line the wind kept things feeling cool but with the sun out we never really felt chilled.

Hope that helps. Weather changes rapidly up there in Maine so your best bet is to get the latest forecast on-line and then check with the Baxter ranger station regarding the weather in the Katahdin area.

Have a great hike ...we sure did !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default 10 day forecast/Greenville, ME

FWIW, here's a weather link to get you started. It's a great time of year to be hiking Forecast looks very good.
    Have a great trip!
    Woodsy
    WALK ON

Images

Thanks for the info, everyone. I found a weather link at the Baxter State Park website and apparently there are frost advisorys for much of Maine in the next couple of nights so I'll take some warmer stuff.
    dan

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

It was cold today in the mountains around grafton notch, be preapred for it, the Maine Mountains have a mind of their own, and you have the watch the weather forcast with a grain of salt.

Kirby

Here's some food for thought from the top of the rock/Mt Washington.
    Read the observer's comments
    WALK ON

Images

Wow. I think I'll send my warmer sleeping bag to Gorham instead of Hanover like I originally planned. Thanks for the link.
    dan

Last weekend at Baxter the temps dipped into the 40s at night, and fleece, shells, hats and gloves were needed on the Tableland.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    go to weather.com for a 10 day forecast for the millinocket area. real simple

++ New Posts ++