WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hubba or Rainbow

I’m thinking about getting a new solo tent, the two that I am considering are the MSR Hubba and Henry Shrires’s Rainbow. I wouldn’t say that I am an ultra light hiker but I am weight conscious. What I am wondering is if the added ventilation in the Hubba’s double wall design is worth a little extra weight.
    Thanks for any opinions.

aka Mokay
    Images

The Hubba is a great tent and has been the preference for FL hiking when I have wanted the option of being protected from bugs, but not necessarily needing the fly on. I just purchased the Rainbow and I admit I have only set it up once (actually in the living room because it had just arrived, in the pouring rain but I couldn't wait to set it up!). It seems a lot bigger inside than the hubba. I'm fairly short but I could not only sit up in (can also do in the hubba), but actually kneel up in it. The bathtub floor in the Rainbow does not seem as "bathtubby" as the hubba, but I could seem how I could easily correct that with a few extra stitch lines on the floor supports. I will set it up outside and seam seal, make amendments, etc. this weekend.

If you think you will want to do a lot of "star gazing" breeze cooled hiking without a fly I would go with the Hubba. If you think you're going to want the fly on every night anyway (many do, even if just for the privacy) then I'd say save the weight and go with the Rainbow.

Obviously I can't comment on the condesation issue of the Rainbow being single wall due to not having used it overnight yet. Maybe some experienced Rainbow users will chime in on that.
    HUGS - J

Images

I had the same questions myself. Considering what I have been able to learn about single walls, I went with the Hubba due to the humidity where I do most of my hiking. In drier climates, I would have given a lot more thought to the tarp tent. But I do love my Hubba.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I dig the squall. The only complaint I heard about the rainbow (freestander, right?) was water gathering at the window....but I think that was solved with staking. Also, HS seems to be really good about hearing these things and then fixing the problem. I got my first HS this year, and I"m never going back!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Here's a long discussion at BPL that might prove useful to you:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...thread_id=6887

I own both a Hubba and Hubba-Hubba and think that these are tents number 22 and 23 for me. (I'm no kid) I've been plugging this tent since its inception becuase I like it so well. Easy set-up free standing, one piece no lost parts pole system, roomy and entirely water resistant, it rained nine of the eleven days I first hiked with the solo model. Very narrow but long enough to bring all my gear iside and stow in one end and I'm six feet tall. The price is right also, I think it's a good value, you won't be disappointed.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Thanks for all the replies, I still want to hear a bout the rainbows ventilation some more before I decide.

Images

You really should check out the six moon designs tents too. The Lunar Duo is 42 oz and is a palace, but not freestanding.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

The Rainbow worked well for my thru-hike and it has been improved since then. Ventilation was not a problem--plenty of air comes in around the floor and the vent at the top works well. You can also work with the door--leave it open or put it only halfway up by letting the bottom dangle. The bathtub floor can be up or down; down lets in more air. There were only a few times when I had any significant condensation, and the Rainbow is so big, it's not like it's going to get on you or your stuff. It never dripped.

If your tent is wet, it dries out quickly in the sun or just set it up as soon as you get to camp and it dries out quickly.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Just got a Rainbow about a week ago and lots of these issues are solved. There are now two peak vents. The bathtub floor still clips off into a flat position. By adjusting the "fly" tensioners you can get another few inches of floor ventilation. The Vestibule now has a full length zipper AND a handy wedge-shapped flap that when velcroed in place opens up the vesty to provide full coverage for the mess and enhanced breathability. You'll need to attach another line to accomplish this.

Johnny

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Rainbow

I've been so pleased with my Contrail that I ordered the Rainbow, too. Unless I need to carry the absolute minimum weight, the Rainbow and the option to have it freestanding is great. I've never found a problem with condensation in any condition with the latest versions of Henry's TarpTents.

I used a rainbow on a three day, and would've changed the vestibule to come all the way down, it seemed like it was only half way down. Has this changed with the new model?
    ad astra per aspera

Quoddy

I would love a review ,comparison of the two tarp tents. Here or at
    Practical site.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Natchez View Post
    Quoddy

I would love a review ,comparison of the two tarp tents. Here or at
    Practical site.
    I'd love to give an unbiased review/comparison of the two, but since I haven't had the Rainbow out in the real world yet, it just wouldn't be a fair one. Here's my opinion of the Contrail, used on my thru hike of the Long Trail, and basic thoughts on the newly purchased Rainbow, too.

For anyone looking for the advantages of a tent and the lightweight aspects of a tarp the Contrail is hard to beat. The first few times I put it up it took a couple of minutes and a bit of adjusting to get it right, but after about ten times it all fell into place. Setup wise I've used both a single and double trekking pole set-up in the front and found that I liked an angled single pole from about half way toward the right side... gives lots of access room while keeping full and even support. Seldom does it now take me more than 90 seconds to set it up. Besides the weight aspect, it packs into an incredibly small package and easily fits horizontally across my Conduit.

I've never had a condensation problem, even on rainy or misty days, warm or cool. I do tend to set it up for as much ventilation as possible, though. I do use a center rear shock corded 22" CF pole in the center rear. I've found that I picked a slightly long length and that ideally it should have been around 19", so I end up jamming it into the ground a bit. I believe that the rear pole setup gives a better rain run-off and certainly improves foot room and ventilation.

Size wise, the Contrail is huge internally and has plenty of room for me (6'1") and my gear (Don't know how I'll deal with even more room in the Rainbow).

The only "downside" with the Contrail, at least compared with the Rainbow, is that setting it up freestanding is not an option. At a pound and a half and under $200, the Contrail is hard to beat.

Initial thoughts on the Rainbow. Got it for a couple of reasons. I wanted the option of a freestanding tarptent. I thought that I could ask my grandson, an avid camper, to join me on a few overnighters... it will be tight, but doable. I plan on using it well into the beginning of winter and believe that it will handle at least small snow loads. I bought the Tyvek groundsheet to push the limit of the season before switching to my Akto.

When I get the Rainbow out on the trail for at least a few days I'll be able to give a real comparison.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I was on the Phone with Stonewall last night, and he said that condensation in the rainbow was a real problem

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

Well, I just bought a Hubba-Hubba to replace my old way to heavy Eureka. Found them on sale for 30% off. Couldn't pass it up.

Images

Has anyone had experience with snow on either of these tents?

(Small amount, not Mt. Hood.)

I don't know the Rainbow, but I live in NC and I hiked between Atkins and Damacus this summer wtih a North Face Solo 12 single wall tent. A disaster!!

Fortunately I had got it at REI and they took it back. Got up to pee on Mt. Rodgers and found my bag soaked on top-- well lots of water on top-- when I returned from the condensation that I knocked off getting out of the tent. I never slept with the door zipped becuase I couldn't breath with it closed. I wouldn't touch a single wall tent for anything a humid as the AT.

Bruce Hudson
    [email protected]
    Raleigh, NC

I love my Hubba. One night it rained all night and I never got wet.
    Heres a pic in Maine.
    Attachment 2311

Images

Last Wednesday morning, I saw Hubbas at $179. Must have been 10-12.

Kittery Trading Post. This place has gear. Never been there before. Won't stop at LLBean for a rest break on my way south again.

Can't vouch for KTP, returns, etc. but if you want to gear up with a wide array of mainstream stuff...

First time I have ever seen a fully stocked S2S bag display.

Auroras at $15. Blah, blah, ...

I would like to see a Hubba and a half.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++