WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Here is an interesting use of the type of this type of mesh:
    http://www.cobbq.com/

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Gotta make one of these....looks like a good flame and addresses my biggest problem with the SuperCat.....a longer burn time per ounce of fuel.

Found some EMF Mitigation Sheilding that I want to try in lieu of the SS mesh.

The sheilding is a sheet of aluminum a few mils thick with tiny holes punched through it like a sieve. Very thin and mallable and should work nicely.

Looks like this :

Wish me luck.

Images

That's the good stuff for tin-foil hats!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Yeah.....you can cook on it AND keep the aliens from invading your thought processes....

It's a win-win all around.....

Will let you know....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Found some EMF Mitigation Sheilding that I want to try in lieu of the SS mesh.

The sheilding is a sheet of aluminum a few mils thick with tiny holes punched through it like a sieve. Very thin and mallable and should work nicely.

Looks like this :

Wish me luck.
    Calling on Monkeyboy to give us an update on the use of mitigation sheilding aluminum for use in the Fancy Feast that boils 1 gallon of water with 3 ounces of fuel (one fill-up for all you non-believers )

off to kmart i go...

Images

Good News folks. I found a can that seems to be working well to enable the Fancee Feest stove to simmer. I know alot of you have made this type of stove and may want to be able to simmer with it. I'll try to make a movie of it simmering and how to do it on Monday. Finding a way to make the StarLyte simmer opened the door for this stove also. This method may work well on other stoves as well. Let us know it you find it to work your stove as well.

So I made one of these using aluminum flashing in place of the stainless screen. Seems to work great, had water boiling in my TI kettle in no time.

So my question is: How does using screen vs. flashing affect the performance and efficiency of this stove?

Haven't found any stainless steel mesh yet and the flashing was free, but if there is a substantial difference to be gained by using mesh then that is what I want.

Thanks Zelph for another great design!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenheart View Post
    So I made one of these using aluminum flashing in place of the stainless screen. Seems to work great, had water boiling in my TI kettle in no time.

So my question is: How does using screen vs. flashing affect the performance and efficiency of this stove?

Haven't found any stainless steel mesh yet and the flashing was free, but if there is a substantial difference to be gained by using mesh then that is what I want.

Thanks Zelph for another great design!!
    I have found no difference in the performance and efficiency when you use flashing, mesh or thin sheet stainless steel.

Use any flat sheet metal the thickness of flashing material. Have it so that it holds tight against the fiberglass cloth. I wrap 2 - 3 layers of the fiberglass cloth around the potstand and tape it in 3 places on the bottom so the tape holds it firm to the bottom edge of the potsupport. Once it is wrapped and taped I slowly compress it into the can. It fits tight so that it won't fall out and will slowly dispense the fuel to the air. It needs to be wound tight.

Glad you like the design, thank you.

Images

did i miss the instructions for said stove somewhere in this thread? it's the next on my list to try out

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Zelph,

Do you know your "Zelph's Stoveworks" link is gone.

BPL says no such page

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    did i miss the instructions for said stove somewhere in this thread? it's the next on my list to try out
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Zelph,

BPL says no such page
    It was moved. You can access the info here:

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105

and here:

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=619
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Thanks, Skids!!

Images

danke skids

Images

Hello,
    Just posting so I can find this thread again when I need it. The fancyfeast stove is a great stove and easy to make.
    sheepdog
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

is that just an open can with a wire mesh screen inserted into it? i know maybe that's a dumb question, cause that's what it looks like, but i couldn't tell from the description. also, what's the least amount of fuel it takes to boil 2 cups at room temp-ish?

thanks zelph
    JRiker
    Patience and Positivity will keep you alive!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/bighatcreations

disregard last post, just needed to read the thread further. awesome design zelph, can't wait to get off deployment and make it.
    JRiker
    Patience and Positivity will keep you alive!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/bighatcreations

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Zelph,

BPL says no such page
    Thank You for the Heads Up. I don't know what happened to it but I redid my signature block and it seems to be ok for now. It links directly to the "Stoveworks" which is a forum on the bulletin Board. It's a compilation of the stoves and things that I've designed over the years. It's a quick way to get to the "Do It Yourself Stuff"

There are alot of useful things there if you kind of read between the lines and use your imagination. I learn more when I re-read some of the threads I've submitted. There are ideas that come out during a discussion that are really good and go to the wayside because I got distracted and go off and make a stove that someone has suggested making. I'm easilly made to go off trail so to speak

I recently did some testing in cool, humid and low atmospheric pressure conditions. It takes up to 2 min longer to get a boil under such conditions. I have encountered this many time while testing new and old stoves. Most of my testing is done in my garage which is detached from my house and takes on the natural outside conditions. This is just a reminder to all stove makers and users.

The performance of the Fancee Feest will vary according to conditions as will all alcohol stoves.

I'm glad this design is working well for alot of you.

Thanks Skidsteer for help on the broken link. All it takes is one little glitch

Images

i scoured those links and this page for instructions on how to build it and i've yet to find them. so is this really just a fancie feast can w/ a stainless steel mesh pot support stuffed into it? is there any wick material inside the can? if so what exactly is the wicking material called and how is it put into the stove?

also, does the SS mesh replace the need for a windscreen?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++