WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Oh god I feel myself getting pulled into this stove stuff. I really like my supercat, it's so light, so simple.

If anybody is desperate for this mesh and can't find it at their KMart, let me know, I'll go back and hope they have them still.
    It's OK.

It is a relatively cheap addiction, as addictions go....
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Sorry this might have been covered in a different thread but I have all the materials for this stove (my first DIY) minus the whick. Where do you normally buy this and what is the name of the product?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheeptoast View Post
    Sorry this might have been covered in a different thread but I have all the materials for this stove (my first DIY) minus the whick. Where do you normally buy this and what is the name of the product?
    At hardware stores and automotive parts stores. Ask for Bondo brand fiberglass cloth.

I'm confused, Zelph, on your site is says there is no wick needed, how do I make the wick? Some of us are stove-n00bs.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    At hardware stores and automotive parts stores. Ask for Bondo brand fiberglass cloth.

Thanks allot

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Yesterday, Zelph wrote "safe cutter for removing tops from heinekin cans."

I bought one from walmart several weeks ago, the very same one. It pained me to spend $10.00 on a can opener.

It is better for making a pot, but not for preparing cans for a stove build because it leaves some of the rolled over top in place. like a barrel hoop.
    You can't stretch the top or force it inside ot the second piece.

Tom

Images

I'm confused, Zelph, on your site is says there is no wick needed, how do I make the wick? Some of us are stove-n00bs.
    I've been known to make some mistakes and be confusing

Show me where on my site so I can correct that. Fiberglass cloth is needed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Yesterday, Zelph wrote "safe cutter for removing tops from heinekin cans."

I bought one from walmart several weeks ago, the very same one. It pained me to spend $10.00 on a can opener.

It is better for making a pot, but not for preparing cans for a stove build because it leaves some of the rolled over top in place. like a barrel hoop.
    You can't stretch the top or force it inside ot the second piece.

Tom
    It pained me the first time also. I had to buy a second one once I started selling heiny pots with Ring of fire stoves. I learned that the drive wheel has to be cleaned after every cut can or else the aluminum piled up on the wheel and would fail to make a good complete cut.

Images

It pained me the first time also. I had to buy a second one once I started selling heiny pots with Ring of fire stoves. I learned that the drive wheel has to be cleaned after every cut can or else the aluminum piled up on the wheel and would fail to make a good complete cut.
    I lucked up and found one in a Goodwill yesterday for $1.50. That makes three total for me(one is modified to take lids off cans with 'big shoulders).
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

I've been known to make some mistakes and be confusing

Show me where on my site so I can correct that. Fiberglass cloth is needed.

Stove needs no primer pan or wick and contains it's own potstand.

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105

A couple of lines above the September 12th update.

Am I missing the instructions on the how to us the fiberglass cloth? I thought it was just a can and the metal mesh.

Images

Stove needs no primer pan or wick and contains it's own potstand.

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105

A couple of lines above the September 12th update.

Am I missing the instructions on the how to us the fiberglass cloth? I thought it was just a can and the metal mesh.
    Some stove makers use multiple wraps of 1/8 inch diameter wick material to wrap around the can. It is fiberglass wick used in the candle making kraft world. Some only use the primer pan like the one permanently attached to the burner used in the Caldera cone stove.

Thanks for finding that statement for me. I'll delete the words "or wick".

One length of fiberglass cloth is needed to go around the inside wall of the fancy feast can and should stick up above the rim by 1/8 inch. The more that sticks up, the hotter the stove will burn. The cloth can be spot glued with JB Weld, to the wall of the can and also the ss mesh to make sure it stays put. You wind up with a one piece stove that works great.

This past week I was on a family campout. While sitting inside the mesh covered dinning canopy(10X15). I was able to observe the ability of the mesh fabric to reduce the amount of air flow into the enclosure. There was a good deal of wind occuring off and on in the campground. Very little air movement occured within the screened enclosure. (not good for hot humid days) My mind wanderd, I found myself inside a "globe windscreen" experiencing the same thing, very little air movement, just enough to keep the stove going. I use a globe windscreen around my "Ring Of Fire" stove.

The globe ss mesh around the inside of the fancy feast can prevents air from pushing flames from under your pot that is sitting directly on the mesh. If you have purchased more than one replacement globe, use it as your windscreen.

Those of you that have made this stove try blowing it out. I can't blow mine out, I have to snuff it out if necessary.

Default help!

Ok...i got lucky...my kmart had 2 left....but I am tring to make it work and am kind of lost....Is the "can" 2.25 tall and 2.50" wide?? because the can I bought said 5 oz. or is that the measurements "with" the wire screen in it? also what is the best fuel to use?? I found the denatured al stuff for 14 a gallon at home depot....thanks...Garth

Quote Originally Posted by garth View Post
    Ok...i got lucky...my kmart had 2 left....but I am tring to make it work and am kind of lost....Is the "can" 2.25 tall and 2.50" wide?? because the can I bought said 5 oz. or is that the measurements "with" the wire screen in it? also what is the best fuel to use?? I found the denatured al stuff for 14 a gallon at home depot....thanks...Garth
    Garth,

The cans of food you want are the 3oz. fancy feast cat food tins.

I bought my last supply of alcohol by the gallon because it was the cheapest per ounce. You can also buy it by the quart. Of if you buy yellow HEET it comes in 12 ounce bottles.
    "Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Just left the local Academy Sports here. They had lots of the stainless steel screens for coleman lantern globes under the brand of Timber Creek.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Just left the local Academy Sports here. They had lots of the stainless steel screens for coleman lantern globes under the brand of Timber Creek.
    How much are they asking, SouthMark?

Zelph's gonna want to know for sure.
    Skids

Images

Sorry, I don't remember for sure. I think they were $4 and some change. I'll check again tomorrow maybe and let you know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    How much are they asking, SouthMark?

Zelph's gonna want to know for sure.
    Just left Academy Sports. They are going for $4.97.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Just left Academy Sports. They are going for $4.97.
    Thanks Southmark, it's good to know for comparison. The brand name was helpfull also.

Are you going to make one?

Images

I made two and I must say, they work great. Good design, perfect with my Heiny pot. I was never really hooked on stove building but every time I read about one of your new designs I just have to try it.

Images

Oh, also I bought one of the screens to make one of your wood stoves. Now to find the perfect grill for steaks on it!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++