WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I had seen that before on WB. Although I can just see Moxie and you laughing wicked hard about verses 12-14, I believe the two of you would have almost soiled youselves if you'd also read the previous two verses which I don't dare post here in english!
    23:10. Si fuerit inter vos homo qui nocturno pollutus sit somnio egredietur extra castra
    23:11. Et non revertetur priusquam ad vesperam lavetur aqua et post solis occasum regredietur in castra
    We liked that one too, although we could never decide to what "soiling oneself in the night" referred, as that was what it said in my version of the Bible. Some times I liked to stay a day behind Moxie so I could read his register entries. They were priceless. For those who have enjoyed him on Whiteblaze, well, they were better than his posts here. If you can believe that.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Sure sorry to hear that. Prayers to his family, and may they know how much he touched the lives of others.

Journal Entries

Moxie was a giver, not a taker throughout his life. He served his town for 18 years as a Selectman (essentially an elected lowly paid town manager), was a member of his town's planning board and twice ran for the Maine Legislature (annual salary about $8,000 for six months of sessions and countless hours of committee meetings and strategy meetings in between sessions.)

His last race was successful, thanks to riding a red motor scooter door to door and knocking on 3,000 of them.

And of course he was a founding director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, devoting hundreds of hours providing buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine.

I invite those who have praised Moxie so eloquently, to also emulate his life of giving. The wildness of the Maine trail he loved remains threatened. The land is mostly owned by investors. It's all for sale. The question that remains is who will be the buyers, trail lovers, or condo developers.

You can help make that decision, as Deane did so skillfully with our purchase of Abraham and some of the critical slopes of Saddleback. Just open www.matlt.org

Weary, President, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Journal Entries

Moxie was a giver, not a taker throughout his life. He served his town for 18 years as a Selectman (essentially an elected lowly paid part time board of town managers), was a member of his town's planning board and twice ran for the Maine Legislature (annual salary about $8,000 for six months of sessions and countless hours of committee meetings and strategy meetings between sessions.)

His last race was successful, thanks to riding a red motor scooter door to door and knocking on 3,000 of them.

And of course he was a founding director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, devoting hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars providing buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine.

I invite those who have praised Moxie so eloquently, to also emulate his life of giving. The wildness of the Maine trail he loved remains threatened. The land is mostly owned by investors. It's all for sale. The question that remains is who will be the buyers, trail lovers, or condo developers.

You can help make that decision, as Deane did so skillfully with our purchase of Abraham and some of the critical slopes of Saddleback. Just open www.matlt.org

Weary, President, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Images

There is a path no simple highway somewhere between the dawn and the dark of night and if you go no one may follow for it is for your foot steps alone
    Rest in peace. all of us will see you down the trail one day

Hillbilly

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Moxie, an active White Blaze participant, a 2000 thru hiker, a member of the Maine Legislature and a director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust died over the weekend from complications from the treatment of lung cancer.

Moxie's (AKA Deane Jones) was elected to the Maine Legislature in June after having been defeated by a narrow margin last fall -- after the Republican winner had died in a ski accident.

Deane's death is a tremendous loss to White Blaze, the State of Maine and the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org
    I'm not sure, but I do think I met him one time. My condolences to his family and my apology for not checking to see if someone had alreday posted something about his death before I posted today.

Images

He knew my parents and older sisters. We were supposed to meet at last year's Whiteblaze Feed in Caratunk. I never got to meet him.

Godspeed Moxie

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

The hiking community and the people of the State of maine have lost a great person, I send my best wishes to his family as they work through this difficult time.

Kirby

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    There is a path no simple highway somewhere between the dawn and the dark of night and if you go no one may follow for it is for your foot steps alone. ...
    A powerful thought, Hillbilly.

But one of the trails Moxie followed was the AT in Maine, which he supported as a maintainer, and as a founding director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. We can follow him at least partway by helping to support the trail he loved, which is under increasing threat.

Weary, www.matlt.org

Images

Many Prayers to his family and Thanks for all his service
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

I've been out hiking and off WhiteBlaze for about a month so I just read this today. I'm saddened for Moxie's family. I always enjoyed his posts. May he rest in peace.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++