WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Trail Associations/Clubs

I've mentioned elsewhere that there isn't much information topically available about the ALDHA, and that what there is seems to be limited either to discussions involving a few people or references to "the Gathering", which may not be really understood by all.

This is a suggestion generally, but particularly to the admins (depending on their thoughts and/or further responses here):

Why not create "sub forums" for the principal trail groups that exist as discussion points about them, much as is done for shelters? And then let each group know that the sub forum exists, and that they can post to it. WB is basically the "one stop shop" now for most AT info (and growing as to other trail info, I think) as well as backpacking, and this could be a very useful thing.

I'd include not just the ATC, but the ALDHA, the PCTA, and each of the trail maintaining clubs, for starters. I don't mean that they would "own" the site, but that discussions about the group could be centered in them. I think it would help the groups as well as a lot of us here.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Good idea however, all the clubs and associations such as ALDHA, PCT, ATC (and each trail club such as GATC and TEHCC) CDTS, CDTA etc have their own websites. I doubt you're going to get each to participate when they have their own websites to attend too.

In the meantime, I have each club and association that I'm interested in bookmarked on my computer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Good idea however, all the clubs and associations such as ALDHA, PCT, ATC (and each trail club such as GATC and TEHCC) CDTS, CDTA etc have their own websites. I doubt you're going to get each to participate when they have their own websites to attend too.

In the meantime, I have each club and association that I'm interested in bookmarked on my computer
    No, I'm sure they won't participate fully. But it would be a good way for those interested in each to learn more, and for those here who belong to each to share aspects of them. Additionally, most of those sites don't have "forums", and they might be interested in linking to WB for that purpose, knowing that they wouldn't have to moderate it or set it up.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    No, I'm sure they won't participate fully. But it would be a good way for those interested in each to learn more, and for those here who belong to each to share aspects of them. Additionally, most of those sites don't have "forums", and they might be interested in linking to WB for that purpose, knowing that they wouldn't have to moderate it or set it up.
    I don't think Troll or Rock make this an ALL trail site as it's mostly dedicated to the AT. As it is, they do have "other trails" forums. I'm moderator of the CDT forum which is hardly used. For the PCT and CDT most use backcountry.net email lists. Over the years, Ryan has been great and I personally would like to see those list continue and not supplanted. Plus those trails don't have Whiteblazes.

Perhaps, Troll could organize the links page. I have enough for each of the 3 big trails to get him going.

There isn't much information about ALDHA?

Geesh, if you go to www.aldha.org there's all sorts of information available. You can even get their most current Newsletter free at this address.

If that's not enough, Googling "ALDHA" provides 18,000 hits which should keep the most curious soul occupied for awhile.

Anyone who says that there isn't "much information topically" about the Appalachian Long-Distance Hikers Association evidently hasn't spent much time looking for it.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Ryan's National Scenic Trails website provides mountains of information and communication. http://www.backcountry.net/

edit: tip of the diet coke to Sly, who as usual was thinking and acting faster than I
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

I don't think Troll or Rock make this an ALL trail site as it's mostly dedicated to the AT. As it is, they do have "other trails" forums. I'm moderator of the CDT forum which is hardly used. For the PCT and CDT most use backcountry.net email lists. Over the years, Ryan has been great and I personally would like to see those list continue and not supplanted. Plus those trails don't have Whiteblazes.

Perhaps, Troll could organize the links page. I have enough for each of the 3 big trails to get him going.
    I don't disagree with you, Sly, so much as I think that it offers some opportunities to the groups, particularly as "forums" that may not be available on their sites. It's sort of like the the "other trails" point you make; there isn't a lot of traffic, perhaps, but what there is has been very good and useful. Sort of like chicken soup when you're sick: "Can't hurt, might help."

As for Jack's whining about thousands of sites about ALDHA, I think he doesn't understand how many 'newbies' we have here, and how we all are, in many ways, 'newbies' about some things. Frankly, until some other threads, ALDHA as a significant entity didn't really register on me until recently, and while I know there are trail clubs all along the AT, I can't name all of them, and as for other trails, it's hard to find them. Just having the "other trails" list here reminds me of the other major trails. So I don't think it would hurt, and it might help.

