WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've mentioned elsewhere that there isn't much information topically available about the individual hiker-related statutes of each trail state, and that what there is seems to be limited either to discussions involving a few people or references to "The Law", which may not be really understood by all.

This is a suggestion generally, but particularly to the admins (depending on their thoughts and/or further responses here):

Why not create "sub forums" for the individual legal environments provided by the trail-states that exist as discussion points about them, much as is done for shelters? And then let each Bar Association know that the sub forum exists, and that they can post to it. WB is basically the "one stop shop" now for most AT info (and growing as to other trail info, I think) as well as backpacking, and this could be a very useful thing.

It'd include not just the local Bar Representatives but hikers and lawyers from other states who wish to learn about the specific legal issues imposed on hikers before a. traveling to the specific state with the intention of hiking or b. espousing informed advice to those intending to do so.

An Example: When traveling to my home town on or around the 4th of July it is illegal to posess, use, or distribute Silly String. Hikers should know things of this nature.

Johnny

"Well, what I figured they did, they cut out a picture of your head and pasted it on another different picture! I've done some collage work myself"

A suggestion for the admins:

Can you create a forum for people who want to suggest the creation of new forums?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    I've mentioned elsewhere that there isn't much information topically available about the individual hiker-related statutes of each trail state, and that what there is seems to be limited either to discussions involving a few people or references to "The Law", which may not be really understood by all.

This is a suggestion generally, but particularly to the admins (depending on their thoughts and/or further responses here):

Why not create "sub forums" for the individual legal environments provided by the trail-states that exist as discussion points about them, much as is done for shelters? And then let each Bar Association know that the sub forum exists, and that they can post to it. WB is basically the "one stop shop" now for most AT info (and growing as to other trail info, I think) as well as backpacking, and this could be a very useful thing.

It'd include not just the local Bar Representatives but hikers and lawyers from other states who wish to learn about the specific legal issues imposed on hikers before a. traveling to the specific state with the intention of hiking or b. espousing informed advice to those intending to do so.

An Example: When traveling to my home town on or around the 4th of July it is illegal to posess, use, or distribute Silly String. Hikers should know things of this nature.

Johnny

"Well, what I figured they did, they cut out a picture of your head and pasted it on another different picture! I've done some collage work myself"
    Johnny--

I think this link would be much more useful to you.

http://www.sarcasmsociety.com

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I think this is a good idea because some of these organizations do a pathetic job with maintaining their websites (MATC is one for sure). It would be nice to have a forum dedicated to sharing information about different trail organizations. Even information on the ATC's website is out of date. For example, when you go to find out information about backpacking workshops, one of them is for a backpacking workshop that took place in 2005(the Kittery trading post one if someone is curious or if someone from the ATC is reading this).All I am really asking for is that these different groups maintain their websites so their information is accurate and up to date.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyinanutshell232 View Post
    I think this is a good idea because some of these organizations do a pathetic job with maintaining their websites (MATC is one for sure). It would be nice to have a forum dedicated to sharing information about different trail organizations. All I am really asking for is that these different groups maintain their websites so their information is accurate and up to date.

Kirby
    I didn't like club websites that weren't updated either. So, even though all I know about HTML is what I learned in 1995, I wound up moving from complaining mostly to myself to (now for several years) a webmaster for two A.T.-maintaining clubs, http://www.satc-hike.org and http://geocities.com/cvatclub . They're not flashy or pretty but I do try to keep them up to date and sometimes even remember to delete the rotten links.

I believe nearly all the A.T. club websites are maintained, like nearly all the A.T., by volunteers. Although speaking for myself feedback is welcomed and I do try to address it when I become aware of it, folks with more time and talent are always welcome to step forward to help. Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Images

kirby,

It would likely do far more good were you to contact MATC's webmaster Terry L. Karkos than WhiteBlaze with your concerns. You might be surprised to find someone who would be grateful for your assistance.

I recently suggested an additional link to SATC's website and it was added the next day.

Shades of Gray

The whole point of the internet is that it's easy to access information located on different servers all over the world, so there's no need to bring all the information to one local spot. Even Google, which has basically done that, merely acts as a way of finding the information instead of serving it.

A list of links is a great idea.

I think this is a good idea because some of these organizations do a pathetic job with maintaining their websites (MATC is one for sure). It would be nice to have a forum dedicated to sharing information about different trail organizations. Even information on the ATC's website is out of date. For example, when you go to find out information about backpacking workshops, one of them is for a backpacking workshop that took place in 2005(the Kittery trading post one if someone is curious or if someone from the ATC is reading this).All I am really asking for is that these different groups maintain their websites so their information is accurate and up to date.

Kirby
    Kirby, you come across as the kind of intelligent and capable person who would make an excellent volunteer for the MATC to assist with maintaining their website, especially since you live in Maine. Even if you're not an I.T. kind of guy, the site looks fairly simple.

Images

Even information on the ATC's website is out of date.

Kirby
    Not the information on hunting seasons and bag limits since it's linked by ATC and provided by the individual states themselves. Who knows more about those regs than the people who create them and enforce them?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Not the information on hunting seasons and bag limits since it's linked by ATC and provided by the individual states themselves. Who knows more about those regs than the people who create them and enforce them?
    While they know the regulations, they do not always do a good job of making it easy to find them or to understand them.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

I couldn't agree more. I have a friend employed by DCNR who knows what you've pointed out. We talk about it and share email about it. I've been pestering others to help make it more available too.

If hikers don't know the laws, regs and other rules they're expected to follow, how can they be expected to follow them? It's a good thing there isn't more enforcement. Without more effort devoted to education, we'd all be locked up before long.

ATC has a wealth of information on their site, but it takes some digging to locate it. What I linked today was something I don't believe I ever saw before and I visit their site often.

Images

Default Volunteer

Speaking from first hand knowledge and experience, it won't surprise to to learn that clubs like the MATC or the ATC have too few volunteers trying their best to do too many jobs. It is not because we want to be over-tasked, but there are not enough folks stepping up to the plate. We welcome all as volunteers though it may not be as easy as you would like to break in but if you have a love of the trail and the passion to go with it you should persevere. COME ON DOWN!!!

PS if you wish to know what my list of jobs looks like send me a PM. And I am a lightweight!!LOL
    Last edited by WalkinHome; 09-17-2007 at 14:45. Reason: spelling error
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    Speaking from first hand knowledge and experience, it won't surprise to to learn that clubs like the MATC or the ATC have too few volunteers trying their best to do too many jobs. It is not because we want to be over-tasked, but there are not enough folks stepping up to the plate. We welcome all as volunteers though it may not be as easy as you would like to break in but if you have a love of the trail and the passion to go with it you should persevere. COME ON DOWN!!!

PS if you wish to know what my list of jobs looks like send me a PM. And I am a lightweight!!LOL
    Yeah, about being busy with MATC;

Weary had a post a little while ago that said, If you want to get something done ask the busy person to do it.

By the way, I just got the section directly south of yours to maintain.

All I am really asking for is that these different groups maintain their websites so their information is accurate and up to date.

Kirby
    Are you asking them or just telling us?

Images

Default ATC's Trail Clubs page

To learn more about A.T. maintaining clubs, go here.

Images

Default Become part of the solution

We, at the MATC, are running as fast as we can. To his credit, Kirby has been on at least two MATC work trips helping build privies. But there is allot more to a maintaining club than the glamorous? trail work LOL.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++