WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Love the videos, would be very entertaining to go on a trip with, I watched your hickory brothers on the Foothills Trail, funny stuff
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I have only recently started becoming curious about alcohol stoves. I saw, in a youtube video, the cat food stove Andrew Skurka said he used in his Alaska trek, which was the simple one with the paper-punched holes along the top.

Then I decided to read this thread, and it's super cool to see the evolution from idea to cottage industry on a forum!

So, forgive the question if I missed it (I skipped some pages and posts), but what is the benefit to the Fancee Feest stove over the simple cat food stove?

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I have only recently started becoming curious about alcohol stoves. I saw, in a youtube video, the cat food stove Andrew Skurka said he used in his Alaska trek, which was the simple one with the paper-punched holes along the top.

Then I decided to read this thread, and it's super cool to see the evolution from idea to cottage industry on a forum!

So, forgive the question if I missed it (I skipped some pages and posts), but what is the benefit to the Fancee Feest stove over the simple cat food stove?
    With the Cat Food stove, the stove must heat up enough so that it 'blooms' through the holes (priming time). Once it has bloomed, you may place your pot on the can & beginning heating your water. Since the flame pattern goes out & then up, narrower pots don't work as well with this design. So, a short & wide pot would be preferred with the standard cat food stove.

With the Fancee Feast stove, the wicking between the can food can & the pot support draws the alcohol into it. You can place your pot on the stove & then light it (I didn't do this, but you could). The flame pattern goes up vertically so it is a narrower flame pattern. So, pots of differing diameters can utilize this stove.

One the plus side, the cat food stove is very light - 0.2 oz on my scale. The Fancee Feast stove weighs in at 0.8 oz. So the standard cat food stove is 4 times heavier (although still very light).

Disclosure: I bought & used the Fancee Feast stove on my 2013 AT thru-hike. No complaints. Several times, though, I wished it was faster. Patience isn't one of my virtues.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Images

1. No waiting for the Fancee Feest to warm up before putting pot on.
    2. Fancee Feest can hold more fuel. Will boil 1 gallon of water with denatured alcohol using an aluminum pot.
    3. Cold pots of water placed on pot support will not reduce flame output.

This is my first time writing on a forum so if I'm in the place let me know. Has any one tried Kevlar webbing as a wick i found this at home of poi they use it for south pacific fire dancers.. They sell it by the foot and by 100' rolls It start about $.40 a foot round flat and tubing i got 10 1/16 x 1" and 10 Meters 0.10 round there was no minimum purchase and they have lots of different sizes 1/8th and 1/16th. shipping was reasonable and fairly fast. when i tried it it worked good as a wick all i could find was 70% iso alcohol and need a wind screen and i've been busy working but i'm about ready to try again. now that i have better fuel and a wind screen. The Kevlar doesn't burn or melt. https://www.homeofpoi.com/us/shop/listItems/Wick-Flat

Images

If I remember right, it will eventually melt and not easily ignite. Works good for a while. Let us know how yours holds up after using it 10-20 times. thanks for your participation in this thread.

Carbon felt will deteriorate also after a while and need to be replaced. That's why minibulldesigncult sells replacement wicks for his stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by kman56 View Post
    This is my first time writing on a forum so if I'm in the place let me know. Has any one tried Kevlar webbing as a wick. . .

I like the Kevlar idea. It seems most wick materials I've used have worked pretty well, and none work so much better that they completely outshine the others.

FWIW I found paper towel to work so well as my Fancy Feast wick I quit using other materials because doing so seemed so unnecessarily extravagant. And no, paper wick does NOT burn down past the lip of the FF can. It lasts quite well. And, if I eventually have to replace it, I won't go broke getting more wick or pull all my hair out trying to find a source for my wick of choice.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

At the very least, it's good to know a paper towel will work that well in a pinch.

I would have assumed not, but this is a good illustration of why it's often not safe to assume....

Now, I would wonder about Kevlar because it is a plastic, although once again I might be proven wrong to assume. I'm happy that somebody else will try it and report the results.

Images

Read my Post#7 in this thread:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...l=1#post237420

I've used the kevlar sleeves as wick material.

After 4-5 burns of 1 ounce fuel(denatured alcohol) the first layer became charred and crumbled to a dust like substance. The damaging affect comes when the most of the fuel has been spent and is burning hot against the wick. The fibers actually glow red hot in places.

The sleeves make nice Hiny pot cozys. Over on HHQ site I started a thread in the homemade gear section showing the pot cozy. Sorry I don't have the link to it.

I would guess the firedancers extinguish their "torches on a string"(what is the proper name?) long before they get to the low fuel point that I described above.

Kevlar is a unique plastic that is high heat resistant but a direct flame will melt it in short order.

Will this fancee feest stove work with the olicamp xts pot?

Images

Will this fancee feest stove work with the olicamp xts pot?
    Yes, it will work with that pot.

Thanks to this thread, I have broadened my knowledge of the world.

I would have never imagined Poi was so popular that it had a supply website. Not just any supply website. Possibly the most comprehensive website of its kind I have ever seen or would have ever imagined!!! OMG!!! I spent 10 minutes looking at two of countless categories!!! You crazy Kiwi's!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! I bet they do a fantastic business with BurningMan and ravers....

Images

What kind of stoves are they using at BurningMan? Multi-use Everclear ? :-)

Just ordered 2! Woot, alcohol stove world, here I come!

Journal Entries
    Images

The raccoons around my place would love that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Dogs will always eat cat food, but not vice versa.

But if you really want a cat, just open a can of cat food and place it outside your door. You'll have at least one before the sun sets.

Just ordered 2! Woot, alcohol stove world, here I come!
    Woohoo! Arrived yesterday!

Another question to Zelph: Have you experimented with putting notches along the top of the pot stand? Possibly allowing flames to touch the area of the pot inside the circle? If so, what were the results?

Images

Woohoo! Arrived yesterday!

Another question to Zelph: Have you experimented with putting notches along the top of the pot stand? Possibly allowing flames to touch the area of the pot inside the circle? If so, what were the results?
    an educated guess :-) Flames will not be able to be had inside the ring of fire next to the pot support because oxygen can't get in there. the rising outside flame prevents oxygen from getting in.
    I have not tried notches.

Images

Thanks for the info. Learned a lot.
    Miguelon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

FWIW I found paper towel to work so well as my Fancy Feast wick I quit using other materials because doing so seemed so unnecessarily extravagant. And no, paper wick does NOT burn down past the lip of the FF can. It lasts quite well. And, if I eventually have to replace it, I won't go broke getting more wick or pull all my hair out trying to find a source for my wick of choice.
    I agree, paper towel will not burn past the lip of the can as long as you blow out the flame before all the fuel has been consumed. If you let it burn it's self out, the paper will eventually get consumed. And that's ok, paper towels don't cost an arm and a leg

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++