WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Leaving Tomorrow!

Hey gang. I leave for my hike tomorrow (Nov. 6). Yippeeeeeeee!!!!!

I've gotten a lot of good advice on this forum and it has helped me wile away many many boring hours at work as I waited for this day. I've chatted with yall. Argued with yall. And I've enjoyed every minute of both.

Thanks for a great forum. See yall in 8-9 months!!!!

-dion
    http://www.dionalaniz.com/at

p.s. anyone have a suggestion for a nice chest pack to hold everything i'll need throughout the day of hiking? (e.g. camera, compass, maps, lunch food, etc.) I know, I know - i waited till the last second for this one. Bad dion.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good luck. Keep in touch when you have internet acces and let us know how you are doing.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Enjoy! Your email has ruined my morning, though. I really realized how far away next summer still is.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Dion: Dana Designs sells something they call a "Rib" that comes in a "Wet" and "Dry" version. Both versions attach to your pack's shoulder straps below the pads and include a zippered pocket that I use for the trail map, guidebook pages, disposable camera and snacks. The Wet Rib also has a pouch for a 20 oz. sports water bottle that is useful if you don't use a bladder. The Ribs snap across your waist/tummy just above the hip belt (so with the hipbelt, Rib and sternum strap you end up looking a little like you're into light bondage, but it actually works pretty well). The Wet Rib weighs in at 6 oz. The Ribs should work with any standard pack strap setup (I bought it for my Dana Designs Terraplane but just used it with my new Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Check out OR's Possum Pockets, they can clip on your hipbelt...

http://www.orgear.com/products/backp...rs_straps.html
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

Default Strap Pouches

Jansport sells several different strap pounches. They are available at Academy Sport if you are still in Texas. I used one large and one small one two long trips and they worked find. I carried camera, compas, SMALL field glasses, folded map sections, etc. They ride up at your chest and stay out of the way.

Good luck, enjoy and be safe out there.

Thanks Kerosene. I just went out and bought the Dana Designs Wet Rib you mentioned. Works perfect. Camera, maps, compass, and snacks all within easy reach.

If i just stand in my living room with my pack on do you think that will make the few remaining hours go by more quickly?

:-)

Images

Now you just ruined my afternoon! Only 7 months and 4 days to go. Sigh.

Images

Default what?

What did i miss? Where is he going? AT thru-hike???
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Hey A-Train. I'm hiking Flagg Mountain Alabama to Forillon park on the coast of Quebec. I leave to drive to the trailhead in 5.5 hours! Fortunately, my parents will be at the wheel so i can sleep. :-)

I laid down to go to bed, but i just can't seem to sleep. Man - this is so exciting!!!! it was so cool looking one last time at all of my maildrops neatly lined up.

Wait! Did i remember olive oil in Damascus!!!!! Yes, i remembered the olive oil (a great whiteblaze tip). Several more "ohmigosh!!! did i forget X or Y or even Z???!!!" moments followed.

OK. Gonna try to go back to bed again.

Registered Troll
    Images

I envy you Diodude. Especially since you'll be in the Southern Appalachians at the best time of year -- winter. Those mountains in snow are absolutely awesome.

Originally posted by dionalaniz
    Hey A-Train. I'm hiking Flagg Mountain Alabama to Forillon park on the coast of Quebec. I leave to drive to the trailhead in 5.5 hours! Fortunately, my parents will be at the wheel so i can sleep. :-)

I laid down to go to bed, but i just can't seem to sleep. Man - this is so exciting!!!! it was so cool looking one last time at all of my maildrops neatly lined up.

Wait! Did i remember olive oil in Damascus!!!!! Yes, i remembered the olive oil (a great whiteblaze tip). Several more "ohmigosh!!! did i forget X or Y or even Z???!!!" moments followed.

OK. Gonna try to go back to bed again.
    Good luck, this will be quite the accomplishment..

Default Routing?

So, fill us in a little bit. What's at Flagg Mountain? What trail systems are you following? What's at Forillon Park?

Images

Flagg Mountain is the southern end of the Appalachian mountains. Forillon is the northern end on the continent. The mountains go under the ocean and come up again in Newfoundland, though. The IAT goes from Katahdin to Gaspe (the end).

++ New Posts ++