Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wearing Jeans

Default Wearing Jeans

Hi,
    I've been hiking for 6 years and have always worn a slim leg jean, but I've never done any backpacking/hiking. I will be starting at Springer in May 08 and hike for 7-8 days on the AT. Will section hike like this until maybe/hopefully I reach Katahdin one day. Anyhow, I notice from pictures on this site that not many women are wearing jeans...what would be the most comfortable type of pants to wear. I like my jeans, but also want something that fits snuggly and moves well with the body. Thanks for your input!

Never hike in cotton.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Never hike in cotton.
    ah bullcrap. i hike in cotton shirts all the time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Never hike in cotton.
    Yeah, I don't know how I survived all those years I hiked in jeans. A higher power must have been looking out for me.

jeans will never dry and they will rub and cause blisters.
    use nylon jogging shorts, a skirt or nylon long hiking pants but NEVER jeans.

geek

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Cotton is comfortable UNTIL it gets wet, either from rain or perspiration. If you want someting that is snug to the skin but won't cause friction consider lycra long leg shorts (like clyclers wear) or long leg tights.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Seriously, there should be some info about hiking pants on this website. I know one major problem with jeans is they take a long time to dry out and that could be a problem at the end of a very cool day.

There are always exceptions that prove the rule. Stuff that is comfortable and manageable for a day trip might not be good for the long haul. I find cotton shirts and even some light cotton shorts or pants are OK for day hikes, as long as you are prepared to wear them wet when they get wet. On a sunny day very thin cotton will dry quite easily, and will be very cooling as it dries. Jeans tend to be the worst though, because the way they wick, and the way they incumber you when wet, even when they are dry really.

But I believe in mixing different materials, and that includes one piece of cotton even when I go on long multi-day hikes. I don't bring any spare clothing, just different layers that could be worn all at once for the worst conditions expected. The one piece of cotton I bring is plaid flannel boxers, which I wear sometimes alone, sometime under, sometimes over, and sometimes even on my head.

Images

I used cotton or cotton poly blend T-Shirts for years without too many issues, Sometimes even in winter, but I finally bought into MicroFibers adn seem much happier.

As far as denim goes, It is a heavier material and I look at each step being made a little more difficult because of the weight of the fabric on my legs (course I hate wearing pants at all. I also agree if it gets wet it takes a long time to dry, it will chafe you if you try to wear them wet and let them dry on you, and again to pack them, they are just too damn heavy!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I thought jeans might not be good for a long haul...heavy and not good if they get wet...thanks everyone

If you are looking for pants for cooler weather and are not too concerned about weight, you might buy yourself a very nice pair of wool hiking pants, no heavier than jeans but a lot more comfortable and warmer when wet, and they can absorb a lot more before the feel wet. Something tweedy looks very good on a woman, in my opinion.

Images

My favorite hiking clothes are bought from running stores. They don't have pockets, but they are generally 1) knits, which are more comfortable than woven fabrics 2) wicking fabrics 3) warm when wet. The trick is to find ones that dry relatively quickly.

As far as looking good...the fashion police are rare out on the Trail, fortunately for me.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Convertible pants (lower leg removable) are so inexpensive, out of artificial fibers, and they dry in minutes after rain. Comfortable, practical, far better than jeans. Even attractive.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Something tweedy looks very good on a woman, in my opinion.
    I prefer to see them in a little black dress.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    ah bullcrap. i hike in cotton shirts all the time

You wear a cotton shirt when it's cold and wet?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Since this is in the WOMENS forum...I will type this. You men go look for some women in little black dresses for a minute and close your sexist minds.

Tight and wet non breathables causes yeast infections.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Red face

JAK scampering off to another thread.

Images

After a long, hot day of hiking, try pulling off a snug pair of denim jeans. You practically have to peel them off inside out! (Fell in a pool, no, tossed into, wearing jeans, they wont come off!)
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Since this is in the WOMENS forum...I will type this. You men go look for some women in little black dresses for a minute and close your sexist minds.
    I'm not really a sexist, just a moron.

A Special Breed of Crazy FFTorched's Avatar
    Images

I used to be a jeans only type of person but for hiking and outdoor stuff I found BDU style pants the best, now they come in synthetics and are lighters and more breathable. Also you can get them in all types of colors so you don't have to run around looking like you are going on a commando raid. Check out www.galls.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com for them. I had a blue ones from my duty uniform with the fire department. Loved those pants and they held up alot of double-stitching and also the knees are layered.
    " It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave." -- Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++