I have to say, both in this connection and in relation to the ESC topic: I'm just amazed, honestly amazed, that when suggestions on how to improve things are made (and no, I'm not talking about just myself here), there is so very, very little support, and such major opposition in every way. I realize that it's easier - and maybe more fun - to attack something than to say, "There's some value in that idea...how can we improve it and make it work." But it can be very dispiriting to see nothing but opposition to so many ideas here. Yeah, I know THAT will get attacked, too. That's sad.

May be one of the reasons Orville and Wilbur didn't tell anyone why they were going to North Carolina one time...

The Weasel

Speaking of whining, Weasel, you should really stop and listen to yourself once in awhile.

I'm entirely aware that there are "newbies" here.

Which is why I've suggested on many occasions that the best way to get information on the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association is to visit their website.

Thisis a fairly straightforward suggestion. It seems to me that the best way for people to find out about a particular organization is to actually visit that organization's own web address.

Truly an astounding concept.

Well, to Weasel maybe.

Images

And, for those who don't know about it, how are they to find out, other than to read posts where you attack anyone who disagrees with Jack Tarlin?

Jesus Weasel

Jesus Weasel
    Drunk, on drugs?

I dunno, Weasel. You tell me. If I was interested in the National Audubon Society, I'd probably google "National Audubon Society" to see if they had a website. If I was interested in beekeeping, well I'd probably google "beekeeping". If I was interested in "ALDHA", I'd google "ALDHA."

Got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Speaking of whining, Weasel, you should really stop and listen to yourself once in awhile.

I'm entirely aware that there are "newbies" here.

Which is why I've suggested on many occasions that the best way to get information on the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association is to visit their website.

Thisis a fairly straightforward suggestion. It seems to me that the best way for people to find out about a particular organization is to actually visit that organization's own web address.

Truly an astounding concept.

Well, to Weasel maybe.
    *******. i thought i was an *******.

If I'm not mistaken we already have links to the different trail associations listed on the site, do we not? Yep, found them right up there under Links...

check it out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...elinks.php?c=3
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...links.php?c=13
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...links.php?c=12
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...links.php?c=11

Being as these organizations have their own sites with all the information available, the links should be sufficient.

Our forum list is a mile long already, and we have enough trouble keeping moderators as it is. I seriously doubt Rock, or Attroll will sign off on adding more work for ourselves.

Images

Drunk, on drugs?
    No, I wish. I could use a drink, if I drank much, and, truth be told, I'm almost ashamed to say that, unlike our dear president, not to mention a lot of good people, I've just never used drugs that weren't prescribed, and none of those were even 'fun' (Lipitor? You can get high on Lipitor?????)

No, it's more a 'trail name thing', you know, as in when someone calls you somthing that they think fits. Jack, in one of his recent posts, referred to me as "Jesus Weasel" and, well, you know Jack. He's right, all the time, even when he isn't. So I sorta feel like, since Jack's right, all the time (yeah, I know I said that, but it's true, is'nt it?) that I better fall into line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I dunno, Weasel. You tell me. If I was interested in the National Audubon Society, I'd probably google "National Audubon Society" to see if they had a website. If I was interested in beekeeping, well I'd probably google "beekeeping". If I was interested in "ALDHA", I'd google "ALDHA."

Got it?
    And if I didn't know the ALDHA existed, or was something I should be interested in?

I assume you're suggesting deleting all the "other trails" forums. Gear forums, too. After all, one can google "backpack" or "stove."

Glad to see you're against anything, Jack. Laws, ideas, whatever. Just pretty much damn all. I think they used to call people like that 'nihilists.' There were other names, too, but who knows what the filter here hates?

