WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by hiker5 View Post
    Regardless of denomination, you just can't turn down a potluck barring extreme circumstance. An while its a nice bonus if you can bring something, generally guests are very welcome if they just bring their appetite.
    People who offer food want to hear stories. If you tell some stories, and let them experience even a little of backpacking through your words, you are repaying them. If they say "Ooo" or "wow" even once, you have fulfilled your half of the deal.

This tradition pre-dates written history.
    Frosty

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    My first question to you Mr. Weasel....do you walk around with a "Letter of Introduction" all the time, or just when you are hiking on the Appalachian Trail? If it's just when you are on the AT....then what entitles you to flash a letter, and then expect services from churches and Boy Scout Troops?

To me, this is setting a bad example to young hikers, and this sort of behavior is just another symptom of what is going wrong along the Appalachian Trail. I am not sure where this sense of entitlement came from, but it is hurting Everyone who hikes the AT. I see this sense of entitlement all of the time....on Whiteblaze, and on the trail. Hikers are now under the impression that they can do whatever they want just because their hiking the Appalachian Trail. It's this sense of entitlement that is endangering services along the trail, because hikers walk into a trail town and they think the locals should give them the key to the city; or in Mr. Weasels case, a place to stay and a free meal.
    Oh, God, now I'm going to defend The Weasel. What is this world coming to?

I think, Just Jim, that carrying a letter of introduction to members of one's church is not neessarily the same as feeling entitled to get something for nothing. I know the hiker-type you are referring to, and I agree with you whole-heartedly that this type of hiker makes life difficult for every hiker who comes behind him or her. I just don't see the church connection that way. I'm not actively involved in any church, though, so my belief could be wrong.

As far as teh BSA goes, I don't know in what capacity that The Weasel served. I was a Scout Master, and I can tell you that I have paid dues that no amount of free camping will ever repay. I was happy to do it, but it took hours and hours a week, and lots of my own money to see that my scouts got what the needed, as invariably the scouts that needed the most help were the ones whose families had the least to give. Too many single parent households out there, and too many teen-age boys being raised by a woman with no man in the house. (No offense meant, ladies, just that boys need to watch men behave so they know how to behave themselves.)

Anyway, your points are taken, I just don't think they apply to The Weasel. Excuse me, now, I have to go read my "5,000 Best Lawyer Jokes" book to put some balance in my life. Let's see, how many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb.......
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Too many single parent households out there, and too many teen-age boys being raised by a woman with no man in the house. (No offense meant, ladies, just that boys need to watch men behave so they know how to behave themselves.)
    Frosty, not only women might find that offensive. I find it incredible that you don't think a woman can raise a boy into a man and probably do a better job than a man alone could.

More often than not, a single-parent household has a single parent because the man behaved badly. To make it worse, most of these families are in poverty because the deadbeat man doesn't pay child support. It's probably a GOOD thing that boys don't emulate this behavior.

Images

Helluva thing, ain't it?

As far as teh BSA goes, I don't know in what capacity that The Weasel served.
    Scoutmaster 17 years, other leadership positions 13 years, youth member 9 years.

I was a Scout Master, and I can tell you that I have paid dues that no amount of free camping will ever repay. I was happy to do it, but it took hours and hours a week, and lots of my own money to see that my scouts got what the needed, as invariably the scouts that needed the most help were the ones whose families had the least to give.
    It only takes an hour a week. The families with the least money, as Frosty also knows were the ones who gave the most in goodness. But even for the couple hours a month it takes to be a SM, there's no "free camping." Any time I've stayed at a Scout Camp as a visitor I've paid the same daily rate as any other adult visitor. A bargain, but you also get to help with Scouts. Which is worth any amount of money.

Anyway, your points are taken, I just don't think they apply to The Weasel. Excuse me, now, I have to go read my "5,000 Best Lawyer Jokes" book to put some balance in my life. Let's see, how many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb.......
    None. A light bulb is the only thing a lawyer won't screw.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Frosty, not only women might find that offensive. I find it incredible that you don't think a woman can raise a boy into a man and probably do a better job than a man alone could.

