WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    So, if your willing to use carbon felt instead of fiberglass cloth in your build, you can use a tomato paste steel can for the pot stand portion.

http://youtu.be/2tg12QnFS6w
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yes, that is exactly what I did yesterday, building one like Colorado Camper/Hiram Cook's version. It works fine, yet I'd like to make the simmer ring out of steel.

I ended up with Hiram's design for a simmer ring. The trick is to keep the bottom closed and adjust the flame size by increasing the distance between the bottom of the pan and the top of the ring. I can simmer just below boiling and get almost a 20 min burn time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    I ended up with Hiram's design for a simmer ring. The trick is to keep the bottom closed and adjust the flame size by increasing the distance between the bottom of the pan and the top of the ring. I can simmer just below boiling and get almost a 20 min burn time.
    Whoa! This is what I have been looking for. A simmer ring that works and doesn't leak vapors burning. I'll try this. I had been making a ring with punch holes, 1/2" tall from top of a cat food can, which I set on top. Like Colorado Camper's. It worked but leaked flames at times, probably from my construction, but that aluminum is quite delicate and so easily bent. I hadn't seen this design you have here in Hiram's videos, not with the notches. If I understand you correctly, you simply add spacers, risers, inside on the bottom of what you show here, that you set the burner on -- just raising the burner. I both simmer liquids and dry bake, but the Trangia is the only one I've had yet I can get predictable results with.

I do like the brass Trangia with simmer ring also, and you can improve it for simmering by buying extra caps or simmer caps, and dremeling out a hole in the middle so that you avoid the off-center crescent-shape flame their regular simmer lid makes, hence avoid having to rotate your pot every few minutes.

I must say, in Zelph's praise, that I bought his Fancee Feest stove recently, and would have ordered the simmer ring also, but didn't see the offer of getting it with the stove. All I saw is the "Sold Out" on the "ring only" page. Regardless of that, of all the stoves I've made and bought, his works the best and give oustanding burn times. If I could have only one ultralight stove (I consider it a stove and not merely a burner because it has a solid potstand -- genius) and toss all the others, that would be the one I'd keep as "the one." I have put away all the jetted stoves I've bought, with and without fill screws, except for the Trangia. To any newbies reading this forum, I have no connection with Zelph whatsoever, but my advice if you want the best ultralight stove, with a stand complete, just get his Fancee Feest burner and you will have the best. Built in potstand, no screws to lose, great burn times, etc. etc."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    Whoa! This is what I have been looking for. A simmer ring that works and doesn't leak vapors burning. I'll try this. I had been making a ring with punch holes, 1/2" tall from top of a cat food can, which I set on top. Like Colorado Camper's. It worked but leaked flames at times, probably from my construction, but that aluminum is quite delicate and so easily bent. I hadn't seen this design you have here in Hiram's videos, not with the notches. If I understand you correctly, you simply add spacers, risers, inside on the bottom of what you show here, that you set the burner on -- just raising the burner.
    So a couple of clarifications to my post... The simmer is not really adjustable in the field like the Trangia (I like it as well), it's more like Zelphs in that the stove is either at full speed or its simmering...

I set the "simmer" setting in my shop by adjusting the spacing between the bottom of my pan (height of the steel inner pot support) and the top of the simmer ring. I also experienced the "leaky flames" situation which I addressed by cutting the "V" shaped notches in the simmer ring. These seem to reduce the pressure in the stove which causes the alcohol to be pushed out of the wick (fiber glass or carbon felt). The notches reach down almost to the height of the wick.

If you allow air to come into the stove from the base of the simmer ring, the stove will again burn at full speed. The ring must sit flat on a surface to bring the stove down to a simmer... Here is a photo of the stove with simmer ring installed...

I agree that Zelph really pioneered the use of the fancy feast design, his simmer ring works really well. I went the carbon felt route because I really like the strength of the steel pot stand.

Thank you again, OldGringo! For taking the time and photos to give the full details. You've solved it. And all-steel.

The only thing I've found with my carbon felt version is that it will easily absorb one-ounce of alcohol, an advantage if it should be tipped over, but which still makes the wick seem dry and difficult to light unless I put a tealight shell in the bottom with some more alcohol as primer. So I tried a smaller version with the tomato can bottom as the burner only, no potstand, and half-height felt on the inside. Somewhat better but very absorbent still and not really satisfactory cooking properties. Realistically though, I don't take extended trips of more than a few days, so what' some extra alcohol, not very heavy. And I like the fact that it's spill-proof.

Thank you once again for sharing all your work on this.

Thank you again, OldGringo! For taking the time and photos to give the full details. You've solved it. And all-steel.

The only thing I've found with my carbon felt version is that it will easily absorb one-ounce of alcohol, an advantage if it should be tipped over, but which still makes the wick seem dry and difficult to light unless I put a tealight shell in the bottom with some more alcohol as primer. So I tried a smaller version with the tomato can bottom as the burner only, no potstand, and half-height felt on the inside. Somewhat better but very absorbent still and not really satisfactory cooking properties. Realistically though, I don't take extended trips of more than a few days, so what' some extra alcohol, not very heavy. And I like the fact that it's spill-proof.

Thank you once again for sharing all your work on this.
    Glad I could contribute. When I lite my stove, I almost never light the carbon felt wick... Instead I use my Ferro rod to send sparks into the fuel well and catching it on fire right after I put the fuel in the stove. The heat will force the fuel up into the wick in about 5 seconds and it will "bloom" (light the wick) almost immediately. Keeps my fingers away from the flames too ;-)

Images

Here is the page and post where the simmer ring is introduced:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...=1#post1921012

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Here is the page and post where the simmer ring is introduced:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...=1#post1921012
    I wish I had seen this before I re-invented the wheel . Thanks zelph, as always, your way ahead of the curve...

