WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Yes!!!! that's it, that's the one. Boy, was I far off or what!!!!!

LostInSpace has the ticket to a less expensive way to arrive at the same destination. Steel replacement window screen. Use that if you can't find the ss globe replacements. Experiment, it should work!!!

Thanks Skids, howd you do that?

Thanks LostInSpace, good idea

Thanks for the compliment Pure!

Just thought that I would post an update on locating the SS globe screen at K-Mart.

I have two K-Marts in my area. I went to the one that was closest and it was like looking through a GoodWill store but worse. Almost every aisle was in complete disarray. Needless to say their camping dept. was also the same way. No globes to be had.

I then went to the second store that is further away and they had about a dozen in stock. I picked up two of the globes. They turned out to be $3.00 a piece.

While I was at both stores I also looked for another grease pot or two, just in case, but they were both out of stock.

Images

I have some copper screen I rescued from a dumpster. I wrapped it around a cylinder of wire cloth and pushed them into a cat food can. Worked nice.

To those that have used the SS globe material how did you go about breaking the "weld" used to join the two ends? Did you just use tin snips to cut along one side of the weld? Is there something better to use to cut the material? Just let me know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    I have some copper screen I rescued from a dumpster. I wrapped it around a cylinder of wire cloth and pushed them into a cat food can. Worked nice.
    Dumpster diving and thrift store treasures!!!!! good source for stove materials.

Kmart is hot!!! they have reduced the price of the globes. I suspect because they have not sold well. Locally they are remodeling the store so they have lots and lots of stuff reduced by 50% That equates to 1/2 of $3.00 = $1.50 for the globes. Thats why I bought all that were on the shelves. Go out and get em while they last.

Tin snips is the tool to use on the globe, especialy when you have to cut through the doubled layer at the rim of the globe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Heyn View Post

I then went to the second store that is further away and they had about a dozen in stock. I picked up two of the globes. They turned out to be $3.00 a piece.
    Todd, you've got the materials by now, how you doing on making your own?

Give us an update.

I really like the Fancy Feast stove. It seems to fit all of my requirements so far. I can boil up to three cups of water in my Heiny Pot. I do not need a seperate pot stand. Everything fits right into the pot.

I just receive a box of the larger tea light candles from Skidsteer. I started to make a mini Fancy Feast Stove yesterday. I will try it out tonight. If it work well, that really should be the cats a$$. Pun intended. I really do not need the three ounce capacity of the full size Fancy Feast so the 2" tea light tin should work out well.

I'll let everyone know the results.

I just got home and went straight to the basement. My Fancy feast stove in the 2" tea-light tin performed like a champ. It holds one ounce of alcohol and boiled three cups of room 70 degree water in 7 1/2 minutes and continued to burn through the 9 minute mark. I know the standard is 2 cups of water but I use 3 as that is what my wife and I usually go through in an evening meal. I have a feeling that this is going to be my "Go To" stove in the future when I am using the Heiny Pot.

I'll test later with 2 cups to give everyone a better benchmark.

Default matthewski's pick

zelph has generously donated two stoves of the starlyte make and modle to be demonstrated most hours of the day and eve at my tent . follow the smell of bacon by day, steak by night and dog by noon. one of these little butes will become johnny thunders permanent stove. he will be attempting to thru hike this comming april! the other will be my " magic and gatherings accessory stove. " while i will continue to attempt thru hikes with my trangia and clickstand, the heaveyest and slowest but most efficient and stablest stove ever made, i will enjoy the starlyte as a child newborn to the family. it has my highest fun rateing and i really think zelph could go commersh if he was so inclined to be wealthy. anyone who wants to go " alcoholic" , go starlyte. for the beginner or the dumbass trash face, its simply the most fun you can have exsorsizing the deeply buried youthful pyro in each one of us .
    matthewski

I just got done with the two cup test on the 2" Tea Light Fancy Feast style stove. One ounce of alcohol brought 2 cups of 76.5 degree water to a rolling boil in 6 minutes and 15 seconds. The water continued to boil until flame out at 8 minutes and 50 seconds.

Quite respectable results I think.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Heyn View Post
    I just got done with the two cup test on the 2" Tea Light Fancy Feast style stove. One ounce of alcohol brought 2 cups of 76.5 degree water to a rolling boil in 6 minutes and 15 seconds. The water continued to boil until flame out at 8 minutes and 50 seconds.

