WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Not sure how old my fanceefeest is, but it is still going strong. The original fiberglass wick shows no signs of wear. Still functions as though it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Will this fancee feest stove work with the olicamp xts pot?

A bit late to answer this, but....

The Fancy Feast works with the XTS, but you can smell unburnt fuel until the pot heats up. I think the fins are a bit too efficient in scavenging heat! The fix is to build a FF stove with the pot stand about an inch taller than normal. Boil time is a little better too. But for the XTS, Zelph's Starlyte absolutely rocks. Both are awesome stoves for real world conditions.

Images

The Fancee Feest came into existence in this thread. Read all about it and decide if you would like to try your hand at making one or two. It's the most popular DIY stove made in the USA.

I just made two of them yesterday. They work great. It will be my new goto stove for sure.

Images

That's great, enjoy the light weight and one piece aspect of them.

Images

During the holiday season make a few of these easy DIY stoves :-)

Images

Easy DIY stove to make when not hiking the trails of the Appalachians.

Dry Baking With Shug

Images

All time favorite Do It Yourself Stove

Images

During the winter months, try making a fancee feest

I remember making the original and sourcing the materials for it way back when. Just came around to redoing my stove system after several moves and a number of years away. I start doing my research again. Started with my UL option a Super Cat. Funny a Super Cat isnt what I remember I mean I remember the holes being punched around the can with a hole punch and how easy it was to make but i thought that was just a Cat Stove. I thought a Super Cat was when you did the same thing with a Vienna Sausage Can. or maybe that was a Winter Cat...Been a long time.

By the Way about the Winter Cat or using a Vienna Sausage can dont do it or at least dont do it with a heavy pot. I used one of those to boil like a gallon of water and it burned for a long time. Well upon repeating the exact same test the can became brittle from the first burn. a few minutes into the second burn the can colapsed under the pot and I was lucky I was outside cause flaming alcohol went everywhere. Just saying. Maybe not an issue with lighter pots or shorter burn times. But back then the purpose of the larger can was for a longer burn so....

I remember the original and how well it worked with the Heinie Pot. Sadly I my Heinie Pot is MIA after all the moving around and Now I find they are on the Extremely Endangered Species List. I loved that Pot. I don't find the same beauty in the new bear can pots and ended up shelling out some coin for a Vargo 750 that has survived some how along the way. Even though its a brick compared to the Heinie Pot.

Low and behold after perusing the interwebs I come upon a new version of the Fancee Feast Stove on Hiram's Youtube Page. Interesting I thought and I had dejavou knowing where have I seen that before something so familiar but oddly not the same.

It's been a long time...I remember when Carbon Felt was the Secret Sauce!

Now I'm finding a few things that just seem to register with me the stuff just seems to click.

If your doing DIY alcohol stoves a Super Cat well I dont think you can go any lighter than that. But, good luck when its cold out.

For All around still number one even if the design has changed Fancee Feast is the winner. Super Easy to make.

Now for the click part that just seems to be happening. I could not for the wonder of me figure out why people use canister stoves. Like why are these people spending all that money to lug those heavy burdensome beasts with them to use limited availability fuel at outrageous prices. The Damn Government that's why. Seems they are the lightest option to use during a fire ban. Although I have a Fancee Feast in my current cook kit I have a stupid cannister stove in my Amazon Cart. One of those BRS things and Now I find Walmart doesnt commonly carry the smaller fuel cannisters so in order to get everything to fit in my cook kit neat an tidy I need to buy a new pot too. Mo Fos. lol

I still think the best kit that brought me the best smiles was that old Heinie Pot, that lil Heinie Heater Fancee Feast Stove original, tucked away in one of SkidSteer's Ziploc Container Coffee Kits. Heck I dont even drink coffee and that set up is Awesome!

Glad to see I came full circle and found my way back to what makes me happy and glad to find yall still here Rock'n It!
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Images

If your doing DIY alcohol stoves a Super Cat well I dont think you can go any lighter than that. But, good luck when its cold out.
    I found that the SuperCat would stick to the bottom of my pot when I lifted it off once the water started to boil. When it released from the pot it had a small amound of alcohol left in it and would ignite on the way down to the ground....kind of scarry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I found that the SuperCat would stick to the bottom of my pot when I lifted it off once the water started to boil. When it released from the pot it had a small amound of alcohol left in it and would ignite on the way down to the ground....kind of scarry
    I'm not saying this can't happen, but the Super Cat worked pretty well with a friend who used it as a backup to a wood stove. Yes one has to be careful with open fuel, and why I do like your starlyte stove over the supercat. But the SC has some good points to it in terms of ease of making and lightweight.

Images

with the SC, Just pour in enough fuel to to heat water to 180 degrees and let the flames go out. The SuperCat container was my inspiration for the Fancee Feest stove. Fancee Feest will hold 2.5 ounces of fuel. I have boiled 1 gal. of water using 3 ounces in it but don't recommend using that much fuel for safety reasons ;-)

Images

Need a project to keep you busy while at home in the garage/basement. Make a Fancee Feest

Read pure_mahem's comment a few post up. He and I go way back here on Whiteblaze.

Hey there I just made my own fancee feest. First test with one oz heet got 2 cups of water to boil on 5:52 and total burn time of 8:27.
    20200619_233702.jpg
    20200619_233004.jpg
    I used a section of 2 inch stainless food product pipe that I got from the job site I'm currently working on. Seems pretty stable might be to narrow though because it took a lot of fiberglass cloth to get a tight fit had to like quadruple it to get it to build up enough. I think I'll call it ugly cat lol

Images

Interesting materials used. The more you make, the better they look. Your boil time is good. I like the pot. I have been intrigued by the shape of it.
    I created a windscreen for the pot that supports it. I was able to boil 3 cups of water with one 14 gram esbit.

Welcom to Whiteblaze

Thanks zelph the pot is a Stanley adventure set pot I did take a razor knife and trim the fiberglass cloth so it's not all fuzzy. The pipe is kind of heavy I haven't weighed it yet.

Zelph,I'm thinking about wrapping some wicking around your Fancee Feast stove for cold weather use.Good idea or not?
    Thanks.I'm also a huge fan of the Starlyte stove because it is fool proof and surely the safest alcohol stove out there.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++