Images

The Fancee Feest can be used for "Dry Baking" see how "Shug" does it:

Images

Just wanted to introduce "orthofingers" to the Fancee Feest :-)

orthofingers

If I'm not mistaken, I think there's some difference of terminology in this thread about stoves. My understanding is that a stove made out of a single Fancy Feast cat food can with (usually) two rows of holes punched around the rim is called a "Cat" stove or maybe a "Super Cat" stove whereas, the style made with a Fancy Feast cat food can AND a straight section of an aluminum stadium bottle (or sometimes a V-8 can) separated by a ring of either fiberglass cloth or carbon fiber cloth is called a "Fancee Feest" stove.

I'm not trying to be a nit picker but just trying to get everyone on the he same page.

Speaking of re-inventing the wheel:

After many trys and even more fails I finally made an UL-Version of the fancy fest stove using beverage cans and carbon felt. The trick here is the compression of the carbon felt. It's light (9g / .3oz) yet pretty efficient (burn time for 30ml / 1floz fuel: 16:06mins).

WP_20160614_031.jpg

Here a glimpse of the ignition:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDftdSMq5g

And if you wanna tray that out, here's the instructions:
    http://paulgoeshiking.blogspot.de/20...ast-stove.html

Best,
    Paul

Edit:
    the compression of the felt and the fact that the wick does not reach all the way to the bottom makes it easy to light also small amounts (< 10ml) of fuel..

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi there I posted A few pics of my super ultralight fancy feest stove using v8 cans and carbon felt under A thread called stove play.
    I do about 5 different versions of A fancy feest stove but have switched to using fiberglass as opposed to carbon felt.
    My one verion of the super ultra light fancy feest weighs 9 grams :0
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Images

I must say, in Zelph's praise, that I bought his Fancee Feest stove recently, and would have ordered the simmer ring also, but didn't see the offer of getting it with the stove. All I saw is the "Sold Out" on the "ring only" page. Regardless of that, of all the stoves I've made and bought, his works the best and give oustanding burn times. If I could have only one ultralight stove (I consider it a stove and not merely a burner because it has a solid potstand -- genius) and toss all the others, that would be the one I'd keep as "the one." I have put away all the jetted stoves I've bought, with and without fill screws, except for the Trangia. To any newbies reading this forum, I have no connection with Zelph whatsoever, but my advice if you want the best ultralight stove, with a stand complete, just get his Fancee Feest burner and you will have the best. Built in potstand, no screws to lose, great burn times, etc. etc."
    Wow, thank you for the nice words about the design. I was down south for the winter and missed your post. If you still need a simmer ring let me know. I can send one no charge.

Journal Entries
    Images

Originally Posted by LittleJimmy

Wow, thank you for the nice words about the design. I was down south for the winter and missed your post. If you still need a simmer ring let me know. I can send one no charge.
    I agree 100 percent.
    I make several variations of the fancee feest stove aong with other jetted stoves.(just A hobbiy of mine,nothing for sale or etc.)
    And I have to say zelph stoves are the greatest,he is always ahead of the game on stove designs and such.
    My fancee feest from him is coming on my thru hike of the SHT this year unless I get this three fuel kit I heard someone is working on
    IagreeZelphmakesamazingstuff.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 06-24-2016 at 13:40.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Just got my fancee feest in the mail, first off SUPER FAST SHIPPING. Zelph informed me he would make some up Friday, mine was in the mail Saturday.
    second, super light, and super quick boiling times. 2 cups of cold water, 3/4 oz of heet, about 4.5 minute cook time. I got the simmering ring with the stove, and man is the stove reactive to using the simmer ring. I can be at a full boil, quickly slide the simmer ring over the stove and boom, rolling boil goes away, and water stays right below boiling temp of 212, staying around 160-180F. I have not field tested but I already know, boom this is a good product, good guy to work with and I look forward to using my new setup- No more canisters for me buddy I should have made this change a long time ago.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Just got my fancee feest in the mail, first off SUPER FAST SHIPPING. Zelph informed me he would make some up Friday, mine was in the mail Saturday.
    second, super light, and super quick boiling times. 2 cups of cold water, 3/4 oz of heet, about 4.5 minute cook time. I got the simmering ring with the stove, and man is the stove reactive to using the simmer ring. I can be at a full boil, quickly slide the simmer ring over the stove and boom, rolling boil goes away, and water stays right below boiling temp of 212, staying around 160-180F. I have not field tested but I already know, boom this is a good product, good guy to work with and I look forward to using my new setup- No more canisters for me buddy I should have made this change a long time ago.
    Thank you for the kind feedback. :-) I try my best to satisfy everyone ;-)

When I purchased my FF I convinced myself I would not use the simmer ring.
    After watching Shug's video on dry baking I want one.

Where on your site is the option to order just the simmer ring.

By far my favorite stove to use. I just might use it tonight for dinner...at home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    When I purchased my FF I convinced myself I would not use the simmer ring.
    After watching Shug's video on dry baking I want one.

Where on your site is the option to order just the simmer ring.

By far my favorite stove to use. I just might use it tonight for dinner...at home.
    I sent you a PM :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    second, super light, and super quick boiling times. 2 cups of cold water, 3/4 oz of heet, about 4.5 minute cook time. No more canisters for me buddy I should have made this change a long time ago.
    Listen to what Shug says about canisters:

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++