WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tent Footprint

Default Tent Footprint

I usually don't bother using a footprint for my Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD, but I'm wondering if it is worth the weight to protect the tent for the long use of a thru-hike.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

My vote would be YES, but I'm not an ultralighter.

A ground cloth or "footprint" can help keep your floor from getting pin-pricks, and can help keep it a bit drier.

The "official" Clip Flashlight footprint can be set up as a shelter using just the rainfly, poles and stakes. It's also good for throwing down on the floor of the shelter. Does it protect the floor of your tent. I don't really know. I've always used mine under my Clip, and I have no holes in the floor, but I am a bit on the careful side when it comes to my gear so who's to say that the tent floor wouldn't be in the same condition if I had not?

Is it worth the weight? I would say take it if you own it (it weighs a only a few ounces) and if you don't like it or are not using it enough, send it home from Walasi-Yi in Neels Gap
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

I used the tent during my thru-hike without the footprint. I was careful where I pitched it, and the tent is still in good shape today (no holes). You definitely do not need the footprint for this tent. My opinion? Save the weight and the money.

Little Bear
    GA-ME 2000
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Bring the footprint, fly and poles. Leave the tent body home. When you get up to bug country, switch. Carry the tent and send home the footprint. IMO

Default Ground sheet

I carried and used a ground sheet/footprint.

When in a shelter, I spread it out under my thermarest. I think it helps keep the thermarest from being punctured by what ever may be on the shelter floor, and helps keep the sleeping bag a little cleaner.

When tenting, I use it under my tent, and think it helps keep the tent floor from being punctures by small stones and other stuff on the ground.

Worth it? I don't know because I didn't try without using it.

Default Don't need the footprint

You don't even need the foot print for that "past pack" option. In erwin we sent home out tent body, only keep a sheet of tyvek, the fly and poles. We just stuck the poles into the ground. Worked amazingly well for the next 2 months until we got off. Around the start of june we needed bug protection, mainly to read at night. We got a mosquito net from campmor that was a lot lighter than the tent body. Just draped it over the poles before putting up the fly. This worked great too!

It's was a free way to go to a tarp. It was a little heavier than a tarp since we still needed the poles, but it was free!

Gravity Man

Images

i just bought the SD clip flashlight cd 2 at rei. the 2004 model for $169. the footprint was $39. the foot print weighed 10 oz and the tent in stuff sack with everything was 4# 9oz..

for the money, the weight, options for different uses such as fast packing, weather resistance and the SD reputation, it is a superior choice.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Footprint ...

Not sure you need the actual footprint but I would suggest you consider something to go under your tent. For a fraction of the weight you might want to look into a piece of Tyvek. I made it all the way from Springer to Katahdin in 2003 with a single sheet. There are some nights when the weather may force you into a shelter and having something like a piece of Tyvek comes in handy under your mat and sleeping bag.

Anyway ...just a thought.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Anyone know if the footprint is necessary for a MSR Zoid 2.0. I expect any Zoid is the same.

I've been off WB for a few weeks and now I'm back on asking a load of questions...sorry. Just need to get everything sorted.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pincham
    Anyone know if the footprint is necessary for a MSR Zoid 2.0. I expect any Zoid is the same.

I've been off WB for a few weeks and now I'm back on asking a load of questions...sorry. Just need to get everything sorted.

Footprints are not necessary for tents. Most tents use stronger material for the floors so the floors are not particularly delicate. If you do 'poke a hole' in the bottom of your tent it is not the end of the tent, it is usually pretty easy to patch the hole with nylon fabric and seam sealer. Also, a temporary hole in the bottom of the tent isn't likely to cause major problems... unless you end up with your tent in a puddle of water.

Youngblood

++ New Posts ++