More often than not, a single-parent household has a single parent because the man behaved badly. To make it worse, most of these families are in poverty because the deadbeat man doesn't pay child support. It's probably a GOOD thing that boys don't emulate this behavior.
    Tater, there you go flyin' off the handle. Frosty really meant that one of the values of Scouting is that it provides what Scouting refers to as a "positive adult role model" for a lot of youth who can benefit from it. Scouting has women in all roles, including Scoutmaster (yes, that's the title, much as a woman might become a Master of Science). And a lot of single parent families (including ones where it is the father who is the single parent) benefit from having their son in a place where a man or a woman shows the value of honest, good living. Where the absent parent is a man who behaved badly, sometimes a Scout leader - as with a coach or others - can show that not all men behave that way.

Give him a little credit, OK? If he's been a Scoutmaster more than 15 minutes, he's done some good things for kids, and families, and has a lot more sensitivity than you might think.

See, Frosty? Not hard defending you, either!

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Tater, there you go flyin' off the handle.
    I'm good at it, too!

I'm wading through the data from my Thru-hiker survey right now. I don't have any solid numbers just yet, but just from eyeballing things, $1.75-$2 / mile seems to be the minimum lately.

I'm presenting a thumbnail of the survey results at The Gathering. Ya'll should come out!

Geezer

I didn't say single men could raise boys better than single women could. It wasn't man vs woman. It was that a vital part of a teenage boy's education is missing without a man in the house. He might guidance from an uncle or a male teacher or a male neighbor. If he is lucky, he will have a loving father AND a guiding uncle, teacher and neighbor. But not all kids are so lucky.

Single parents have a tough job, with no one at their back during tough teenage years. All of the single moms of my Cub and Boy Scouts did an outstanding job. Still, as hard as they worked, they could not show a boy how a man behave in everyday situations. My son lived with me during high school after my divorce, and it was fine. If I had had a daughter, though, I would be the first to admit that there would be many things I could NOT have shown her. It isn't the big things, the importance of good grades. It's the everyday life things, how to dress for a first date.

Yes, that is true. Sad, but very true. All the more reason why the young man would benefit by having someone to emulate. I was always aware when our troop leaders had a discussion and/or disagreement, that the boys were hyper-aware. For some, a disagreement meant screaming, name-calling, and even violence. It is nice to take boys hiking and camping, etc, but in the long run, showing teenage boys that men can solve problems and differences peacefully and calmly may be the best lesson Scout Leaders give.
    Frosty

I think, Just Jim, that carrying a letter of introduction to members of one's church is not neessarily the same as feeling entitled to get something for nothing. I know the hiker-type you are referring to, and I agree with you whole-heartedly that this type of hiker makes life difficult for every hiker who comes behind him or her. I just don't see the church connection that way. I'm not actively involved in any church, though, so my belief could be wrong.

As far as teh BSA goes, I don't know in what capacity that The Weasel served. I was a Scout Master, and I can tell you that I have paid dues that no amount of free camping will ever repay. I was happy to do it, but it took hours and hours a week, and lots of my own money to see that my scouts got what the needed, as invariably the scouts that needed the most help were the ones whose families had the least to give. Too many single parent households out there, and too many teen-age boys being raised by a woman with no man in the house. (No offense meant, ladies, just that boys need to watch men behave so they know how to behave themselves.)

Hey Frosty,

I have to come to an understanding with Weasel on the "Letter of Introduction" issue, and the "Boy Scout Issue", so it's all good. I should have minded my own business I suppose.

Just Jim

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    I'm presenting a thumbnail of the survey results at The Gathering. Ya'll should come out!
    I'm looking forward to it!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Hey Frosty,

I have to come to an understanding with Weasel on the "Letter of Introduction" issue, and the "Boy Scout Issue", so it's all good. I should have minded my own business I suppose.

Just Jim
    Nah, discussion is good. You had some excellent points about hiker behavior. I don't think we can emphasize enough how poor behavior on some hikers' parts reflects on all of us.

I just didn't see The Weasel as being one of those types.
    Frosty

Images

Nah, discussion is good. You had some excellent points about hiker behavior. I don't think we can emphasize enough how poor behavior on some hikers' parts reflects on all of us.

I just didn't see The Weasel as being one of those types.
    Jim's post was reasonable in tone, raised good points, and I enjoyed the discussion. No one was wrong here, and there should be more like it.

TW

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++