WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Images

The Fancee Feest is an easy DIY stove with integrated pot support. So many have made them and really like them.

sometimes I get some feedback:

Zelph Stoves <[email protected]>

5:35 PM (15 hours ago)

Hello. I know you're busy, but I just wanted you to know that I received my Fancee Feest stove today and made several boils with it using various pots. It is far and away above all other designs I have ever used. I had just about given up on alcohol stoves, however, after using the FF, I feel it will be my "go to" stove from here forward. Best alcohol stove I've ever used with no equal.. mark

The fancee feest stove is a darn good foolproof and easy stove to build. A no brainer stove to keep in your collection as a "stove that just works", great for water boiling (I haven't tried a simmer ring).

Zelph's added starting wick is a good bonus. From what I gather Zelph is now using a heavier duty inner cylinder which would address my only complaint about his stove (I built a tomato paste can/carbon felt variant).

I suspect those who want to play around looking for "the ultimate" efficient stove should still look at a capillary hoop burner design (its not a stove). Unfortunately a CHS stove system requires a pot stand, tons of fiddling and multiple trial builds with specialized tools to get something that's going to be pickier about which pots you use with it. Stove fiddling is a still a very cheap hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    The fancee feest stove is a darn good foolproof and easy stove to build. A no brainer stove to keep in your collection as a "stove that just works", great for water boiling (I haven't tried a simmer ring).

Zelph's added starting wick is a good bonus. From what I gather Zelph is now using a heavier duty inner cylinder which would address my only complaint about his stove (I built a tomato paste can/carbon felt variant).

I suspect those who want to play around looking for "the ultimate" efficient stove should still look at a capillary hoop burner design (its not a stove). Unfortunately a CHS stove system requires a pot stand, tons of fiddling and multiple trial builds with specialized tools to get something that's going to be pickier about which pots you use with it. Stove fiddling is a still a very cheap hobby.
    Your assessment of the CHS is mostly correct. It is a burner. It does require some sort of pot stand (a cone can be the stand). It is harder to build. It requires one specialty tool (a tiny drill bit). However, it is more versatile when it comes to pot selection (as is the case with all center burners). Side burners are more limited in pot selection. It is just a matter of priorities and preferences (ease of construction on one extreme, efficiency on the other, and an innumerable amount of priorities and preferences in between). The Fancyfeast stove is a great choice given the priorities and preferences of those that pick it. There are many users that attest to that fact.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post

BB and I both use the CHS and both use an integrated pot stand/wind screen so there are no extra pieces. And while many see the need for a pot stand as a negative, I switched from a cat food can because integrated pot stands are very narrow and I spilled a couple of meals. But if you are not a clutz like me, then that may not matter to you.

Images

A nice thing about the Fancee Feest is it can be made to simmer.

There is a nice easy DIY Cone style pot support thread in this forum. I'll try and bump it up for everyone.

The Fancee Feest stove works well confined in the Cone style pot support/windscreen.

Here is a good video for a basic design. I am not sure if this was part of the thread mentioned above. It is a fairly easy way to make a cone. I prefer more complex and difficult. I prefer a two piece interlocking design that can be stored in my grease pot.

One thing to note that is not covered in the video. A 4 to 1 exhaust to intake ratio is about right. Many cone builders err in that regard. If you starve the exhaust and feed the intake, the flame will seek the intake. This imbalance causes much of the heat discoloration seen in so many cone setups. Be sure to include any cutout for the handle in those calculations. A large cutout creates an imbalance of airflow. Such things only matter to OCD nut jobs.... like me. Normal people say 'close enough'.

But ya', ... good tutorial here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerP7-aiEBw
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 11-23-2015 at 12:42.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Yes, that was a good video.

This is the thread that gives a lot of info on making a cone for a K-Mart Grease Pot:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...se+pot+support

quick question after several uses I noticed a black buildup on the wick and it seems to have some impact on lighting the wick. Once it gets going it works like a champ, just curious if this is normal build up. I use the yellow heat, but wondering if I got a bad batch.

I prefer the tomato can, carbon felt variant. They both work well but the fiber glass wick on mine got gunked up over time. Maybe it was the glue I used to secure it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matjbrown View Post
    quick question after several uses I noticed a black buildup on the wick and it seems to have some impact on lighting the wick. Once it gets going it works like a champ, just curious if this is normal build up. I use the yellow heat, but wondering if I got a bad batch.
    What material did you use as the wick. If carbon felt was used that may be the cause of your problem lighting it. Over time, the surface carbon felt will will clog, melt, deteriorate when the stove is left to burn it's self completely out of fuel. That is why Minibulldesign sells replacement wicks for his carbon felt stoves.

I purchased it from your site but it doesn't look like carbon felt although the way you describe it that seems like what is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matjbrown View Post
    I purchased it from your site but it doesn't look like carbon felt although the way you describe it that seems like what is happening?

Return it to me, I'll evaluate it and send you a replacement, no charge.

I appreciate the offer. I have always had a fantastic experience dealing with you, but I don't want a freebie. I was just curious if there was a trick I didn't know. I am going to play with it some more. Maybe a good long burn will help clear it off. Once it's lit it burns fine.
    Thanks again.

I think I figured it out. I was using the carbon felt for a windscreen and it just close enough to gunk up the wick. I ran four ounces through the stove last night and it's starting to clear off. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I prefer the tomato can, carbon felt variant. They both work well but the fiber glass wick on mine got gunked up over time. Maybe it was the glue I used to secure it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Are there any YouTube videos available for making this version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

OldGringo, have you made the Fancey Feast can version?

Not sure about other videos but we know for sure the info in this thread is complete for the making of a proven winner DIY stove.

Just ask "Shug"

Hi zelph, thanks for replying. Yes, I've made 3 of the standard fancy feast and love them. I've heard of folks using a tomato paste can and carbon felt but I've never tried to make one like that myself.

I just wanted to pass on my thanks to you for all the help you've provided the community.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    Hi zelph, thanks for replying. Yes, I've made 3 of the standard fancy feast and love them. I've heard of folks using a tomato paste can and carbon felt but I've never tried to make one like that myself.

I just wanted to pass on my thanks to you for all the help you've provided the community.

It's been my pleasure to share ideas and methods.

I've designed more stoves but have not had the time to post them. My wife and I have gone south for the winter like the snow birds. We are campground hosting at DeWayne Hayes campground in Mississippi. Meeting the most enjoyable folks down here. Weather is unseasonably warm to my liking Home for me is snowy, cold, Northern Illinois. We'll return there in the spring.

One piece stoves are our goal. Attain a boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel under ideal conditions and then go from there. Good past time for the winter months

Hello. I searched this and found nothing so am asking here. Is there a steel can in a grocery story product the same size as the Fancy Feast? Thanks for any help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    Hello. I searched this and found nothing so am asking here. Is there a steel can in a grocery story product the same size as the Fancy Feast? Thanks for any help with this.
    So, if your willing to use carbon felt instead of fiberglass cloth in your build, you can use a tomato paste steel can for the pot stand portion.

http://youtu.be/2tg12QnFS6w

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++