Quite respectable results I think.
    You really did it now.

Now Zelph and I are gonna be sending you all kinds of crap to combine and make stoves.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    zelph has generously donated two stoves of the starlyte make and modle to be demonstrated most hours of the day and eve at my tent . follow the smell of bacon by day, steak by night and dog by noon. one of these little butes will become johnny thunders permanent stove. he will be attempting to thru hike this comming april! the other will be my " magic and gatherings accessory stove. " while i will continue to attempt thru hikes with my trangia and clickstand, the heaveyest and slowest but most efficient and stablest stove ever made, i will enjoy the starlyte as a child newborn to the family. it has my highest fun rateing and i really think zelph could go commersh if he was so inclined to be wealthy. anyone who wants to go " alcoholic" , go starlyte. for the beginner or the dumbass trash face, its simply the most fun you can have exsorsizing the deeply buried youthful pyro in each one of us .
    I also sent along a mystery stove to keep you amused and might persuade you to retire your trangia.

Be sure to stop bye and see Mathewski, take some bacon with, He'll sit up and do tricks for a little bit of bacon.

I'll be seeing you in the spring at Trail Days.

StarLytes are the best.

Default Stainless mesh availability

Kmart in my area had the stainless on clearance for $2.00. I took their last 4. Wal-mart used to sell them but has already dropped them. Better get the material while you can. It looks like corporate hq has said no more stainless globes.

I like the simplicity of this design and the fact the stove can easily be used solo or for group cooking. Kudos Zelph!

Quote Originally Posted by bobgessner57 View Post
    Kmart in my area had the stainless on clearance for $2.00. I took their last 4. Wal-mart used to sell them but has already dropped them. Better get the material while you can. It looks like corporate hq has said no more stainless globes.

I like the simplicity of this design and the fact the stove can easily be used solo or for group cooking. Kudos Zelph!
    What aisle in Kmart do you find these? The kmarts in my area seem to always be in disarray and I am not sure if I am looking in the right place. Thanks.

Right in the camping aisle. Mine have been on the top shelf. The K-Martts in my area are each drastically different. One is worse than shopping at the Good Will and the other is just like a Wal-Mart or target. Totally different shopping experiences.

Good Luck.
    "Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

I checked at the K-Mart near me today. They had none of these mesh things in the regular camping department or in the clearance area. In fact, they only seemed to have one non-electric lantern at all.

The had three of the nice little grease pots in stock, but they have gone up to $8.19. Scanned it myself.

Okay, so I went to the other K-Mart today. They have three of these globes scanning for $2.50 each, not marked as on clearance, on the regular shelf. The also have six grease pots at $8.19.

Questions:

1. Do you have to re-weld the mesh or it's okay just to cut it with snips and curl it up in the cat food can?

2. Is it worth the weight for the extra efficiency over a regular supercat? The flame in the pic looks really nice and blue.

3. Is the pot pretty steady on top of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Okay, so I went to the other K-Mart today. They have three of these globes scanning for $2.50 each, not marked as on clearance, on the regular shelf. The also have six grease pots at $8.19.

Questions:

1. Do you have to re-weld the mesh or it's okay just to cut it with snips and curl it up in the cat food can?

2. Is it worth the weight for the extra efficiency over a regular supercat? The flame in the pic looks really nice and blue.

1 - I used a tiny dab of JB weld to keep the top from spreading too much. You could also sew the two halves together with SS wires from your scrap.

2 - I really like this stove. I believe it will be my go to stove for both the grease pot and the heiny pot.

3 - Yes, the pot is very steady.
    "Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

Questions:

rewelding is not necessary.

Get something that is 3/4 inch in diameter, use it to pre-curl the mesh around. It will help ease the tension of the larger diameter curl that the globe has originally. The tension will want to make the mesh curl up and out kinda. Get rid of the tension by curling over the 3/4 diameter something.

It's a bummer that they upped the price on the grease pots. My kitchen grease pot recently was found to have a hole eaten into its bottom by the grease Mathewski, go easy on the the bacon

Had these photos on hand to show grease pots and safe cutter for removing tops from heinekin cans. They are just for the heck of it.

Oh god I feel myself getting pulled into this stove stuff. I really like my supercat, it's so light, so simple.

If anybody is desperate for this mesh and can't find it at their KMart, let me know, I'll go back and hope they have them still.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++