WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Go-lite Quest - Vs - Six Moon Designs Starlight....help!

Well after my very first AT in the Spring. I was supposed to do a 60 mile section but had to stop at 40 mile (Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap). I had torn both my medial and lateral meniscus on a decline.
    Needless to say I have to go lightweight for now on. I have picked out my tent, a Lunar Duo from SMD. Now I'm trying to choose a pack and I am completely torn between the Golite (L) Quest and the SMD Starlight.
    I looked at reviews and input on both packs but the only up to date info I can find is on the Quest. The Starlight info is dated to 2004.
    I would appreciate any RECENT input on both of these packs to help me out on making my decision. Thank you for any input.

Images

Hi, Gadgeteer,

I have the SMD Starlight. I've used it for three years now, in all seasons. It's my favorite pack of all I've tried (that would be, um, a lot of packs ).

Plenty of room in the main bag, the three pockets outside are great for organizing gear (four pockets in the current model), and the pad pocket works well. I use the two stays, and it easily carries 30-35 pounds, though I usually keep it below 30. It can easily carry my winter gear.

I see Ron has tweaked current model a bit, so I can't comment on the new shoulder harness assembly. Overall, though, it's been a reliable and durable pack.

Oh, I did swap out my hip belt for one from a ULA pack. At the time, only the ULA belt had pockets, plus it was a little stiffer.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks FD but those replies are about the older versions from 2002-2004 Starlights. Ron has updated and supposedly made the pack even better.

Bigcranky..thank you! You too have a later model. Was there a reason you swapped the hip belts? Actually I think I can answer my own question...was it because the early Starlight didn't have the storage pockets? It does now and I think this is one of the updates. I guess from the input from the older packs is that eveyone likes this pack alot and this pack can only get better with its updates...most of the time this is true..hehe.

Anyone else, input is greatly is appreciated.

Images

Yes, I have the 2005 model. It was my surprise Christmas gift in 2004. I swapped out the hip belt both for the pockets and for the extra stiffness and padding of the ULA belt. (I bought the ULA belt for $25 at Mt Rogers Outfitters.) I haven't seen the new belt in person and so can't comment.

I'd buy another one in a New York minute.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yes, I have the 2005 model. It was my surprise Christmas gift in 2004. I swapped out the hip belt both for the pockets and for the extra stiffness and padding of the ULA belt. (I bought the ULA belt for $25 at Mt Rogers Outfitters.) I haven't seen the new belt in person and so can't comment.

I'd buy another one in a New York minute.
    Stiffness and padding huh...hmmm. I'm gonna have to look into this to see if that has been improved. Thanks again bigcranky.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    Stiffness and padding huh...hmmm. I'm gonna have to look into this to see if that has been improved. Thanks again bigcranky.

Realize that most SMD users are quite happy with the original hip belt.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm excited because the Starlite is almost in stock....I've been waiting for months and months. It always says it will be in stock "Mid Septembert". With a t. Does anyone know whether a Wal-Mart CCF pad cut down in length a bit would fit inside the pack for extra support (I plan to order the stays)?

Quote Originally Posted by Miu View Post
    (I plan to order the stays)?
    In reading reviews I see that getting the stays is a definite.

I must second all of the favourable comments on the Starlite - a fine, comfortable pack. I retrofitted mine with the new pocketed hipbelts (from Six Moon Designs), and this rectified the only deficiency from my point of view. I had been accustomed to hipbelt pockets on my ULA P2 and missed them a great deal in the Starlite.

To address a couple of questions: yes, any foam pad can certainly be cut to fit the pad pocket for comfort and support. For me the essential point is sleeping comfort. Accordingly I use a 3/4 length Prolite 3, which works nicely as both pack padding and as a mattress. Others are happy with foam pads - it's up to you.

For the additional few ounces, I do recommend the optional stays. If you are down sizing from a more traditional weight of backpack you will certainly not notice the weight of the stays, and the carrying capacity (in terms of comfort and stability) will surely be improved. The pack can carry very well without stays, but in my opinion does better with. You can always remove them if you wish.

Cheers,

PKH
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Here's my post from an earlier thread (9-5-07):
    "I've backpacked all summer with the Six Moon Designs Starlite, without the stays, carrying a max of 25 lbs. It's very comfortable, I love the outside mesh pockets for quick access items, and it has lots of room in the sack. The hipbelts have zippered pockets and the pack w/o the stays weighs I believe 28 oz. Last week I stayed at a shelter with an AT NOBO carrying this same pack and she said it has been very durable in her hike from Georgia up to Vermont."

My 1st lightweight backpack was a GoLite Breeze (no hipbelts, couldn't handle above 20lbs. comfortably), then a Gregory Z (no real complaints but it was the older edition and the fabric and mesh were not durable enough for Vermont trails plus I wanted to go a bit lighter), and now I'm using the Starlite (happlily).

Quote Originally Posted by PKH View Post
    To address a couple of questions: yes, any foam pad can certainly be cut to fit the pad pocket for comfort and support. For me the essential point is sleeping comfort. Accordingly I use a 3/4 length Prolite 3, which works nicely as both pack padding and as a mattress. Others are happy with foam pads - it's up to you.

PKH
    Well, the pad itself is kind of a back-up just in case for some horrible unforeseen reason I have to sleep in a shelter. Hammocking is the way to go...haven't you heard?

Images

Default SMD Starlight

Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    ....snip... Now I'm trying to choose a pack and I am completely torn between the Golite (L) Quest and the SMD Starlight.
    I looked at reviews and input on both packs but the only up to date info I can find is on the Quest. The Starlight info is dated to 2004.
    I would appreciate any RECENT input on both of these packs to help me out on making my decision. Thank you for any input.
    Hey GADGETEER,
    I bought a 2007 SMD Starlight this spring... I used it for a ~300 mile AT section in April/May. I would have to say that the Starlight was one of my favorite gear items on the trip. I got it with all options (hipbelt pockets and stays). Never had a minute of problems or discomfort. Started in Springer with 33 pounds (way too much food) and from the first step it was fine. I used a Gossamer Gear Nightlight pad cut in 3 sections for the pocket. (stick-on velcro to 're-assemble' pad for sleeping). The pack looks like it will wear nicely as it still looks new... doodah-man

++ New Posts ++