WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Camp, stealth camp IN Harpers Ferry?

Ill be taking the train from Washington to HF but the problem is the train doesnt get there until 5:15 or so. The ATC office closes at 5 and I have to go there to get my picture taken and all that fun stuff. It would be great not to have to go too far so the next morning it would be easy to get to. The Comfort Inn is too expensive for me and while there is a hostel across the river on the MD side I hate to backtrack. When I walked through there in May there were some spots beside the Potomac but if theres anything closer that would be great.

Images

Hilltop House offers "Hiker Rooms" for about $40 if I remember right. Small, no TV, but otherwise convenient. Give em a call to be sure.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Stealthing in the park is a bad idea. The Hilltop house is your best bet...and, they'll open the bar for you for a beer or two if you're real nice about it.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Look in ALDHA's Online Companion or better yet call ATC to determine your best option. Surely ATC has fielded this question before and can provide you with a solution. Seems to me I heard mentioned at some point a place where tenting was permitted, but I may be mistaken or that may no longer be the case.

Whatever you do, don't create problems for yourself or others by camping where you have no business camping. Camping in Maryland is at designated sites only.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-18-2007 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    Ill be taking the train from Washington to HF but the problem is the train doesnt get there until 5:15 or so. The ATC office closes at 5 and I have to go there to get my picture taken and all that fun stuff. It would be great not to have to go too far so the next morning it would be easy to get to. The Comfort Inn is too expensive for me and while there is a hostel across the river on the MD side I hate to backtrack. When I walked through there in May there were some spots beside the Potomac but if theres anything closer that would be great.
    heck, wait till well after dark and just lay out behind the ATC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Hey, Wolf! Just wondering, when did you get the authority to grant permission to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Hey, Wolf! Just wondering, when did you get the authority to grant permission to do that?
    dude. don't take everything so serious.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post

I would be lying if I said this hadnt crossed my mind. Theres woods right back behind there . It not worth getting arrested over though.

Isn't there a hostel about 1.5 miles north of Harpers Ferry near the lady doctor that advertises on the trail? You know the one I mean, Sandy Hook, MD.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Isn't there a hostel about 1.5 miles north of Harpers Ferry near the lady doctor that advertises on the trail? You know the one I mean, Sandy Hook, MD.
    hey you're pretty funny. you oughta go on stage. it leaves in 10 minutes

Images

dude. don't take everything so serious.
    I don't take your posts seriously, but someone else might.

I got a PM a few days ago. I can't remember who sent it. He was looking for a place to "stealth" in Damascus.

He wondered whether it would be OK to wait until you've gone to bed, camp in your yard and leave before you awakened, since what you wouldn't know wouldn't bother you. I told him you likely wouldn't mind since you don't take everything so serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I don't take your posts seriously, but someone else might.

I got a PM a few days ago. I can't remember who sent it. He was looking for a place to "stealth" in Damascus.

He wondered whether it would be OK to wait until you've gone to bed, camp in your yard and leave before you awakened, since what you wouldn't know wouldn't bother you. I told him you likely wouldn't mind since you don't take everything so serious.
    nice try scooter

In 05 I saw some people camping on islands in the middle of the river.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

arrive late, leave early. that's my advice
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I walked about 1/4 of a mile north on the AT past town and camped (legally, as far as I can tell)

hey blackmath, i'll PM you with all the cool stealth spots in HF. wouldn't want shades of pink and his cohorts to actually do something they read on the internet.

Hey, if you just happen to fall down asleep, then wake up some time later, who can blame you?

But I generally avoid hiking in populated areas, so I will likely have to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Hey, if you just happen to fall down asleep, then wake up some time later, who can blame you?

But I generally avoid hiking in populated areas, so I will likely have to adapt.
    who are you s hittin? you don't hike. you're a pack sniffer

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post

Hey there blackmath,

you could camp south of town.....there is a nice flat spot across the bridge south of town. There is a little traffic noise, but it's okay.

Just Jim

Images

nice try scooter
    Thanks, maybe someday, when I don't give a damn anymore -- although I don't expect that day anytime soon and it may never come -- I'll post all kinds of trash to litter A.T. websites too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++