WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Books!!!

Images

My favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll restate.

As Far as the Eye Can See
    10 million steps
    Walking on the Happy Side of Misery

Does anyone know of any good recent hiking-related books? The most recent I've read was Skywalker (2007).

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Does anyone know of any good recent hiking-related books? The most recent I've read was Skywalker (2007).
    Is Skywalker any good? I hiked with him for a short while on the PCT last year and I've been meaning to check out his AT book.

Check this out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58070

The author will be selling her book at Trail Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Is Skywalker any good? I hiked with him for a short while on the PCT last year and I've been meaning to check out his AT book.
    I think Skywalker's book is in the same league as AWOL's. Both are excellent.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking the Appalachian Trail Vol 1&2

I hope the volumes I purchased off ebay don't disappoint.

I'm told there are some valuable stories to be heard.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

They won't, I promise. I just finished them a couple of months back, and I'm already searching out sections I remember to reread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    The Ordinary Adventure by Jan Leitschuh (LiteShoe)
    It's a very good hiking book and the author is a whitblaze regular. It's available here http://www.funfreedom.com/

Not at all trying to be a smart alcik, but the title is "The Ordinary Adventurer" by Jan Leitschuh. Couldn't locate the above name, so wanted other to be able to fine it easier. Thanks for the tip, I'm ordering it.

Images

The Last Season
    A vagabond for beauty
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Bill Walker

Default Eric Ryback's Pacific Crest Trail book

Eric Ryback's account of attempting to hike the PCT southbound in 1970 is a classic. Yes, he may have skipped some sections of the desert. But his vivid description of the snow he faced in the northern Cascades and having to navigate the trail on a daily basis was classic. And he was only eighteen. Wow

Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I too enjoyed Eric Ryback's account of his PCT hike. I will concede some of it seems to be the result of "poetic license" or possibly pure exageration.

If you have any interest in young people and bicycling, check out "Hey Mom, Can I Ride My Bike Across America?" by John Seigel Boettner. It's the account of husband and wife teachers who lead a group of 5 young teens on a self-supported bicycle trip across the country. Reminicent of Peter Jenkin's "Walk Across America" and "The Walk West" (also recommended) this book spends considerable time recounting the interactions the group had with the folks they met along the way.

Also recommend "Ten Million Steps" by M. J. Eberhart (Nimblewill Nomad)

Bill Walker

Default Skywalker books

I think Skywalker's book is in the same league as AWOL's. Both are excellent.
    Just remember--my books are often about what NOT to do out there. But that's important too. Right?

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
    --Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Bill Walker

Default Bill Bryson

Quote Originally Posted by satchownz View Post
    As mentioned by a couple peeps, Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" is fantastic. I have it on audio book and I swear my play count for the entire thing is like 15, and it's five hours long. I swear I laugh out loud at parts.

Bill Bryson, A walk in the woods = A+

I wholeheartedly agree. It's debatable just how good of a guy Bryson is. But his writing talent is without parallel in the hiking community. I've not only read his books; I've studied them. And just as, for example, he will never be as tall as me (I'm 6'11"), I'll never be as good of a writer. I just wish he would show a little more loyalty to the hiking community, given how good we have been to him.

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail, Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Bill Walker

Default Model T

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    Try Model T's books. He has thru hiked a few times and I met him in 06 and found he was a really neat guy as well as a good writer. History plus just a good read in most of them.
    I've met Model T at various trail and writer events--one of the most authentically nice guys in the Trail community. Better yet, he is truly knowledgeable about a vast array of topics (a polymath). Hopefully, he'll keep hiking and keep writing.

Skywalker

front cover v2.0.jpg
    My wife, Jane, trailname: K-Fun, recently released her new book, Women Of The Way: Embracing the Camino. It is a look at the women that hike the 500 mile Camino de Santiago in Spain. We hiked it together in 2011 and she was so entralled with the women that met along the way, she put their stories into a book. It is a good read and women, especially women interested in hiking the Camino, have been her biggest audience thus far. It is in print and on all the Ereaders, such as Kindle and Nook.

I'm also working on my book about the Camino, but it is more along the lines of my first book, Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail. It has plenty of humorous moments, but no bear encounters this time (especially naked encounters). Jane's book will serve to keep me honest.

Skywalker's book on the Camino, The Best Way, is a must read as well, check it out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++