WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Images

[QUOTE=zelph;752093

I don't push the sale of the Fancee Feest because it is labor intensive and I like to have time to play with designing other stoves.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The Fancee Feest and Starlyte are easy to make stoves and are user friendly. Glad to have been able to share them with all.
    so,,,, labor intensive,, but overall easy to make?? trying to decide if I really want to make one. nice looking stove for sure!! my extremely busy self is saying,, order one, order one!! lol.
    Last edited by Big Dawg; 01-19-2011 at 20:16. Reason: correction
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    still your favorite?

I don't know how I missed this thread in the past, but like this stove a lot. Considering making one. Per your site, it seems the middle pot-support part is no longer made w/ the lantern mesh. What's it made w/, and how is it made. I have always loved my supercat the most, but hate the 1 oz fuel limit. The fancy feest has the stats to become my fav! Might have to dust off my stove building skills/tools!
    I used a section cut out of an aluminum beer bottle. It fit perfectly.

Images

still your favorite?

I don't know how I missed this thread in the past, but like this stove a lot. Considering making one. Per your site, it seems the middle pot-support part is no longer made w/ the lantern mesh. What's it made w/, and how is it made. I have always loved my supercat the most, but hate the 1 oz fuel limit. The fancy feest has the stats to become my fav! Might have to dust off my stove building skills/tools!
    The lantern mesh became unaffordable so I had to bite the bullet and invest in a special order coil of 2" wide stainless steel material out of Chicago.

The 2" piece of stainless is roll formed and welded to retain it's shape.

Cat food has to be purchased and emptied and frozen for future use by my cat.

Cans are then washed and dried. Then the label and adhesive is removed with GooGone. They are wiped with alcohol and then washed and dried again.

Fiberglass cloth then needs to be cut to width and length. Thios process is frustrating at time to say the least. Loose strands can drive you crazy

Cloth is attached to steel pot support and then inserted into can.

Lustreking has found out that an aluminum budlite bottle has the right diameter for a pot support. Just cut it 2" high and you're all set. Aluminum will become soft when exposed to direct flame. Once you take your pot off the flames will directly touch the pot support. After many times of being softened/exposed to flame the stand will easily become distorted.

Making the stoves to be sold to others is different than making them for my own personal use. It is labor intensive because I don't want someone coming back saying that the stove fell apart of some other thing is wrong with it. I go to extra lengths to make them right.

There is a thread over at Hammock Forums that someone started that shows how to make this stove. It's probably the most attended thread there. "Paying" members only can view it since they made a change in policy over there.

Images

Thanks Zelph.... the detail you provided helped in my decision... I'll be ordering soon!!

So, is it still your favorite stove?
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

Thanks Zelph.... the detail you provided helped in my decision... I'll be ordering soon!!

So, is it still your favorite stove?
    I should never had said that in public.

Today my favorite is the Woodgaz stove. I've always said wood is my goto fuel. Right????
    I've been burning wood since I was knee high to a grasshopper

Images

Take a peek at what I've done with the Fancee Feest stove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_F568FlDY

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

Zelph, would flashing make a good center for this stove? The kind used to make wind screens.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jazilla View Post
    Zelph, would flashing make a good center for this stove? The kind used to make wind screens.

Yes, that stuff will work just fine. Put enough fuel in the stove to accomplish a boil and then let it go out. Taking the pot off while the fuel is still burning will put flames directly onto the aluminum which will really make it soften up and be easy to deform. A little flame won't be bad. Make one and you'll like it. Can always make another one while you're at it to have on hand just in case, never can have too many stoves

Hi everyone, I didnt realize the Fancee Feest once used mesh globes until I came across this thread. What a cool idea! I noticed some folks cant find these in their area and I have the same problem. I found some on Ebay but they were ridiculously expensive so I did a web search and found them here at a more reasonable price. Hope this helps.

Journal Entries
    Images

The lantern mesh became unaffordable so I had to bite the bullet and invest in a special order coil of 2" wide stainless steel material out of Chicago.

The 2" piece of stainless is roll formed and welded to retain it's shape.

Cat food has to be purchased and emptied and frozen for future use by my cat.

Cans are then washed and dried. Then the label and adhesive is removed with GooGone. They are wiped with alcohol and then washed and dried again.