Jesus Weasel

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    If I'm not mistaken we already have links to the different trail associations listed on the site, do we not? Yep, found them right up there under Links...

check it out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...elinks.php?c=3
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...links.php?c=13
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...links.php?c=12
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/link...links.php?c=11

Being as these organizations have their own sites with all the information available, the links should be sufficient.

Our forum list is a mile long already, and we have enough trouble keeping moderators as it is. I seriously doubt Rock, or Attroll will sign off on adding more work for ourselves.
    That's good to know, Dixi. I obviously haven't explored all the many things here. Thanks for passing that on. I'll take a look later.

The Weasel, formerly Jesus Weasel (sorry, Jack. Hate to let you down. But nah, I'm just The Weasel. But you can keep genuflecting.)

Geezer

I don't disagree with you, Sly, so much as I think that it offers some opportunities to the groups, particularly as "forums" that may not be available on their sites. It's sort of like the the "other trails" point you make; there isn't a lot of traffic, perhaps, but what there is has been very good and useful. Sort of like chicken soup when you're sick: "Can't hurt, might help."

As for Jack's whining about thousands of sites about ALDHA, I think he doesn't understand how many 'newbies' we have here, and how we all are, in many ways, 'newbies' about some things. Frankly, until some other threads, ALDHA as a significant entity didn't really register on me until recently, and while I know there are trail clubs all along the AT, I can't name all of them, and as for other trails, it's hard to find them. Just having the "other trails" list here reminds me of the other major trails. So I don't think it would hurt, and it might help.

I have to say, both in this connection and in relation to the ESC topic: I'm just amazed, honestly amazed, that when suggestions on how to improve things are made (and no, I'm not talking about just myself here), there is so very, very little support, and such major opposition in every way. I realize that it's easier - and maybe more fun - to attack something than to say, "There's some value in that idea...how can we improve it and make it work." But it can be very dispiriting to see nothing but opposition to so many ideas here. Yeah, I know THAT will get attacked, too. That's sad.
    You know, I never cared much for lawyers, but you guys have a great grasp of effective use of words and I can certainly admire a clever baiting, especially when it was so immediately effective. Methinks WD isn't the only one who knows how to push a good button
    Frosty

Images

Frosty, while you certainly have a point, it was said not to bait, because baiting Jack just isn't necessary. It was a recognition of inevitability, combined with, frankly, a little hope that I am wrong. Thanks for not attacking the substance of what I said. I mean that.

The Weasel

Geezer

Frosty, while you certainly have a point, it was said not to bait, because baiting Jack just isn't necessary. It was a recognition of inevitability, combined with, frankly, a little hope that I am wrong. Thanks for not attacking the substance of what I said. I mean that.

The Weasel
    Bait was the wrong word, I guess, but I do think you can push buttons with the best of them. And you certainly called the attack right.

To be honest, when I read the part about you saying you would be attacked for saying what you said, my first thought was to write an over-the-top post "attacking" you. Unfortunately, you were already attacked for real for saying it, so the joke would have been pretty stupid. Not that it was that smart to begin with. But it would have been funny.

And I agree with you that certain post topics gather much criticism. One of the benfits of a forum like this should be that everyone can give their experiences and we can all make decisions based on widely varying opinons. The problem is that saying anything bad about certain places/whatever draws massive fire. It doesn't matter if you are only relaying your experience without judging.

There is an alpha-donkey in every internet forum, whose duty it is respond with heavy artillery at casual criticism, and to keep the posters in line. Most people learn not to post after an attack or two.

There isn't anything you can do about it. Relying on logic would be like watching a debate between an astrologer and an astrophysicist. The astrophysicist would have no chance. Ten pounds of nonsense and ridicule trumps one pound of coherence and logic every time.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    There is an alpha-donkey in every internet forum . . .
    Even though I don't really fit the description, I totally want to be referred to as the alpha-donkey.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Link to A.T. Maintaining Clubs from The Appalachian Trail Home Page:

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/atclubs.html

The PATC has a Trails Forum
    http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/trails/PATC.html

AMC Bulletin Boards
    http://appalachia.outdoors.org/bbs/
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast