WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Edited for being too pitiful (Begging for a date in the women's forum)
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-22-2007 at 20:33.
    matthewski

Default Tarp in a private campground (KOA, etc...)

I'm going to be taking a road trip on my motorcycle soon and I would like to camp along the way. This seems like the perfect oportunity for me to practice tarp camping. My only problem is what do I do if the only camping places are like KOAs? Anyone here ever set up a tarp at a KOA? Any tips? I can't take a tent and a tarp as theres not a whole lot of space on the CBR and I'd like to pack light.

Thanks

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

I ride a BMW K1200LT and take a 7-24 day trip each summer.... We hammock three nights then hotel a nite for clean-up/logistic replenishment.... RV camps are the worst... few trees... those that are there are often 20-30 feet apart, tent areas with trees are sparce.... State parks and National forest camp areas are generally good ( watch out for "nothing tied to trees" rules in State areas).... Almost all will let you find a spot before checking in.....Look for places with creeks and water, especially in arid areas, there you will find trees.....

Best advice is stop early find the spot....and always have a plan B site within range of the available daylight and amount of butt you have left.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Thanks peter_pan, good info. Any specific tips on a tarp? My concern is mainly that I'll end up at a koa that only has paved sites (hear of it happening!). Ever happen to you? What did you do? Thanks agian for the info and I hope I hear from more people that ride

Most campgrounds don't have trees for your tarp as Peter Pan stated. I tarp constantly while backpacking and canoeing and I am also a sport biker. The only advice that I can give you is that if it is late in the day and you already have monkeybutt and are forced to stay in one of these campgrounds just try to make the best of it. Get the best meal that you can in the area, take a hot shower and tie your tarp between the picnic table and your bike. BEWARE! If it is windy, try to pull another picnic table onto your site as the wind on your tarp can pull your bike over! If a second table isn't availabe, drape your tarp over the windward side of the table, tie it off to the table and sleep under it.
    If the above scenario happens, just do your best and tomorrow, get a room.

geek

gah, I've heard about the tarp pulling over the bike it always worries me, if I tie off lower on the bike it would be better right?

Thanks

When we tarp, we often use our hiking poles to set the tarp up. It's very doable to set one up with 2 poles and no trees. Any chance you'd have room to carry a couple of collapsed hiking poles?

Images

Also be prepared to meet many, many people... everyone will find an excuse to wander over and see why you aren't in an RV...

Jane in CT

Images

A true trash hiker would never pay to camp anywhere. If there's no where to camp for free, that's why your car seat reclines. I hope this helps someone.

Images

Difficult to do with a motorcycle though

If you picked up one pole or used a stick you could stand that between the picnic bench and the table top. You should be able to tie it down easy enough to the table top. Two strings at 45 degree angles ought to do it, and you could even attach a third to the bench. Attach one corner of the tarp to the pole top and run it out in the flying wedge (flying V?) configuration. I'm thinking the bench wouldn't interfere much as there is some empty space in this setup.

If you have a pole, you can also set up the tarp in a pyramid shape, one side is open some. I use this setup when it rains.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Difficult to do with a motorcycle though
    Whoops, I'm not psychic or I would have thought of that.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Whoops, I'm not psychic or I would have thought of that.
    No mystical skills needed. Just read post #2.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    No mystical skills needed. Just read post #2.
    OMG, now I have to read all of every post.....as Popeye would mumble, "How embarrassking!"

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have tarped at an RV-type camp in the tent area once (forgot to bring my tent ). I did a flying diamond by tying off to a lantern pole on one side and used a hiking pole to increase the headroom. See SgtRock's page on tarp-tying for some suggestions
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-24-2007 at 11:40. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I have tarped at an RV-type camp in the tent area once (forgot to bring my tent ). I did a flying diamond by tying off to a lantern pole on one side and used a hiking pole to increase the headroom. See SgtRock's page on tarp-tying for some suggestions
    That's it flying diamond. Couldn't quite get that one out .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Can you tie one or two ends to the mororcycle?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Most campgrounds don't have trees for your tarp as Peter Pan stated. I tarp constantly while backpacking and canoeing and I am also a sport biker. The only advice that I can give you is that if it is late in the day and you already have monkeybutt and are forced to stay in one of these campgrounds just try to make the best of it. Get the best meal that you can in the area, take a hot shower and tie your tarp between the picnic table and your bike. BEWARE! If it is windy, try to pull another picnic table onto your site as the wind on your tarp can pull your bike over! If a second table isn't availabe, drape your tarp over the windward side of the table, tie it off to the table and sleep under it.
    If the above scenario happens, just do your best and tomorrow, get a room.

geek
    Jim Adams, et al,

I've done this successfully a few times over the years..... Use the flying wedge with one point tied to the left side handle bar grip, assuming the kickstand is on the left side and lock the front wheel.... Easy and sturdy, force goes against the Kick stand vs the potential to pull it over when done to the otherside, where you are relying only on the weight of the bike to keep it from being pulled over.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Thanks everyone for the info. Peter pan, So I should put three corners to the ground and then the high one to the grip? Sounds good to me! I always lock the forks anyways so no worries about forgetting that, just gotta remember my kick stand plate Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. Peter pan, So I should put three corners to the ground and then the high one to the grip? Sounds good to me! I always lock the forks anyways so no worries about forgetting that, just gotta remember my kick stand plate Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Yup.... put a string on your kick stand plate, if not there already.....Then you pick it up while on the bike.... also if you drop it down you can slide it under with your foot.... really easy in practice and way safer than installing when off the bike...If you use a tank bag store it there.....If you don't use a tank bag consider it, really nice for all the nicities..... harley folk may like the three section back of the wind screen answer.... same benefits

Pan
    ounces to grams

++ New Posts ++