WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Default How many ounces of fuel for the wilderness?

I am leaving for Monson on saturday, and starting the wilderness on sunday, I was wondering how many ounces of fuel would be needed to get through the wilderness and on to Katahdin,

Thanks,
    Kirby

What kind of stove do you have? I would plan 7days worth at tops.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I agree with JG. 7 days is plenty of time to finish the 100+ miles from Monson to Katahdin.

First question I would ask is ...what kind of stove do you have and how much fuel (on average) does it take to cook a meal (boil water).

Second question would be ...do you boil water for breakfast or only dinner ??

I use an alcohol stove and can get good boilage with about an ouce of fuel. So, doing the math, at 2 "boils" per day (worst case scenario) you would need about 14 ounces of fuel. With that assumption in mind I would probably carry a 16 ounce flask of fuel. That said ...if you only boil once a day then you could probably get away with 8 ounces or so.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I agree with JG. 7 days is plenty of time to finish the 100+ miles from Monson to Katahdin.

First question I would ask is ...what kind of stove do you have and how much fuel (on average) does it take to cook a meal (boil water).

I use an alcohol stove and can get good boilage with about an ouce of fuel. So, doing the math, at 2 "boils" per day (worst case scenario) you would need about 14 ounces of fuel. With that assumption in mind I would probably carry a 16 ounce flask of fuel. That said ...if you only boil once a day then you could probably get away with 8 ounces or so.

'Slogger
    In a nutshell, There are a lot of variables there Kirby!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post

'Slogger
    I have an alcohol burning stove, the ones that can be made using soda cans (courtesy of bullseye). The sotve can hold 3 and 3/4 ounces. I have no intention of boiling water for breakfast or lunch, just dinner. I am yet to use the stove, so I do not know how much fuel on average it takes to boil water

What is a good method for measuring fuel so you do not pour more fuel into the stove then you actually want.

Thanks,
    Kirby

Images

I use a gatorade bottle and pour 2 capfuls into the stove to boil 2 cups of water.
    If you google pepsi can style stove sites, you will find an abundance of info on how much fuel it takes and tehn average out your findings based on whether you expect cold wet weather asnd how many meals you plan to make using 2 cups as the standard amount to boil..
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyinanutshell232 View Post

What is a good method for measuring fuel so you do not pour more fuel into the stove then you actually want.

Thanks,
    Kirby
    ==========================================

What I do is to carry a small booze flask that has a cap that holds 1 fluid ounce. Works well. at least for me.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I am a strong believer of not using anything on the trail that I haven't tested at home. I'd recommend trying your new stove a few times at home to make sure it works the way you think(or hope) it will so you don't have any surprises on your hike. Trying it outdoors at home with about the same temperature and quantity of water you would find on the trail will also help you plan how much fuel to carry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I am a strong believer of not using anything on the trail that I haven't tested at home. I'd recommend trying your new stove a few times at home to make sure it works the way you think(or hope) it will so you don't have any surprises on your hike. Trying it outdoors at home with about the same temperature and quantity of water you would find on the trail will also help you plan how much fuel to carry.
    I strongly agree. Not only will home testing give you an idea of how much fuel your particular stove will use per burn, it will also let you know whether you need some sort of shield underneath it to keep from setting shelters/grass/the woods on fire. And whether your windscreen works with your stove and pot.

BTW, I'd plan on 8 days through the Wilderness. If something happens (blisters, etc.) you might not make the kind of time you think you will, and you don't want to run out of food or fuel.

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Take a canister stove with 1 canister and don't worry about fuel. It will be more reliable, consistant and lighter in the long run.

geek

Images

You make an excellent point. When I read it I thought "Young Fools get by on shear youth and Stamina" (didn't we all), but it is best practiced at home first.

I would definetly cook something on that stove to get used to it and see how much fuel it actually takes.. then multiply by eight.. Also consider a litte flip top shampoo bottle to squirt the fuel. I used a little plastic cup to measure it with..

The better question might be how much food you need, then take a portion of that food and see how much fuel it takes to do what you want with it. You might also account for wind, temperature, elevation and all that. In other words round up, and if your melting snow, double it again.

Thumbs up Mr

don't overfill your stove, less than half way up, then simply lite the alcohol the stove will do the rest, and blossom in a nice blue flame hard to see in direct sunlight
    place the unlit stove on a level ground then lite.
    NEVER REFILL A HOT STOVE.
    If man was man's best freind,
    it wouldn't be a dog eat dog world

carry as much as you like. alot or alittle, your going to be fine.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I strongly agree. Not only will home testing give you an idea of how much fuel your particular stove will use per burn, it will also let you know whether you need some sort of shield underneath it to keep from setting shelters/grass/the woods on fire. And whether your windscreen works with your stove and pot.

BTW, I'd plan on 8 days through the Wilderness. If something happens (blisters, etc.) you might not make the kind of time you think you will, and you don't want to run out of food or fuel.

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf
    Another strong vote for testing at home. Can't be over emphasized.

Enjoy the hike!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyinanutshell232 View Post
    I have an alcohol burning stove, the ones that can be made using soda cans (courtesy of bullseye). The sotve can hold 3 and 3/4 ounces. I have no intention of boiling water for breakfast or lunch, just dinner. I am yet to use the stove, so I do not know how much fuel on average it takes to boil water

Thanks,
    Kirby
    Kirby, now that you have been givin enlightment, how much fuel are you going to take on your hike and what will you use to measure your fuel?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Kirby, now that you have been givin enlightment, how much fuel are you going to take on your hike and what will you use to measure your fuel?

I am leaning towards taking from 10-14 ounces to be safe, I will be learning how to use my stove in Monson, no store in my area sells the denatured alcohol I need, so when I get to Monson I will purchase extra fuel to learn how to effecctively use it.

I will most likely carry the fuel in a clearly labled, clear plastic bottle if I can find an effective method to measure the fuel. Any ideas great and almighty people of WhiteBlaze?

The one and only(as far as I know,)
    Kirby

Images

Kirby,

Glad to see you're taking the Thru Hiker stove! It will boil 16 ounces of water on about 2/3 to 3/4 ounce of fuel depending on conditions. You can go to most auto stores to get HEET in the yellow bottle. That will work perfectly. It's about a $1.50 for a 12 ounce bottle. Hope that helps.

Images

Also, I wouldn't use more than an ounce or two tops. I know the stove holds 3+ ounces, but it will burn for about 9 minutes on 1 ounce, 17 minutes on 2 ounces, boiling 16 ounces of water in about 5-6 minutes, 32 ounces in about 12 minutes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++