WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chemical treatment question...

are there any chemical treatments for water that dont require a considerable wait in order for you to drink the water?

with a case of blind faith
    Images

probably none that i would want to be in the vicinity of......

but i would be interested in the true answer, as well, if the process was safe.

It depends upon what you consider "considerable". None are five minutes or less.

Images

Depends on what you consider considerable. 30 minutes is about standard for all I have seen.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

This is what I use:
    Katadyn Extream
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Images

house hold bleach takes 30 minutes to act.

What about Aqua Mira? I usually combine the two chemicals add them to the water wait about 5-10 minutes to see and make sure the water clears up if need be and drink! No problems....sooo far!!

Images

All chemical treatment methods require contact time to work. No chemical method of disinfection is instantaneous unless you use hazardous concentrations of the disinfecting chemical, which would of course render the water non-potable. The time required depends on the concentration of the chemical, the target organism, turbidity and temperature of the water, among other parameters.

Short version: read, understand and follow the instructions on the labeling on the chemicals you use.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Short version: read, understand and follow the instructions on the labeling on the chemicals you use.
    But what should guys do, 2?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Learn to read.

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    All chemical treatment methods require contact time to work. No chemical method of disinfection is instantaneous unless you use hazardous concentrations of the disinfecting chemical, which would of course render the water non-potable. The time required depends on the concentration of the chemical, the target organism, turbidity and temperature of the water, among other parameters.

I love it when you talk all scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    are there any chemical treatments for water that dont require a considerable wait in order for you to drink the water?
    Short answer - yes for bacteria and no for everything else.

Giardia and crpto take along time to kill. Bleach does a great job on bacteria in just a few minutes ( 1 -5 ) but takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours to kill giardia depending on the temperature, ph, cloudyness of the water. It won't kill crypto and it is not reliable for giardia. Iodine is even worse. The chlorine dioxide products work faster and more reliably for giardia but still take at least 30 minutes and 4 hours for crypto. They will kill bacteria within a few minutes.

Images

Actually, bleach isn't so hot for several reasons, the primary reason being that the concentration of the available chlorine starts declining as soon as the bottle is opened. Given that a hiker would start with a fairly small bottle and probably open it at least once a day the concentration of chlorine in that small container will drop fairly rapidly, rendering the "disinfection" offered by household bleach more an article of faith than science.

If you're going to use household bleach EPA has a web page that offers some information. Basically, everything I've ever seen on the subject of using household bleach to disinfect drinking water leads me to believe bleach is a field expedient method that should only be used when there ain't nothing else, as in a disaster setting, and certainly not for routine use.

If anyone's going to insist on using bleach, well just help yourself, but please note that EPA and FEMA both specify non-scented bleach. The reason for that should be readily apparent, and if not . . . well, everyone's gotta learn somehow, I guess.

Sgt Rock, it seems you had some references to military pubs on the issue. Got a link handy by any chance?

Really, one of the best articles I've ever seen on the subject of water treatment for hikers and the actual threat posed by contamination is posted right here on WhiteBlaze. A bit technical here and there, but I think the author does a great job bringing good common sense to bear on the subject.

I allowed about 15 minutes with Aqua Mira.. did not get sick...

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    It depends upon what you consider "considerable". None are five minutes or less.
    i guess i could have clarified that originally. i am thinking thirty minutes or more as a considerable wait.

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    This is what I use:
    Katadyn Extream
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
    my friends used that on our last hike. very convienent, only problem i remember is it can be a lot of sqeezing...

I have one but now use a Katadyn Hiker Pro. It did give me a good pump in my forearms though.

my friends used that on our last hike. very convienent, only problem i remember is it can be a lot of sqeezing...
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

If you want an alternate for a filter, but without the wait for chemicals to work, consider the Steri-pen.

The Steripen is an excellent alternative as long as the water is relatively clear. There is no wait time at all.

I carry the Steripen on my belt and can treat water on the fly, without even having to take off my pack.

Images

i prefer aqua mira neo

http://giardiaclub.com/aqua-mira.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++