Fiberglass cloth then needs to be cut to width and length. Thios process is frustrating at time to say the least. Loose strands can drive you crazy

Cloth is attached to steel pot support and then inserted into can.

Lustreking has found out that an aluminum budlite bottle has the right diameter for a pot support. Just cut it 2" high and you're all set. Aluminum will become soft when exposed to direct flame. Once you take your pot off the flames will directly touch the pot support. After many times of being softened/exposed to flame the stand will easily become distorted.

Making the stoves to be sold to others is different than making them for my own personal use. It is labor intensive because I don't want someone coming back saying that the stove fell apart of some other thing is wrong with it. I go to extra lengths to make them right.

There is a thread over at Hammock Forums that someone started that shows how to make this stove. It's probably the most attended thread there. "Paying" members only can view it since they made a change in policy over there.
    labor intensive and well other stoves rule ... so drop the line if it is not making money! there are better stoves in your line up!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I tried making a slightly different style of Fancy Feast stove today using a hole punch, like this:
    http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-...alcohol-stove/

While I did get it to boil water, I'm somewhat concerned about controlling the flame in the wilderness. I tested it in my driveway and it was mildly windy, which threw the flame all over. We put up a foil windscreen, which would try to fly off if we weren't careful. Is the model without the side-burning holes more efficient at keeping the flame controlled? Anyone have any alternate windscreen suggestions? I'm paranoid I'll start a forest fire with this thing.

Go to the section of the store where they sell disposable aluminum pans and buy a cookie sheet and cut it down to make a wind screen. Its a bit heavier material and more sturdy...cut a couple holes in the bottom to let air flow. Keep it held together with a giant paper clip.

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry if this has already been covered, as I didn't read this entire thread, but I have an obviously older style fancy feast stove which has been working very well. I noticed that on this one the insert looks textured or screen or something? Mine is simple piece of thin sheet metal with a piece of wick wrapped around. Could somebody tell me if this newer style is better/more efficient. Thanks.
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Transient Being View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered, as I didn't read this entire thread, but I have an obviously older style fancy feast stove which has been working very well. I noticed that on this one the insert looks textured or screen or something? Mine is simple piece of thin sheet metal with a piece of wick wrapped around. Could somebody tell me if this newer style is better/more efficient. Thanks.

The mesh was a lantern globe material. It actually predates the model you currently have. Zelph used the mesh in his original fancee feest but when it became hard to find, he switched to the SS. I was a starlyte user for a long time (I still have and use my original). I tried the FF and have never looked back. I still like the starlyte though. The original starlyte with the fiberglass top (not the new one with the SS mesh) is amazing in subzero.

Images

Hey RUSSB, hope all is well You are probably one of the original owners of a FF so this question goes out to you. Is the bottom inside of the stove still have the white coating?

Your original StarLyte without the stainless mesh is the bestess ever in extreme cold weather.
    Last edited by zelph; 10-27-2013 at 15:52. Reason: added bestess ever :-)

Hey RUSSB, hope all is well You are probably one of the original owners of a FF so this question goes out to you. Is the bottom inside of the stove still have the white coating?

Your original StarLyte without the stainless mesh is the bestess ever in extreme cold weather.

Just looked. Still white. The remnants of the scotch tape is still there too. This even after 100's of uses. The inside is never burning though; only the wick.

The FF works so well in the extreme cold, I haven't had a need to use the starlyte. I think this winter, she might get some use though. I still remember the first time I tried to film it being used in subzero for your "mythbusters" thread and it was too cold for my camera to take a video!

Journal Entries

zelph - what cup do you recommend for your stove?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    zelph - what cup do you recommend for your stove?
    Anything with a diameter of 5" down to 3"

russb, thanks for the update on the stove. That coating is super resistant to our fuels, good to know. Because the alcohol is right there at the top of the wick makes it so easy for lighting. Maximum user friendly!!!!

Images

Default Fancee Feest and Shug

Shug recently broke the record for cold weather hammock hanging for the guys and girls over at hammockforums.com.

Watch for the Fancee Feest stove he uses in such extreme cold temps. Alcohol stoves can be dependable in cold weather. Listen/watch for a good tip that he gives on fuel.

He sure does have rosey cheeks

Images

Cold temps to warm summer temps. shugemery likes the Fancee Feest.

the fancee feast came to life right here in this thread. One of Americas favorite DIY stoves.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++