WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

18 women? Maybe I'll clean up my act to meet Circle requirements!

Default Update

The second prep session for the 2010 AT Circle Expedition is over (Oct. 3-6). It included a 63-mile 3-day backpack on the AT in northern VA and southern MD.
    It was both realistic and productive for all involved.

From the 60 people who expressed an interest in the expedition, we now have have 34 people (19 females/14 males from 20 states) left.

Next prep session is April 3-6, 2009. It will include a 62-mile 3-day backpack in MD and southern PA.

More info on the Expedition can be found in the website below.

Happy trails!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default Expedition update

The third preparation hike for the Expedition is over (April 3-5). It was a 60+ mile, 3-day backpack from Dahlgren CG tp Pine Grove Furnace SP.
    We have about 20 people from 15 states still interested. Two more prep sessions left until we start northbound on May 1st, 2010.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

The fourth preparation hike for the 2010 AT Circle Expedition was completed on 10/4/09. It was a three-day backpack (63 miles) from Pine Grove Furnace State Park to PA Rt. 325 (Clarks Valley). The first day was 27.4 miles.
    There are 18 people still involved (6 men, 12 women; average age is 52 yo; range of ages 33-65 yo). They are from 15 states.
    I expect the final group to be from 10-12 hikers.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

The fifth and final preparation hike is over. It took place last weekend from Clarks Valley (PA 325) to Port Clinton. It was slightly abbreviated due to vandalism done to our support vehicle while parked at PA645.
    The 17-day prep period is now over. We had a moving final reality check after the hike. We have 10-11 hikers primed and realistically ready to head north from Springer on May 1st. My eighth, and probably last, group up the trail (a 35-year labor of love).
    We still need a support van driver(s).
    Hopefully after a seventh unbroken circle atop Katahdin during Labor Day weekend, I will focus on contradancing, section-hiking, and the establishment of the Appalachian Trail Folk School and ContraBlossom at our home ten miles outside Damascus.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default Update - 7/7/10

67 days down. 60 days to go. Circle is rolling smoothly and unbroken (11 hikers). Group is excellent. Crossing Lehigh Gap this hot day. Looking forward to reaching New England.

My new email is [email protected].
    Cell phone is 423-341-1843
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Glad to hear the Cirle remains unbroken and is still rolling along. We met briefly at Russell Field Shelter in GSMNP when I was section hiking in May and I'm hoping we cross paths again as you venture through New England.

Default Completion

We completed our mission when 11 hikers released an unbroken circle into the sky on Sept. 4th at Katahdin. It was my 8th, and final, expedition. Seven of them had unbroken circles (100% completion rates). The end of a 35-year era in long distance group hiking that may be imitated but will never be duplicated.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++