WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Oct 12 thru 24...Where to go????

I have a little dilemma and I'd like to get some input from you guys and gals.

A buddy and I are section hiking the AT and have made it North to Erwin, TN having started at Springer. We're looking to do 150 -200 miles a trip, which would put us up into Virginia at the end of this hike. However, I have a couple of 1/2 priced plane tickets that I must use by the end of the year and are considering using them to fly up North for a change of scenery.

My question for you guys..........
    Where do we go? If you could do any section you wanted, what section would you do? ME, NH, MA? Where is the best wildlife, vistas, etc.?
    I know very little about the northern part of the AT, so I"m hoping you guys can steer us Mississippi folks in the right direction.

T'dog

100 mile Wilderness and Katahdin. However, at the time of year weather could certainly play a part. I'd love to do the100 mile in October but you're at the very end of the possibility for good Katahdin weather and may have to consider winter gear. I'd still do it but that's just me. A few days that include above the tree line hiking sounds absolutley deliciaous with the crisp autumn air.

Also, your reward, in addition to the hike would be a stay at Shaw's in Monson, a great hostel in a great trail town. They will make you feel like you're home, minus the heat and humidity.

That time of year, CT, MA and VT should be pretty with the fall foliage. It may actually be a bit beyond VT's leaf season, but CT and MA should be peak. If I were you, I'd start at the VT/MA border and hike south to CT to try to catch the most of the leaf season.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Maine is wonderful at this time of year, tho you may run into some weather towards the end of the trip. I'd save New Hampshire for another time. But if not Maine, I'd look at doing the entire state of Vermont. (VT section is 150 miles and takes most folks 9-12 days so your time frame would be perfect). Bradley Airport in Western MA is close to the VT/MA line; so is Albany. You could finish your trip in Hanover NH. The Lebanon and Manchester NH airports aren't far, or you could easily get back to Bradley or Albany. Weather will be milder in Southern New England (CT or MA) but the scenery is much better in VT and you'll pretty much have the woods to yourself. Have a great trip!

Images

From MS? You might be a tad cold up here in the tundra. Check Rangely.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/car/

I'm partial to Maine's high peaks region for remote, rugged, scenic, vistas and occaisional Moose or two.
    I think there are 7 4000' footers that you'll go over plus another 4-5 3000'+footers along this stretch from Saddleback mtn(Rangeley area) to Bigelow mtn.(Stratton area)
    This region is about 6-7+- days for most and you could add miles on either end of this region say to Monson to the north or Grafton notch to the south. Good shuttle service in Monson, PM me for shuttle info.
    BTW, snow, freezing rain possible at elevations come mid October here.
    Last edited by woodsy; 09-11-2007 at 07:51.
    WALK ON

Images

Vermont wo9uld be my choice. Glastonbury, Killington and Stratton are awesome. Fire towers on the top of each. Ski gondola free for hikers down to stratton village for breakfast. Resupply in bennington. Inn at Long Trail (McGrath's) - awesome Guinness and Irish music....best of all the trail is beautiful. Pure water and intoxicating smell of pines.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Just drive up and start where you last left off.. so how much do you want for those tickets?
    Also what about heading out west and do something different and come back to the AT next year? Just a thought. Have fun planning!
    A good friend will bail you out of jail but a great friend will be sitting beside you saying "Man that was fun!"

2010 complete

I have flown twice. Once to Bangor, ME which took a full day travelling and once to Manchester, NH which was a 2 hour direct flight from NC with many AT options (VT/NH/MA). I would go with a direct flight. Less chance of them misplacing your luggage.

You guys are great! Thanks for all of the input.
    We've narrowed it down to either a ME trip which would include the 100 mile wilderness or a hike from the VT/MA line to the CT/NY line.
    Both will be nice for different reasons.
    Decisions decisions!!!!

T'Dog

++ New Posts ++